Anyone not able to get used to thier SG?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kingsxman, May 6, 2008.

1. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I recently picked up a 61 reissue SG. I dig the sound of it (although the 57 classics tend to be a bit muddy on the bottom end) but I just cant seem to get used to the way it hangs and feels. Is it possible for a guitar to be too light? Its a beautiful guitar. It feels great sitting down. I love the access to the upper frets. Its a bit neck heavy and it wants to hang away from my body.

Still deciding if I'm going to keep it long term or not...

2. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

I had a 72 SG which was a baratone guitar really long neck, it was hard to play in a strap, kept neck diving on me. my strap pin was on the back was pain.

3. biggreen

biggreen Member

I think the problem is not everyone is rock star enough to handle the SG. It is a wild beast and not easy to tame.

[​IMG]

4. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Have you tried it with a leather strap? The rawhide on the inside tends to grip your clothes better so you don't have to fight to hold it in position. You could always high-strap it:crazyguy.

5. biggreen

biggreen Member

True, I use a leather strap with suede on the backside and neck weight isn't an issue at all for me. I do know how it tends to hang top forward though if you hold it a certain way and I imagine if you had a gut it would be brutal. I sometimes wrap the back of the strap around the front by the input jack with the neck way up in the air like angus there and that holds it down nicely or mostly I use the right foot forward method which works pretty well.

I don't Find LPs any easier really, my strat on the other hand is a different story. Everything about Leos guitar is ergonomicly ideal IMO.

6. biggreen

biggreen Member

One thing about the SG is that it is the best guitar for angling up like in that pic there. The strap on the back allows you to get a wicked angle on it as shown by a seamingly minature angus young, man, the guitar is almost as big as he is, lol. I really think they are meant to be held at an angle like that for best playability.

7. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

...and yet he himself is not tamed - irony
    [​IMG]

8. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I use to own this but sold it because I just couldn't take the neck dip when on a strap. I too felt way more at home with a LP.

By the way, I dig '61 SGs. I think the '57s balance right in that guitar and I'm not usually a fan of Gibson pups.

[​IMG]

9. randy alameda

randy alameda Member

Albuquerque, New Mexico (yes its in the USA)
    It took some time .... , and getting used to the twitchy neck, easy to 'pull' them out of tune, I've always worn them low ... and that seemed to help with the neck balance , but there is no 'substitute' for the access to the upper registry ... , especially for slide! I will agree that they aren't for everyone, but once they get into your blood ...........
    [​IMG]
    You can never have enough .... !!!!!!!!!

10. timeforheroes

timeforheroes Member

Sg's are good for duckwalkin' thanks to chuck berry and angus young

11. Blind Rat

Blind Rat Member

I just sold one on Ebay,but it felt much better after I moved both strap pins I moved the front one to the neck heel and the back one about 3 inches toward the bass side of the body no more drooping neck.

12. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I've played SGs since 1979. When I play other guitars the neck feels too close in to the body. I've owned several Les Pauls & Strats and could never get along with them.

[​IMG]

13. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I have had:
    • Firebrand SG
    • 1973 SG
    • SG Special
    • Greco SG copy
    • '61 Reissue

I have sold them all. The 1973 was the best, but something was "off" for me with all of them.

I REALLY want to like them. Every time I see some of my favorite performers (George Harrison, Tom Petty, Jeff Tweedy) play one, I want to run out and buy one. In fact, I'll be right back...........:crazyguy

14. codeorama

codeorama Member

Totally agree... I bought a 61 reissue SG and loved how it looked and sounded, but hated the way it hung from the strap and was neck heavy. I had to sell it for that alone.
    I really wanted to love it, but couldn't.

15. Weasel

Weasel Member

Two options here. Use a wider strap.....move the strap button to the horn. Simple fix.

16. phantasm

phantasm Member

Hoboman- what model SG is the one to the right in your photo? I had one (metallic green), but can't remember the model name. Very unusual neck for an SG- wide and flat, like a shredder axe.

17. oldrock

oldrock Member

I personally love the way the SG feels. So much lighter than my LP standard and the thin body is nice too. The neck heavy thing isn't an issue with the 3" leather strap I use. I also find I change the angle I hold an SG a bit from an LP. I tend to angle the SG neck more up than an LP and it feels good that way. I think there is plenty of room for both an SG and LP in most folks guitar rack. I actually have an SG, LP and strat and like all three for different things.

18. greuvin

greuvin Member

If you don't like the "neck dive" but you love the small pickguard look , try an SG from '86 or '87 like this one.....

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=1839076

Those 2 years are pretty unique in that the neck is inset therefore giving the axe a shorter overall length AND has rosewood fretboard AND trapezoid inlays. No neck dive. Pretty cool!!!

19. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

I started out playing on SGs, then moved onto LPs. The LPs felt really natural to me. So I stopped playing them for awhile until I found a '62 SG/LP Jr. They feel great now that I've not played them awhile. I guess I missed playing them. I will say this though, they are perfect for sitting around the house & playing unplugged while you watch TV.

People accuse LP Juniors of being one trick ponies, which I disagree with, but I think this '62 actually is a bit of a one trick pony tonally. So I refer to it as my Stunt Guitar. (SG, get it? nyuk nyuk nyuk) It can be a bit farty sounding at times, but for some songs my band plays, there's not a better suited guitar.

20. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I owned two from the '60s. An SG Junior and later an SG Special. The special was cool in some ways, but overall neither worked for me. Neck too skinny front to back, too flat, body too light, balance off. But that's just me. Lots of other folks love them.