anyone own a chrome blue strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by auffredou, Jan 31, 2008.

1. auffredou

auffredou Member

so after all my discussion and head bashing about whether or not to get that strat, i found another one at a local store for 549. american standard in chrome blue with a maple neck. the other one would have had to have been shipped to me without playing it, and the guy at the store said the frets "stuck out a little bit." for an american standard going for $499 thats been in the store for 5 months, im pretty sure that translates too: "the frets stick out a ton and it doesnt play well at all."

ive played this one when i was looking at strats, and i thought to myself "this is the feel im going for," but at the time I wasnt crazy about the color. all in all, the color doesnt matter too much and it wouldnt be a tragedy to have a "different" color like this rather than the played out blacks, sunburts, etc. i have a blue teal flip flop les paul studio, so itd kinda be keeping with my flashy color signature thing. anyone own one theyd be willing to post pics of?

2. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

I had a chrome blue strat with a maple neck. I think the color is real nice. Sorry but I dont have any pics of that guitar. They are sharp though.

3. auffredou

auffredou Member

this one plays like a dream too, at least compared to most american standards ive played at guitar centers and what not. pretty good price for the shape its in, it looks brand new. i think im gonna plug it in again tomorrow and see if it speaks to me.

4. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

Here's my chrome blue Strat story, with pics. First, the Strat is THE perfect guitar for me. Nothing else comes close. Next, blue is my favorite color, hands down.

Back in 2004, I had an American Strat for a few years, and was itching for another. The one I had was a Texas Special, and I wanted a plain old American Strat. So I go in the local store, and sweet Moses, there's this incredibly blue Strat hanging there. It took a little while, and several twists and turns, but in the end I got it. It happens to have a 50th anniv neckplate too, 1954-2004, which is kinda cool.

It came with a rosewood board, however I swapped necks with my Texas Special, which made them both look better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After neck swap:
    [​IMG]

As far as frets go, if their sticking out, it usually means the guitar is under humidified. Mine was like this when I bought it. A month at home in a more guitar-friendly environment, and the neck expanded back to where it should've been, and the frets are great again.

Neckplate:
    [​IMG]

5. auffredou

auffredou Member

nice, guitarfish, thanks alot for posting those pictures. i still cant decide if its worth swinging for it or not yet, i dont know that itll replace my les paul as my main axe and be worth the 500-600, but i definitely like the color.

6. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

As a Strat man, it was a no brainer for me. I would love a Gibson Les Paul too, but it wouldn't get used as much, and as an amateur, I can't justify the $$, so instead, I got an Epi LP, did some mods, and I have a lot of fun with it.

I can't see a Strat replacing an LP, or vice versa. They are different animals, each with their own strong points. That said, if you can bring a MIA Strat into your arsenal for $500-600, that's not a bad thing.

7. auffredou

auffredou Member

yeah, my brains in a pretzel over the whole thing. ive got some extra cash that would be okay to part with, but i dont know if i should wait and get some other stuff.

8. BrianRowland

BrianRowland Member

I just bought mine ... pick guard and back cover still had the plastic on them. Kept it on, took off the pick guard and dropped my EMGs in. Very happy .. will NEVER sell this baby. And in case you are wondering, yes, that is an American Deluxe tremolo ... I am giving it a whirl, but will probably replace with a Super-Vee Blade runner for better tuning stability. ;-)

[​IMG]

9. billy budapest

billy budapest Supporting Member

10. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

BB that's real nice. I've always kicked around the idea of adding a pearloid guard.