Anyone notice a change in <<quality>> of recent D'addario strrings?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eugewong, Aug 27, 2008.

1. eugewong

eugewong Member

Round Here we stay up very very very very late
    Just thought I'd toss this up for discussion, has anyone noticed a drop in quality in regards to recent (+/- 6-12months) D'addario strings?

I've been a long-time user, and really like D'addario due to the plastic air-tight bags. I like to buy my strings in relative bulk (15-20 packs at a time), and tend to go for string runs every 3-4 months or so.

I actually like Ernie Ball strings a little better, but stick to D'addario due to the long shelf-life the plastic bags offer.

Recently however, I've noticed that the D'addarios I put on start to show wear (discolouration) within the first 2-3 hours of playing, and even begin to oxidize/'rust' within 2-3 days. In the past, this only used to happen after about a week. I've noticed this for the last 5-6 packs I've used, and wanted to check if it's just me?

For the record, I live in Singapore where it's pretty hot and wet, humidity is in the 70-80% region all year long. I always wipe down my strings after playing.

Anyone else have the same experience?

2. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

3. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

The package and the ball-end color did change, so obviously they did a renewal of some kind.
    Haven't noticed a real difference in the actual string though.

4. mapleneck72

mapleneck72 Member

No problems with mine.

5. eugewong

eugewong Member

Hmm...

maybe all the beer I've been drinking is making my finger oils/sweat more acidic..

but I can't cut back on that!?!

6. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

You may have got a bad batch. ??

I bought a 10 pack over the winter and 3 of the sets were missing the high E string. GC replaced the sets.
    I have also noticed the G string lately, new from the pack, I can see some twisting. Can't tell if its a reflection or defect, can't really feel it either. The strings feel the same and don't break, but look odd.
    This is not every set.
    I have always had good luck otherwise.
    Maybe some manufacturing defects that slip thru.

7. DavidE

DavidE Member

They said there have been no changes. They checked the code and said my strings were a year old. They also sent me 5 free fresh sets. Still, a year old in the sealed pack should be fine. I bought a ton of sets in bulk to last me a year. I replaced one of my D'Addario high e strings that broke when I put the string on with a 10 year old EB in non-sealed packaging and that string was fine and didn't break.

8. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I've experienced exactly the same thing lately (about 10 different packs bought at different times) and I'm done w/ them. My sweat is somewhat acidic, but when I wipe the strings down the cloth ends up w/ a lot of black residue- this has never happened in the past w/ these strings (I've been using them for 25+ years) so I don't know what's going on. Interesting to hear that it's not just me.

9. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

i've broken 2 strings in the past month and hadn't broken a single one in at least 5 years up to then.

10. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I used to use them exclusively on all of my guitars. I noticed recently when I play them my picking hand turns black and I thought it was odd. It especially happens on the phosphor bronze acoustic strings where my thumb and forefinger where I hold the pick turn black. WTF is up with that? Recently I've changed over to LaBellas on my electrics. Much more even EQ, punchier leads, and easier bends than the D'Addario strings, and since I can't get a 10 pack deal on 11's from D'Addario, the LaBella 11's are within a dollar a pack. It's a no brainer.

11. eugewong

eugewong Member

Just to report, on my most recent set of D'addarios...

I changed my strings on Sunday evening, tuned up, noodled for 5 mins, wiped them down, guitar went into the case.
    3-4 hour rehearsal on Tuesday night (same night I noticed the strings degrading as I was playing them. 2 hours in and the strings started feeling weird). Wiped down the strings individually after the rehearsal.
    Last night (weds night), took my guitar out to work on some parts and noticed that the strings are noticibly grey-er, rough, and generally unpleasant to the touch. Still sounds okay, and plays in tune, but just feels really yucky.

I think I'm going to go back to EBs and just keep all the packs of d'addarios I have now as spares..

Also, I just noticed that EBs have come out with sealed packages too, looks like that's a good thing!

12. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I haven't bought any lately but I've always been happy with them. On the other hand, my Gibson LP DC Faded came with Brite Wires about 3 years ago and they're still on the guitar. I've been looking for them every time I go to a music store to buy some to see if it's a fluke. I haven't gigged with it which is why I just let them go until one breaks, which they haven't. I don't have acidic skin though so they don't rust and I have about 6 other guitars that I play too, but this is a record for me. Can't find a store that has them though.

13. slambango

slambango Active Member

I've been using D'Addario for 20 yrs. Every now and then I get a bad box, but long-term I haven't noticed any change.

On a side note I recently tried "Pure Nickel" strings from D'Addario and I love the sound. Much warmer than the steel strings. Plus, nickel is softer than steel so it's easier on my frets/bridge. I can't get over the sound & feel of these strings. Absolutely fantastic!

14. Phil M

Phil M Member

Overall, I think they're fine and they're still the string that I use, but I have noticed bad batches twice. Both times were in the bulk boxes that I picked up for $29. They look exactly the same as the single packs though. I think bad ones are bound to slip through here and there.

15. 6789

6789 Member

I've been using EHR350 Half Rounds 12-52 Jazz Light for the last few years and recently I had two new packs with bum Low E strings. They sounded fine when I put them on, but later in the day or the next day after only about 30 minutes of playing time, they went dead. This only happened to the Low E string, but it was annoying enough that I'm trying other brands now. I mean they were completely dead - thunk a thunk a thump - they sounded like a 30 year old flat-wound strings. The new packs came in a new designed silver package. they used to come in a yellow package.

And I recently broke two Wound G strings and one high E string and I rarely ever break strings.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  16. hbentley

hbentley Member

i've been playing d'addario strings for a while. i usually don't have trouble with breaking strings, but this last case i purchased has been giving me a hard time in that area. i broke 2 strings at a gig this weekend which never happens. i'm hoping i just bought a bad box of 'em.

17. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

i too have been breaking strings lately.i haven't broken one in about 2 years but the last 3 or 4 sets i've broken 4. D and A strings, what's up with that. i don't use any other strings. i thought i had found my grail.

18. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

I've had high e strings unravelling at the ball lately.

19. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

I've been playing guitar for 32 years, and I have tried just about every brand name string. I now use GHS Progressives. In my opinion these are the best strings... at least for me.

20. versatel

versatel Member

Me too! Also B strings unravelling . Really sux. This never happened to me before this year---I've been using this brand for 10+ years.