Anyone own a Fender Custom Shop Eric Clapton?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Redbell, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Redbell

Redbell Member

& If you do is it worth the upcharge from the standard issue? Show & Tell Time Pics, clips, rants and opinions etc. appreciated.
    Yes, I tried the search function, don't hand me all that noise!

2. moosewayne

moosewayne Supporting Member

No, but I'd like one.
    For me it would be worth the upcharge just to not have to see that obnoxious 'Blackie' on the damn headstock face!!

I'm a huge fan of the Fender Clapton (if it were hardtail it'd be the perfect solid body guitar!!).
    The CS ones that I've played--never owned--did have that 'one step above' feel to an already very good guitar.

3. Fusionshred

Fusionshred Supporting Member

I had one. Absolutely perfect guitar. Regret selling it. Loved that the signature is not on the front just like on his actual guitar. Mine was peuter which was a custom color on the CS model at the time.

moosewayne likes this.
  4. /13guitarman

/13guitarman Member

I have one, but mostly play a Eric Johnson Strat with Suhr pickups. The Custom shop EC sounds and plays great, I just prefer the Eric Johnson. I did change the Eric Johnson's bridge to a callaham and put a humbucker SSV in the bridge position so it is not completely stocked. I played a regular signature series Eric Clapton for a long time. the biggest difference that I noticed with the Custom Shop model was the neck. The custom shop neck is just perfect, the way it feels and looks. It's hard to explain.

5. motorcitychick

motorcitychick Member

I have one of the custom shop Blackie's and it is a great guitar. The one I have has the signature on the front of the headstock, since I bought it about 10 years ago from MakenMusic. The ones that are being built now, have the signature on the back of the headstock.
    The custom shop version is worth the extra money.

6. 1GoldTop

1GoldTop Supporting Member

4yrs ago I played a used peuter cs at guitar center. The neck felt perfect! 1st and only guitar I instantly fell in love with.
    Should have bought it.

7. /13guitarman

/13guitarman Member

Very articulate, perfect intonation, nice bite. I wouldn't use it for alternative music.

8. Dashface

Dashface Member

I've had an '89 Clapton for seventeen years now... Definitely love it. If the Custom Shop version is better I can't even imagine how good it must be.

9. RJLII

RJLII Member

10. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

They have had one for sale at the Sam Ash in Atlanta for like 3 years, in antiqua. I bet you could make a good deal...