Anyone mod an Squier strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by zeppelinpage4, Jul 25, 2008.

1. zeppelinpage4

zeppelinpage4 Member

Has anyone modded one off these in the past?

Just out of curiosity what were the results, I mean if the guitar plays well and such. Could some inexpensive mods make this as good as an MIM Fender?

The MS specs say it's got an alder body and a maple neck.

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I suppose it's an OK idea but if you're not careful you run the risk of spending as much, or more, on mods as the guitar is worth.

I would start with pots, caps, switch & jack and I honestly don't know if I'd go much further than that.

3. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

It all depends on which "era" Squire you're talking about....the Japanese ones fetch a pretty good price on the market...stock. The Koreans seem to be a step below them. The Chinese and Indonesians seem to float at the bottom of the barrell.

I've seen quite a few of all versions with the more common mods...new electronics, bridges/saddles and nuts.

Outside of those mods, fretwork (rakes and leveling) seem to be a requirement with most of the Chinese and Indonesians, just to make them a player.

4. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

I used my first guitar, a squier, as a home for my parts while waiting for the neck and body that I ordered. I replaced everything with top notch parts. It sounded waaaaayyy better than it did stock, and it played decently. Those same parts now sound much better in a "proper" high quality guitar.

5. frank62

frank62 Member

There is no need to mod the new ones. They are good for what they are stock. In fact the new VV series is way better than they have ever been and at 300 probably the best buy out there right now for a budget priced guitar or bass. The Telecaster is almost too good to be true.

6. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

I pulled a Squier Affinity Strat out of the dumpster of a flooded music store. It had probably been submerged for a few days. The neck was ruined. For about $50 I replaced it with an inexpensive Mighty Mite that was probably also Chinese. The pickups were a bit shrill and I replaced them for $15 with a set from the GFS blowout section. I replaced the pickguard but that was more an aesthetic thing than any functional problem with the original. I now enjoy playing this Strat as much as my '76 Fender Strat, though given the quality of mid-'70s Fenders that may not be saying a lot. I had to buy a pickup switch tip and whammy bar as they were missing when I got the guitar. I think I have about $100 total in it by now.

[​IMG]

-Scott

7. frank62

frank62 Member

Nice looking guitar Scott. Good job saving that axe.

8. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

Had to be done. It was the only humane thing possible. You would have done the same. ;)

-Scott

9. UMT

UMT Member

I bought my first strat in 1984. Huge store and they must have had 50 of them hanging on the wall I think I played all 50 of them, American and Japanese. I finally settled on a white Japanese Squier because everything just felt right about it. (Little did I know at the time that alot of guitars aren't set up all that well straight from the factory so I'm thinking I picked that one because the setup was right and felt great) The guitar was $325.00 bucks. I immediately had a set of 'UltraSonics' (basically mini humbuckers) installed and that was the sweetest sounding guitar! I played that axe for 22 years until I came into possession of a Tele HH and it was all over for me. For the stuff I do, the HH setup with coil taps is the only way to fly. The 'Ultrasonics' were 150.00 EACH installed so I had more $ in pickups than the guitar. To this day, the pickups are worth more than the guitar but after 22 years and probably over a couple thousand gigs. I can't sell it. So I put it in retirement on a stand in the living room and still play it a bit for old times sake.

The point is, find a guitar that fits you personally that you like. You can always change the pickups and do whatever other mods you like. Yeah, you may end up with an axe that you can't get your money back out of it but is that the point? I NEVER regretted putting those expensive, hot pickups in my old Strat.

10. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    I put Fender CS '54 pickups in my old Squier Strat. Sounded pretty good after that! Videos of it on my site.