Anyone NOT like the Fender Princeton reissue?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cber1517, Aug 18, 2008.

1. cber1517

cber1517 Member

I tried one out this weekend and was not impressed. I thought the treble was very shrill, even with it turned as low as 2 (!) The breakup was awful sounding, flubby and farty. Maybe its the 10' speaker or the tubes but I couldn't believe that Fender is asking $900 for this thing. :messedup

I have a modded Blues Junior that sounds better than this but I wanted to try it out since I don't own a 6L6 powered combo. I would think the Deluxe Reverb is the better buy at that price so I am curious how successful the Princeton will be. Maybe its meant to be a clean amp only with pedals doing the OD. These are supposed to be great studio/recording amps so maybe I'm clueless. :crazyguy

Oh well. Just curious if anyone else thought the same thing.

2. westerhever

westerhever Member

i had one and it sounded pretty nice at lower volumes.lots of treble but not icepicky at all.didn't care for the breakup as well.i liked the amp much more through a 1/12" extension cab.i returned mine because of the terrible rattling i had when i played on the low e-string at higher volumes.

3. blueserv

blueserv Member

I didn't care for a new one that I tried in a local store. In all fairness though, the speaker probably wasn't broken in yet. I'd like to hear one with a good speaker in it.

4. gaddis

gaddis Member

What is the "speaker break in" stuff I've been hearing about recently? I've been playing for 40 years. Honestly, I haven't heard of it until now.

5. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Have you been playing 40 year old speakers Then you don't need to worry about it.

Otherwise, new speakers take some time to work out the stiffness.

BTW, I've been playing almost 40 years now, and it's been common knowledge since I was a kid.

6. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I've owned a handful of original blackface Princeton Reverbs, and have never been a huge fan. They've just never been that easy to breakup smoothly. To me, they've always seemed like a low-power version of a Twin Reverb.

So my expectation level of the reissue is not high. The PR RI may be built better that the Blues Jr, but the BJ, for me, has always been a more dynamic sounding 15 watt amp than my original PR's.

7. Andre357

Andre357 Member

It's something people didn't worry about as much until the good old internet came along :D

To me, an amp fundamentally sounds good or it doesn't.....

Speaker changes most certainley change tonality.....and broken in speakers, sound well, broken in....

But as Eddie Van Halen once said , you can't polish a turd...( I'm not talkin about the princeton, I haven't even tried one...I'm speaking in general ;) )

8. Cottage

Cottage Member

I never did like the orig. PRs much either. Much prefered the Deluxe.

9. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Yes, the Deluxe pushed the power tubes much harder, sometimes to the detriment of lesser robust 6V6's, and I suspect this had much to do with its near-breakup tone and dynamics.

Same thing with the lowly Blues Jr. Absolutely burns through EL84's, but the JJ's are relatively low-cost, sound killer and are well worth having to replace every 3 months of steady, band volume playing.

10. gaddis

gaddis Member

Well the only issue I have with my new PRRI is the brightness. Someone on another board told me that the "speaker not being broken in yet" may be the reason, that's why I'm asking. For the record, my first amp was a 1969 Princeton Reverb (which I bought new in 1969). I don't remember any speaker break-in period on that amp or any other amp I've ever owned, all of which were bought new. I wondering if this is like the mythical acoustic guitar "opening up" phenomenon that everybody talks about but no one will technically acknowledge.

11. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Does the Princeton Reverb reissue have a bright cap like the Deluxe Reverb Reissue does on the vibrato channel?

This could explain the harsh treble response....

12. gaddis

gaddis Member

No it doesn't. At least the schematic doesn't show one. It sorta sounds like it has one though.

13. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

I love mine. Sounds amazing.

14. Occam

Occam Member

Overly bright with harsh breakup could also be speaker break in...that is what un-broken in speakers sound like compared to their well used counter parts.

15. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Love mine too! :) REALLY nice right out of the box. STELLAR now that I've swapped out the stock speaker for a VERY sweet sounding 30 watt Weber Alnico 10A125. The NOS RCA 12AX7A I put in V1 didn't hurt either. My SRV Strat, Fulltone OCD V4, and the PRRI are a tonal match made in heaven as far as I'm concerned. Must say I prefer single coils over humbuckers with the PRRI. No rattles issues to speak of either.

Pretty decent amp!

16. RedRock

RedRock Member

The Princeton Reverb does not have screen grid resistors.
    The amp is somewhat less bright with 100 ohm 2w screen grid resistors.
    The amp is significantly less bright with 470 ohm 2w screen grid resistors.
    To my knowledge, all of Fender's amps through the 70s with 2 or more
    power tubes had 470 ohm screen grid resistors and used long tailed phase
    inverters; the Princeton Reverb uses a concertina phase inverter. Fender
    may have been trying to achieve a particular sound by not using screen
    grid resistors with the Princeton Reverb. It's a simple thing to add any value
    screen grid resistors to the PR's power tube sockets and/or shunt excessive
    top end to ground with a few well-placed caps (47pf to 470pf).

17. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Could also be crappy tubes. What is Fender using in these things?

18. gunnar1104

gunnar1104 Member

A little too much treble, but that's what EQ's are for...

19. gaddis

gaddis Member

Groove Tubes

Aside from the treble issue, which for the time being I'm fixing with an EQ pedal, it sounds AWESOME. It's a perfect match for my '62 RI strat.

20. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

No offense, but "Groove Tubes" isn't really a tube type. Groove Tube matches and private labels all kinds of tubes.

If they're Russian/Sovtek tubes, they can be decent, especially the 12AX7's, but I am not crazy about Sovtek 6V6's. If they're Chinese, they're generally pretty ratty sounding.