Anyone notice a change in <<quality>> of recent D'addario strrings?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eugewong, Aug 27, 2008.

1. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Supporting Member

I'd chalk that up to late summer humidity....string killer.

2. 85db

85db Member

I also noticed that D'Addario strings I've purchased within the last 6 months are not the same D'Addario's I'm used to. I don't care that the ball ends now look discolored... the tone seems to have gotten muddier and brighter! To my ears they just don't have the same clarity and weight. I'm referring to EXL110's and EXL120's I bought from Musician's Friend both in bulk and retail packaging. Once I'm through these strings I'll have to look for a replacement. It's sad to part with these strings...

3. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Man, I have sets for electrics, flatops for my National and med Phosphor Bronze sets for my acoustics and I haven't noticed a problem with any of them. Actually, and likely reflecting as much a change in my chemistry as anything else, I've noticed my strings seem to be lasting longer if anything. Weird.

4. Gian Russo

Gian Russo Member

Ball ends are breaking all the time now. I buy strings from two dealers and have confirmed with them that they buy directly from D'Addario. Just took a couple strings off my L-5 Premier and photographed. The ball ends are stretched and split. They were about to break. Maybe D'Addario is buying them from some foreign supplier? Inferior material.