Anyone ordered from Normans rare guitars in L.A.?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Forgotten, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Forgotten

Forgotten Member

They always got some sweet guitars, but I'm on the eastcoast Just wondering if anyone has bought anything from them and had it shipped.. It says free shipping on orders over $100, so I assume guitars are included. I like some of the strats, and they have a good assortment of lp's. Some are overpriced but I see some fair deals.

2. rockitcity

rockitcity Member

Norm's is a pretty major vintage guitar vendor, sort of like Gruhn's for the west coast. Usually has a good inventory of rare guitars, hence the name. I have not bought from him, but I did have an appraisal done there a few years ago. He's a pretty tough negotiator; not afraid to hold on to stock for what he needs to get out of it. He has a regular store location and is a legitimate business, so if you see something you like, I don't think you'd have any big problems.

3. straightblues

straightblues Member

He has the good stuff. I go to his shop a few times a year. The stuff is always well setup. I would buy from them.

4. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I bought one of my favorite Guilds from Norman's. They took pics of it for me, gave me hands-on reports, and otherwise made it one of the best online sales I've ever had.

I'd buy from them again in a second.

5. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

Norm's Rare Guitars has pretty much been an L.A. icon for 30+ years.

The Real Deal.

6. OOG

OOG Member

never bought from Norm
    sold him some beauties back in the day

He's a very straight forward guy

7. HEY!YOU!

HEY!YOU! Senior Member

Bought my 335 from him a few years back. Closet queen.

Straight shooter, made an offer below what they were asking, he hemmed and hawed a little and then accepted.

All original, small volute 69/70 orange sticker 335. $2000 out the door.
    Non- original case, my leverage.

Awesome sounding, he seemed to remember getting it although he buys and sells thousands of guitars.

8. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Only complaint I have is that his prices are well above market on most things. Other than that, totally legit.

9. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

I've bought from him before. You can certainly negotiate. Otherwise, I'd agree. Great gear and legit, but he is shooting for above market prices.

10. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

never bought from him but wasted many days sitting in his shop playing all those wonderful guitars.

11. Forgotten

Forgotten Member

I knew most of the prices are high, but what is a geetar shop if you can't haggle, although it's better to do in person. Next time I see something on their site I can't live without, I will contact them. Thanks for the replies guys.

Did you guys ever see their youtube video where Christopher Mintz-Plasse comes in? The guy there is in awe him, and that he holds a right hander lefty like Jimi, then he says he'll come back and buy out the store. I Don't know how much money he has, but i'm pretty sure he'd be broke long before the walls were bare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qDzxIVWdvM

12. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I get the negotiation thing, but negotiating to get a piece down to where it should be in the first place is kind of counter-productive.

13. Forgotten

Forgotten Member

The vintage stuff is way out there, but some of the newer stuff isn't that bad. I think I saw an 83 strat on there for $995. That's around a $700-800 guitar, not saying it's the guitar for me, but I bet they would be willing to deal.

14. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I was interested in one of their Les Pauls. After going back and forth discussing the guitar in multiple emails, including them sending me additional pictures, it finally came out that it was marked as a "second". I had to ask, they never offered the info. Their pictures of the back of the headstock were not clear at all, I had to ask. Had I not asked, I could have bought the guitar and they never would have told me. That annoyed me. So I would say "caveat emptor".

15. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I would have no fear dealing with Norm. He is a straight shooter and knows his stuff and has the reputation to go with it. He sells at market price.

16. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

Apparently it's worked for Norm. That's what businesses do. Try to stay in business.

17. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

It seems to me that the point of negotiation with anyone for anything is precisely to get the price where it "should" be, for both the buyer and the seller to be happy enough to want to do the deal.

I've bought some guitars from Norm over the years, always in person though. If Norm sees me playing a guitar he will often just offer me a better price without my even asking. I buy player stuff, not collectable or vintage, and have gotten decent deals from him, new and used. I bought a new AVRI62 Hot Rod from him for less than GC's price at the time.

18. zenitB

zenitB Supporting Member

All I can say about buying from Norm is that you could have gotten it cheaper somewhere else.
    All I've got to say about selling to Norm is that even GC offered me more than he did.

19. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

Norm has always done me right.

20. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Not a fan here either.