Anyone order a G&L through a dealer?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rotten, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I'm considering ordering an ASAT Classic. I have very specific requests, but nothing unusual that is not offered as part of their standard options. Has anyone done that? Was your experience good, bad, not as expected? How long did it take? Thanks.

2. hackenfort

hackenfort Supporting Member

I ordered one once and it came out looking like what I wanted, but they really missed the mark with the weight of the guitar. I ordered an ultra light swamp ash body - ie guitar to weigh under 7lbs (fullerton model), in blonde.

When the guitar arrived I could tell the second I picked it up, it was no where close to under 7lbs, but it was so nice I kept it. The dealer was great and offered to order another one for me.

Neat part, under the finish in the pickup cavity, it said "ultra light weight - special order"

3. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

I did twice, but it was back in 99 & 00 so I'm not sure if it is relevant now. I got exactly what I wanted both times (ASAT Deluxe and George Fullerton Model Legacy).

4. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

I purchased a special order G&L ASAT Classic through a local dealer. Flawless transaction -- great guitar. Approximately six weeks from order to delivery. Delivery times can vary greatly but I think for the most part they are pretty reasonable.

You may want to post at the G&L forum http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/ for advice on specific dealers. Too bad Buffalo Bros is gone -- they were the best dealer in your area.

5. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Twice, also back in '99-'00. I've heard that things like weight can be hit or miss but mine didn't disappoint: A light ASAT Z-3 Semihollow with a large mild V neck (I asked for a big neck and got the biggest G&L neck I've seen); and an ASAT Special SH with Bigsby that was also light and gorgeous.

6. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

I've done it twice - an ASAT Classic AlNiCo, ash/maple, front and rear contours, and a Legacy, alder/rosewood, locking tuners, billet saddles.

They were both beautiful, and very well-made. At the time you could 'request' light weight, so I did...the ASAT is right at 7lb even (it's still here); the Legacy was almost 9 (it left).

7. jb's 52

jb's 52 Member

I recently ordered a G&L Legacy Natural HB through Adirondack and everything about the guitar was exactly what I wanted. Ordering it through them all happened through email and the web. Communication during this process was excellent and Adirondack was extremely helpful. I worked with John and Dennis. The order was expected to be completed between 8 to 12 weeks, I got it 9 1/2. Anyhow, working through Adirondack was great. I had a few questions between the time I ordered it and the time I got the guitar and those questions were promptly answered. The only thing that I would ask for next time, is that I'm made aware of when the guitar will arrive. To be fair, I'm not sure if G&L communicated my shipment to Adirondack or not. This is because I asked for the guitar to be shipped directly to me from G&L since the latter and I are in the same state...as are you. I can do my own set so I didn't feel it was necessary to have the guitar travel to Adirondack, on the east coast, and then back to me again on the west coast. In all, I'd go through Adirondack again.

8. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Member

Make sure u specify not to bevel the frets in too much.
    I ordered online a non-custom US Classic and the bevels were a touch more than 1/16".

Ya need all the fretboard real estate you can use!

9. TwoToneGreen

TwoToneGreen Member

If you want a light-weight ASAT you should get a pine or empress body. Upfront Guitars occasionally order batches of pine ASATs so they might let you buy through them. Otherwise it's not a standard option.

Most ASATs I've come across weigh in at over 8lbs.

10. BallisticGuitars

BallisticGuitars Supporting Member

I did a custom order for an ASAT Z-3 semi-hollow through Wild West Guitars about 8 years ago. They got the G&L rep on the phone while I was in the store to confirm options and lead time. The guitar showed up exactly as ordered and WWG gave me a great deal. I have no idea what that experience would be like today, though.

11. Lihns

Lihns Member

Hey, I talked to The Guitar Store, a dealer for them up here about this weight issue. They specifically said G&L pays no heed to weight requests on custom orders, as to sum it up very broadly, it would be too frivolous and time consuming for them apparently. Funny that they marked it ultra light weight for some reason though? Hahaha

12. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I'm looking for semi-hollow so I'm thinking that I couldn't control the weight even if I wanted to. I would like a #1 neck not shaved down much; I'd want it as thick as possible. Sounds like I need to pick a dealer to contact.