Anyone own 2 of the same guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Byknfool, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Byknfool

Byknfool Member

Background: I have a Reverend Billy Corgan model guitar that is hands down the best guitar I own personally and actually the best guitar I have ever played (and I've played my fair share). The guitar feels like it was custom made for me. Anyway, another one just popped up locally for a decent price and I'm strongly considering buying it because the one I have is SO GOOD!

Anyone own 2 of the exact same model of guitar just because the first one you owned was so sweet?

If yes, do you find they play the same or is that a pipe dream?

Thanks for humoring me with your responses.

lifeson1, JmpOne, noisebloom and 3 others like this.
  2. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Got two 58 explorers. One is mint so it only comes out for the big gigs. The others beat up a bit and had a neck repair, so I use for bar gigs and open mic nights where somebody might want to borrow it.

leonard d rock and Sidmore like this.
  3. LikeLinus

LikeLinus Member

nevermind

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  4. MichaelDCarter

MichaelDCarter Member

I've had several of the "same" guitars over the years due to needing a backup and having homes in different parts of the country. I still have essentially the same vintage strats, although from different years. I also have a couple almost identical CS strats. I don't know that it's a wise idea, it's worked well for me. I think for a while, at different periods of time, I had two Peavey Wolfgangs, two LP customs, two PRS 594s DC in addition to the multiple strats and teles. From that I can say that PRS quality control and craftsmanship is second to none. There's literally no difference in those instruments. Gibson struggles there. Fender CS has pretty high QC also.

Good luck with your jouney.

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  5. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I've typically had 2 (or more:rolleyes:) identical PRS McCarties hanging around.

They are incredibly consistent guitars as far as playability and really close as far as tone with the same pickups/strings/setups/etc.

I'm down to 1 now because I really don't gig anymore and don't need a backup gathering dust. I kept the first one I bought because it really felt like the guitar was made for me the first day I touched it.

6. eigentone

eigentone Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I have a few guitars and basses that are 'doubles.' I even have one set of 'triples' just because the model was so scant and one of them is my #1. After I find a design/model I really click with, I often use that as a basis for that 'format.' The extras may be backups or used for gigs. And they may be used for variants with different string sizes, different pickups, etc. Do I regret it? Nope. There can be a lot of variation between to or three guitars built to the same spec on the same production line.

A few examples:

Of the three Les Pauls, two are pretty close in sound and feel. The third is quite different -- it is more of a rocker. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

The pair of Esquires are the most consistent. I like the neck profile on the Inca Silver one the most. The Shoreline Gold one is a little lighter.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    cratz2, superstratjunky, bsic and 6 others like this.
  7. alexanderplatz

alexanderplatz Member

I have three Telecasters and two vintage Duo Sonics. I'm not necessarily saying that that represents smart resource mgmt on my part though.

ripple likes this.
  8. Luke V

Luke V Supporting Member

6 Strats '62 AVRI, '65 AVRI, EJ, Voodoo Strat, '73 Strat not reissue, and a Squier Strat
    2 335s
    2 LP Juniors

9. ThePunisher

ThePunisher Member

I have 2 of the new Fender 70th Broadcasters, one is the production line that was modded by Dave Petillo and the Custom Shop which will be modded by him once this virus thing is hopefully over:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

I have 2 R9's
    I've also got a 68' Custom, but it's different enough to not really count I guess.

They're quite a bit different as far as the necks go, the one without the pickguard has the bigger fuller neck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

superstratjunky, cjp54, James and 6 others like this.
  11. Pongo

Pongo Member

I've never played two guitars, even of the exact same type and model, that were exactly the same. Very similar? Definitely. Perfect match? Never. Not even close. So yeah, its a pipe dream that it'll be exactly the same. However, it also doesn't mean a second Billy Corgan Rev won't play/sound as good (but different) or even better than the one you have currently.

For some perspective, I have two Reverend Senseis and two Suhr Classic S's that are identical except for the pickups... each guitar has its own distinct personality, and all four of them are equally good in their own ways. Couldn't be happier, and it'd take a stupidly good sale/trade offer for me to give any of those guitars up.

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  12. Blue Lizard

Blue Lizard Member

The wider question on “two of the same kind” of guitar has been asked before, but I can certainly feel your reasoning behind wanting two of the exact same models. I also have a bit of a prepper (some may say OCD) side which means that when I find something that I like and works really well, I’m itching to get another ‘just in case’...!

Nearest I got was having three Music Man Axis guitars at one point, but they were all a little different (an Axis, a SuperSport and an MM90). Have since sold the MM90, but the other two are staying!

[​IMG]

13. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

For a second there, I thought I was in The Emporium.

14. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I have 3 strats, an old one that doesn't get taken out much anymore, an daily driver, and an old backup that is now set up for slide.

I actually have 2 teles. Not that I wanted or needed two teles. I just kept upgrading the tele until I had enough old parts left over to built a tele, lol. And funny thing is, I end up playing the reconstructed tele more than the other one.

Other than that, no.

15. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I have three strats... does that count?? :dunno

16. AlanH

AlanH Member

Not exactly the same but I always take one of the following two types to gigs on a rotating basis

-MIJ Ibanez RG with HSH and locking trem (I have an RG550 Genesis, an RG550EX and an RG1570)

-Gibson sold body with two humbuckers (I have an SG Special Faded, a LP Studio Tribute and a LP Signature 2014)

I can pretty much play anything in any tuning with one of each from those two groups.

17. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Member

I have two PRS West Street Limiteds, but they’re different.... colors.

saitama likes this.
  18. nasonm

nasonm Member

I've had 2 of the same but usually not for very long. I always end up selling one and keeping the one that speaks to me more.

19. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

There is always a "best" one until you find one that is better. The grass is not always greener though and Ive sold more guitars I regret selling than I'd like to admit. In the scheme of things non of this things affects my playing or the ability to try and create music, are we stuck in our own musicians hell? Caring about things only another obsessed guitarist would understand?

JDouglee, JmpOne, PBGas and 13 others like this.
  20. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

I have a pair of identical Harley Benton CST-24Ts. The first one arrived with a cracked neck after being dropped directly on the headstock. They sent a replacement and did not ask for the original back. Because of the type of break, the string tension actually pulls it closed, so it was easy to wick some superglue into the crack. After sanding & re-polishing the area surrounding the crack, it's virtually unnoticeable.

Playing the two guitars back to back was pretty interesting. The non cracked guitar is over a full pound heavier than the cracked one. They were both beautifully set up, with great fretwork, and identical action. The bridge pickup sounds exactly the same on both. The neck pickup sounds quite different between the two. The neck pickup in the heavier guitar is much fuller as well as louder throughout the whole frequency range. Even after adjusting pickup heights so that the other guitar had the pickup higher, this characteristic remained. I'm not sure if it's the pickup itself or the pots, but when I get time, I plan to swap the pickups. I prefer the model with the cracked neck because it's so much lighter.

noisebloom likes this.