Anyone own a Traynor YCS 50?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tbunker, Dec 15, 2008.

1. tbunker

tbunker Member

Hey, I've been looking at a Traynor YCS 50 amp the last month or so and was wondering what has been the experience of owners? I have played it quite a bit at my local music store with the guitar that I want to buy with it but I want to know what has been the actual owning experience of people.

2. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

I have one. Great amp. Very versatile and one of the best bang-for-the-buck amps out there IMO.

What exactly are you looking for in terms of 'owning experience'? I mean, it sounds good and hasn't broken. But since you've played on in the store several times and like it enough to want to buy it, what's holding you back? :huh

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Member

I have the head and the combo. They're the best sounding and most versatile amps I've ever owned. For reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with the amp, I'm selling the head. Send a PM if you're interested.

4. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

How would you compare the YCS50 & YCS90 to a Bogner Shiva?

Im on the fence right now & trying to figure out which way I am going to go..

Im wanting a Brad Paisley/Brent Mason type clean channel... then overdrive that is somewhere between Skynyrd & the 1st Guns & roses album

5. lttoler

lttoler Senior Member

Does anyone else have experience with this amp?

6. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I used to own the YCS50. I foolishly sold it.
    I liked the gain channel better than the clean channel. The gain was like a Marshall Plexi type grind. very thick and articluate. The cleans were a bit non-descript to me. Nothing like my Bassman which has awesome cleans. Still for $700 brand new you can't do any better IMO.

7. salvatruco

salvatruco Member

I have the YCS50 Head, great amp!!! ... you have to give it some time to get familiar with it. also i replaced all the power and preamp tubes and to my ears the sound is smoother than the stock tubes ( nothing wrong with the stock tubes. just a preference in tone):YinYang

I do not know how the combo sounds, but over all it is a excellent amp for the price you pay!!!!!

good luck:AOK

8. TubezAmpz

TubezAmpz Member

in a house where I can actually turn my amp up a l
    Yup, I've had the 50 watt combo for a year now and am very happy with it. I've toyed with the idea of trading for a Bassman amp but I believe in the end that I would miss the YCS50 so I am keeping it. The only thing I might consider trading it for now would be a Peters Dual Channel but the price of those is about $2400 American ($3190) Canadian.

To the guy wanting skynard tones, if you use the clean channel's brit setting and the right EQing it gets very close. Like someone else said it takes some time to learn to dial this amp in but it you can find just about every tone you can think of right up until mid 90s metal.

9. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

I think your math is a bit off. :)

10. TubezAmpz

TubezAmpz Member

in a house where I can actually turn my amp up a l
    Could be... what's the exchange rate anyway?