Anyone out there own a Quidley Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rod, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Just curious how you like it,,,,[I did a trade with a fellow forumite, and have a 1/12 combo coming]
    Anyone compared the Quidley to a Badger or Budda SD-18?

2. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

Hey, Rod, I get the impression you've been able to check out a lot of amps since that Gain Star - I've been pretty anxious to try a Quidley. The one thing about those amps that strikes me as different (and probably pretty cool in a gigging situation, as long as your sound guy can get comfortable with it) is that the amps are designed to be dimed. All of the control is in your guitar's volume knob(s). I like simplicity, so the whole idea really appeals to me.

I'll be anxious to hear what you think of the combo you're expecting.

3. Rod

Hi Mikey...how are you?...Yea, I really try to find an amp, or amps that have a good feel to how I play...Being in Santa Fe means there's no where to try anything, so I do the trading thing here on TGP...The amp that I've really been happy with when it's dialed in is a Budda SD-18 1/12 combo....I put an RV-5 reverb and a GE-20 eq in the loop, and it realy has great tone, and a nice feel with how I play....and the overdrive channel truly sounds better than an Eternity ,,,,so I'm hoping the Quidley is different but similar to that...It does have a higher gain setting in the footswitch as well as boost, and supposidley a good FX loop, we'll see...The amp is supposed to sound great at lower volume, and it has an 8 watt setting, which is nice for playing the hotel gigs here in Santa Fe....I traded my 50 watt Aiken Sabre....just don't use or need 50 watt amps any more...any big stage, I'm always miked anyways, and the Budda is plenty loud...I seem to like the Cathode bias/El84/tube rectifier set up for me...I can get a great singing tone with that set up if the design is right...we shall see...I'll keep you informed....take care,,,rod

4. X - Road 28

X - Road 28 Member

I've got one coming this week as well, I am very curious to know if the amp runs quiet or does it have hums and hisses.

I have a Swart Atomic Space tone that is quiet as a mouse, I know they are different monsters on the tonal range. I'll post my review once I get it, I'm surprised how little info there is out there.

X

5. SethX9

SethX9 Member

Hey Rod and a howdy to everybody else. Brand new here to TGP. I bought my Quidley about a month ago and after 30+ years of playing through more amps than I care to imagine...for me this is not only the best sounding amp but the best playing amp I've ever owned. Some folks talk about 'holy grail' but I've always talked about 'black coffee'. You can dress it up with flavors and cream but if you love coffee you have to start with a damn fine black coffee. That is exactly what the Quidley is. On the surface it is deceptively simple but for tone hounds this little machine (I own the 1x12 combo) produces a broad pallette of rich harmonic sounds that are (and this is not to be undersold) useable.

Cave Creek Guitars, just outside of Phoenix, is gonna be the closest place to New Mexico to hear one. Well, there and my house :). Seriously though, I know everyone is looking for something a little different but Ed Quidley is making one of the very finest guitar amps available anywhere for any price. I'd almost promise that it wouldn't be a wasted drive to come play one.

6. Rod

Hi SethXp....Welcome...I love the Quidley ...a great amp!!!,,,I now live in Maine.....

7. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

My pusher carries Quidley now. Very nice sounding amps the few I have heard. He has a head/cab in there now with a wattage switch allowing it ro run at 8 watts so you can crank it up without shaking your pictures from the walls. I like what I heard.

But I can not justify another amp at this time so I shall continue to like them from afar :)

8. Peppy

Peppy Member

Welcome to The Gear Page Seth.

Guitars Etc. in Tucson has two Quidli (my plural for Quidley)...the 1 X 12" combo and the head/2 X 12" cab. A few months back blues54 on here and myself did a clinic for these... plus the Swart line. Great amps and Ed himself flew in here to The Old Pueblo to help with the clinic. Last Monday night George Lynch was at Guitars Etc. to do a clinic and ended up foregoing the Marshall he had planned on using and went with the Quidley head/2 X 12" cab. He really liked it and told Adrian (Guitars Etc.'s owner) he wanted to come back and A/B with another amp that George owns.

Anyone truly interested in one should contact Adrian at www.guitarsetc.com or at 1-520-748-1111.

9. Peppy

Peppy Member

Just got off the phone with Adrian from Guitars Etc. He said he is willing to ship a Quidley for trial with a 48-hour approval period. Also talked to Ed Quidley just prior...he is more than willing to make tweaks to his amps to tailor to one's specific needs/style if need be. So, if you're thinking about a Quidley I would think this kind of service should help you in your decision. They are some great sounding, great looking and well-built amplifiers.

10. Rod

My Quidley is 4 sale if anyone is interested

11. trwigg

trwigg Member

Can you elaborate on why the quick sale? From reading through this whole post everybody was stoked so, I am just a bit curious. Thanks.

12. Rod

Hi...It's a great great amp, but I'm just looking for some different tones....something with 40-50 watts...I'm in a Blues, blues/rock trio and need more power...Not trying to take away the great qualities of the amp, because it has many...it truly sounds like a 50 watt Plexi, not an 18 watter...great lows, balanced mids/highs...footswitchable boost and gain...or both..FX loop....7 watts or 22 watts...Negative feedback switch for looser or tighter sounds...pretty amazing

13. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

Paul has two of them as of yesterday :D

14. Mikey Likes It

Geez, Rod - Santa Fe to Maine?? Get ready for winter, amigo!

I'd be interested in your Quidley, but I just got a Nolatone Tango 22 and I'm about to build a Trinity head. All amped up for now.

15. Rod

Hi Mikey...You got it covered....How are you??

16. Mikey Likes It

Loving life - decided to put all my money into gear instead of the stock market! Some of this stuff HAS to appreciate, no?

17. jkaffenb

jkaffenb Member

Hi,
    I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this, but I have mine on ebay right now in order to pay off my credit card debt from purchasing a Historic 58 Anniversary ES-335.
    John

18. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

Speaking of appreciation...I appreciate your purchase of a Nolatone! :)
    How's it treating you?

19. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Santa Fe to Maine, what a change! Grew up in Maine ....

20. Mikey Likes It

Beautifully! Plan to log a little more playing time and post my (glowing) first impressions very soon!