• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Anyone own a Red Witch Phaser?

sjt0701

This thing sounds amazing but seems really loud when I'm not playing, even when switched off. Anyone else notice this? Maybe a bad unit? I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

alanwf

Mine is pretty quiet. There is a dip switch on the inside (if I remember this correctly) that can be used to keep it from overloading with active pickups or behind boosts. You may want to experiment with that. I know that my one email for tech support got me a very quick reply. I have the original chrome one.

Lovely sounding phaser. I end up using it a lot more than I thought I would. I hope you get the noise sorted out. If you do write in about it, I'd recommend trying all of the positions on the right knob, and moving the others around—does the overall noise change much with various settings? That might help diagnose the problem.

Alan

sjt0701

yeah it happens in all of the positions, the weird thing is it is off and on. it will be really quiet then ill hear a real subtle pop and the "swooshing" will start. sometimes it works fine and other times i cant get it to go away. im going to try the dip switch, and i did email red witch and theyve been really fast to respond in the past so well see. thanks for the advice.

Steve L

Silver Supporting Member
Mine is quiet, too.
I do recall adjusting the internal dip switch once....I think to compensate for humbuckers.
Works well....very versatile. Great tone.

fugot

'whooshing' sounds make me think you have a bad (perhaps going intermittently) part inside...

mine was quiet

Ben C.

When I had powered via a daisy chain type power supply, I did experience some of that 'clock noise' whether or not the pedal was engaged (like you); but even then it was pretty quiet (yet certainly noticeable). When I switched to an isolated power supply (PP2+) that noise went away.

-Ben

pistolsteve

Thread hijack: I've heard it said that the Moon Phaser can come close to sounding like a Vibe pedal. How much truth is there to that statement?

I have neither a phaser pedal nor a vibe pedal. If the Moon Phaser can do both reasonably well, it would seem to be a good investment for me.

try to power it with a battery or a filtered supply like the pp+ it may fix the problem

gearitis

Platinum Supporting Member
This thing sounds amazing but seems really loud when I'm not playing, even when switched off. Anyone else notice this? Maybe a bad unit? I appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Mine is nice and quiet.

Thread hijack: I've heard it said that the Moon Phaser can come close to sounding like a Vibe pedal. How much truth is there to that statement?

I have neither a phaser pedal nor a vibe pedal. If the Moon Phaser can do both reasonably well, it would seem to be a good investment for me.
I love my Moon Phaser. For me, the tremophase mode is close enough if I only need a "vibe type" effect for one song or two, but for a night full of major vibe fun I make sure to have my KR or a Mojo Vibe on my board.

Moon Phaser "vibe" at 4:02
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31ex09CDDzI

Here's a Deja Vibe/Moon Phaser comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uekZL52zNmc

FAC

It's a great phaser, so it depends how picky you are about vibe. "Cosmology" switch on position 1 (all the way left), tune the "Trajectory" knob to maximize throb (on mine, this would be ~1 o'clock on the dial-just a bit off and it won't really do the throb, so you need to find that sweet spot). This gives a nice Pink Floyd's "Breath" vibe-like tone, but it is not a true vibe. I actually prefer it to classic vibe:hide

Ben C.

I find it to be very true. A link in my sig has a shot of my board - the settings on the Moon Phase (lower right) are my 'vibe' sound. Sounds like early Rush, and cops that Gilmour 'Breathe' thing damn well.

All I can do is brag about my Red Witch Pentavocal Tremolo.
I also love that pedal! Great, versatile trem. Fantastic quality to the sound.

-Ben

Trending Topics