Anyone overwhelmed by digital choices

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by mike361, Jan 31, 2015.

1. mike361

mike361 Member

So many choices from so many company's I just stick with my old stompboxes. I have been trying to decide on going rack to floorboard for effects. Or floorboard only with midi control into a tube amp. Seems like every week theirs something coming soon or someone mentions this is better than that. Some products get discontinued and stop support and your left with second or third best. Oh and don't forget now your shiny new board is worth half of what it was a week ago. I just get sick of trying to keep up. I'me sure it's just I don't have the time or money to stay on the upgrade train. Been down that road and couldn't give away some old boards. Seems like you would have to never keep anything longer that 6 months not to lose your butt. Not flaming anyone or anything. I love great music toys just get buyers anxiety anytime I think I found something to replace my pedalboard. Sorry for the rant:hide

2. Lain

Lain Member

Huh? I would argue that there are more pedals coming out each month than digital floorboards, yet you don't feel the need to keep up with it or upgrade your pedals....

The Boss GT-100 (for example) sounds like a Boss GT-100, no matter what other companies release. It doesn't magically change it's sound just because something new has been released.

3. MrLahey

MrLahey Member

I for one always seem to be behind the curve on keeping up. It took me quite some time to come to terms with technology and now I have found a system that works for me. Every 4 years or so I start shopping/looking at whats new. In between those times I try to not focus on the next big thing every few weeks/months and focus on having fun with the pedals/toys I have at the moment. Since I began learning to play in the early 80s technology has come a long way for guitarists. Nothing wrong with having all those nice shiny new pedals or having something others would turn their noses at so long as its serving you well. The market is a bit overwhelming these days. Its nice to have all the choices/options available but I totally understand how it can make ones head spin.

4. erniecaster

erniecaster Member

Hello my dear friend!

You name it!

Years ago, I played my Vox Tonelab LE and found myself thinking "There must be something better sounding in that box" every day. I tweaked for hours, was happy one day, doubted the next one, tweaked again, was happy for one day and so on.

I switched back to amp plus stomp boxes. What is the easiest way to put the stomp boxes on a board? How do I manage the power supply? Four cable? FX-Loop? Maybe there is a better overdrive on the market? The board was heavy and so the amp. No roadie, no fun.

To be honest, the sound was good. I had an overdrive, a delay, a booster and my tuner, together with my 2 channel amp.

I tried the Mustang Floor to make things easier - it went worse, reminded my to the Tonelab. No solution for me - I was clever enough to buy that thing used and sold it without losing money.

These days I found my holy grail - the Tech21 FlyRig 5. Since than I am more or less happy, sometimes I think about adding another stompbox but then I tell me to wait one week and everything is fine again. There is a kind of update now, the new FlyRig RK. I don´t care. To me, this thing solved all my problems in electric gear. I admit to be a Tech21 fanboy but I have no relationship to that company, pay the whole prices and don´t get paid.

That doesn´mean that my holy grail might be yours. I only want to say that there might be a solution for you somewhere out there.

And honestly - I work on computers the whole day. I don´t want LCD-screens on my equipment any more and I don´t want any more rat race.

cu

erniecaster

5. Electric I

Electric I Member

You make some good points. I have some older Zoom/ToneLab units I bet I couldn't give away now.

Ultimately, I'm glad new boxes keep coming out. The sounds keep getting better & so do the features. Still, I'm really torn at this point on whether to stick with a Zoom G3 & EPSi, get an Amplifire or go high end with a Kemper & just be done with it.

6. mike361

mike361 Member

I used to love getting a new board or amp modeler. So exciting, all the sounds you could get from one amp, effects up the wazoo. I bought a vox ADvtx 60 with the pedalboard and paid around $1100 for it all. Great amp, control everything with your feet, store 960 presets with the board ect... After 2 yrs it was worth $300. I know it is the same with any technology, pc's, cell phones. Almost anything in this age. It's just the way it is and progress doesn't stop. Just keeps me off the train. I know it's not about the money and if you like something it doesn't matter blah blah, but the next best thing usually is that for a reason. It does sound better and has more of everything. Just need to get a good board and stop looking. But which one, oh crap, here we go again:crazyguy

7. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I found amp models and effect models in the HD 500 that did what I need, and rarely venture beyond a few that really suit me. A bunch of the models (like high gain amps) have no appeal to me whatsoever. A lot of the FX (especially the weird ones and chorus and flange and phaser) have no place in the music I make. There are 2 or 3 delays I like best, I just stick with them. Only one gain pedal and only one compressor that I really need, I don't venture beyond them.

I'm sure I use only 10 or 15 % of what's in there, but I'm glad that I get to pick.

I rarely tweak anymore. Got it all set up, just leave it alone.

It doesn't overwhelm me at all.

8. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

]What you don't say is why you're thinking about going digital. At this point, there aren't many scenarios where you couldn't adapt a bunch of pedals to provide multifx type capabilities. There are tools that eliminate tap dancing. There are products that enable you to run direct to FOH from your board.

If you're set on keeping your pedals, you can do so and achieve the functionality you seek. It might be larger/heavier an end up costing more than going all-in on a unified system but such is the price for flexibility and reduced learning curve.

9. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

It's all a matter of perspective and user preference. For example, not everyone is out chasing the next great thing. Some of us find a solution (digital, analalog, or both) that works for us and stuck with it. If you are the type who is always searching for something new, then digital can get expensive. Of course, this is true of analog gear too.

I'm generally GAS free and always have been. That isn't because I have the prefect gear, it's because when I find something I like I tend to play it and my searching stops. That is, I'm not always chasing something that might be better. I have a lot of gear (compared to friends IRL... not nearly as much as many hear), but all of it was bought because I had a perceived need.

This also (for me) takes resale out of the equation. I rarely sell gear because I tend to keep it.

But obviously, that's me and I'm probably the odd duck in a place like TGP.

Peace,

10. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

Welcome to the consumer tech era!

11. LagunaMan

LagunaMan Member

It's overwhelming in a sense that if you're a good player then you can make good music with any of the existing devices on the market new and old. The good thing is that you can buy some cheap devices and be totally happy with the sound and it doesn't cost you much. I think your setup with stomps and tube amp is a very good sounding and flexible way to go about making music. You really don't need much unless you like fiddling with technology and then the axefx would be nice to have. Seems to me that you are contempt with your current setup and you don't need to look for anything else to buy. Play more, fiddle less :)

12. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

I try a lot of stuff, and keep what is easiest to use for me. I put my equipment below in case someone wants to know about any of them. By looking, you can tell it's not to brag, not much TGP approved stuff in that list!

13. ryentzer

ryentzer Member

What is overwhelming to me is while I'm not new to computer software, I'm very new to electric guitar. The sheer number of different effects, amps, amp software, etc. makes my mind numb. I won't be playing in front of anyone any time soon if at all so for now I'm using GB and GR through a Presonus interface. I'm still learning how to get a decent tone. :)

14. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Well it's all given us a lot of choices, and that's really a great thing..If you want the ultimate high end Kemper or Axefx? You then need a midi foot controller and an FrFr or amp and cab. To much to deal with and want an all in one modeler/ foot controller? Boss GT-100 , HD500, tech 21 Fly Rig or Zoom G3 G5, Fender Mustang floor, and now the AmpliFire.. Still need an FRFR or guitar cab and amp. maybe you want the amp on your pedalboard and just deal with that and a speaker cab.. Quilter tone block or ISP power amp, ect. Or you love your HD-500 but hate the cabs, enter the little EPSI ir cab foot pedal. There are a lot of choices, but there are many great choices mostly at very reasonable prices until you get up into high end stuff. All this modeler gear has its own personalities, much like guitars and guitar amps have.. I think the key to it all is to find gear that you think will work for you and then spend the time in figuring out its personality and stick with it so that you work together with the technology to get your sounds....
    It's a great time to be a guitarist....

15. mike361

mike361 Member

You are all correct and I appreciate the great reply's. I have 3 tube amps and don't ever plan on digital for the core sound. But there are a few YouTube videos of folks using a multi into a tube amp that are pretty impressive. But as soon as you think about simplifying your board and look into these, there are good and bad sides to each of them. Reading opinions just makes things even more hard to decide. So I stay on the sides and am happy with my stomps, just thought it would be a good talking point if others feel the same and what they did about it. The closest thing I seem to be leaning towards is the eleven rack used with a fcb1010 that I already own but have not used. Or a used gt10. My amp is a Marshall Jvm 410 head into a 4x12 EVH cab. Sounds glorious. Effects are a dd20 delay, sparkle drive mod, green Russian muff, Butler tube driver, boss eq,compressor,and chorus. Oh and a Digetech iOS stomp that they discontinued after about a year and stopped development on. That was $150 out the window.:rolleyes:

16. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Member

I use PC modelers, but I think it's down to the Zoom Gx and Line 6 Pod HD series for all-in-one affordable model pedals. The others in the price range are older generation. The Tech 21 isn't a digital modeler, so? Each has it's own attributes. I think the Pod HD has deeper editing, and more expandability. Incidentally, the issue with the cabs in the Pod HD is that the Cab DEP Res was set at 50% as a default in each preset. It actually adds resonance to the speaker IR's, so users should start with it at 0%, and add a little if desired. NuMetal players who prefer a tight sound generally won't want any, but a little could make for a huge sound that may have a place somewhere – maybe more for lead playing.

If you are an all analogue guy, there is a new type of component called a Molecular Junction Device that can be configured to produce the same S-curve as various tube amp designs. It lends that great dynamic tube amp sound and feel to other classic components (op amp, FET, silicon, etc). It's really impressive and should be out in pedal form soon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-...LV9g&x-yt-cl=84503534&feature=player_embedded

17. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

I don't find all the new digiboxes overwhelming. I think it's exciting that we have so many options. Yet, I don't feel the need to hurry up and upgrade. I continue to use an obsolete 11R because it works for me. Also, I still use my stomp boxes, many of which are discontinued. If a piece of gear works for me, I don't worry about its status in the current market. I have a lot of dated gear including an RP250, 11R, EX7, FX17, FX22 and Liquid Blues that are no longer being manufactured. I'm not going to stop using gear I like just because it's discontinued or dated. Yet, I'm still interested in cutting edge gear development and I'll always consider adopting something new like I did when the MS70CDR was released, for example. What a great time to be a guitar player!

18. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

That's very impressive and quite fascinating... What a difference in the tonal response of those Molecular Junction Devices.. Wow... Gotta love our Canadian friends for this...

19. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

No rant at all Mike. BTW, while looking at what is at NAMM I saw way, way, WAY more pedals than digital multieffects.

Speaking for myself I find that it's best for me to not always focus on gear in the sense of what's new or coming out next week, month, year, etc. I'm a songwriter and I need to focus on creating and writing songs.

Yes I'm a collector, because I used to design and build effects. So sometimes I'm looking for things to buy. I also like understanding song tones are achieved, so I create presets. But I need to get back to writing. I can always buy new gear, but I can buy new songs. I have to craft them.

So IMHO, you've got the right idea in not focusing on gear. Focus on your music and use whatever gear does what you want.

20. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

IMO the Zoom G3 is the only one I bought and had zero regrets/idea to sell, etc.

For $120-150, you get at the very least a competent tuner and looper with drum machine, and a USB audio interface. On top of that, you get a good clean signal with no tone loss in front of a tube amp. Then you get very good EQ, admirable comp/drive/wet fx and some more spacey stuff, along with solid amp modeling... And some routing flexibility in the chain.

It kinda set a new standard for me in ease of use and learning how to dial a good direct sound FOH, mainly because of how easy/approachable it is.

Beyond that, the options are all good, just a matter of learning curve. At this point it's like using an ipad. There are enough online resources to manage any of the digital boxes, just a matter of investment.