Anyone own an Epiphone Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jimmyohio75, Feb 25, 2009.

1. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

How's the quality? The pickups? Stay in tune?
    Would I be wise to save longer and get the genuine article (Gibson)?

2. WAH-WAH MCFUZZ

WAH-WAH MCFUZZ Member

I have one. I have gigged with it. The only problem I've ever had with it is the toggle switch cutting out. Sounds great. looks good (this pic does it no justice). I've never been dissapointed in an epiphone product. I own three now.
    [​IMG]

3. WAH-WAH MCFUZZ

WAH-WAH MCFUZZ Member

Ewww!! Just realized I took that pic when I was trying out DR strings. Please excuse the aweful red strings. ;)

4. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

If you can pick a good guitar you should be able to find a good Epi LP.
    If you want an LP (and there is more than one type) the Epi gets you close, easily.
    Don't change anything until you have properly checked out your unit....the guitar, that is:jo

5. Birddog

Birddog Member

I started on an Epi LP about 30 years ago. My FIRST jump into Gibsons was an LP Studio which -- oddly -- the only thing it had going against it was the selector switch periodically cutting out.

I'd say save a few more bucks, and go for an LP Classic (Gibson). Right now, those and Faded models are the best bang for your buck. And, though you might hear differently, there definitely are some differences between the Epi's and the Gibsons. (And I like both). Gibsons (other than the Studios) are a cut above in quality.

6. PA Woody

PA Woody Member

I have an 06 Chinese made Epi LP Plaintop in Honeyburst. Purchased from Sweetwater a couple years ago. I haven't needed to do anything to it other than change strings. It came from the Deawon Plant. Fit and finish are fine. Plays great. No problems so far.
    MF has Gibson LP Studio Fadeds (Heritage cherry sunburst only)on sale for 849.99 until the end of February(Saturday). It's a catalog price that doesn't show on the website. Those have the maple cap. That's not too much more than the Epi LPs are going for right now. I haven't played one so I don't know how they play. But it's a Gibson.

Edit: It even comes with a Gibson hardshell case. The Epi Standards are 649.00 without a case. Add the Epi case for 79.00 and you're only 121.99 lower than a Gibby

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  7. twostring

twostring Member

I've got an Epi standard, and aside from putting lock washers on the pots and switch and replacing the small top-hat knobs with larger speed knobs, it's stock. I just used it in the studio on a friend's job and it fit right in. It's a bit brighter than a Gibson, but it has it's place. I went through 7 "identical" guitars to find this one, which was light weight, acoustically loud and had the least cosmetic issues. I'd call it a good buy.

8. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

*edit* for the following thread - when I refer to epiphone les pauls im referring to the nice ones - the classics/customs/standards etc. not the LP100 or the LP Special model. Obvious to you and me yes.. just thought I would be clear.

Here is a pic of mine. Its a LP Classic - quilt top (no longer sold)

I had always been skeptical of an epi les paul but then a friend of mine got a nice Custom sunburst and after playing his I was impressed. When I saw this one I jumped at it as red is my favorite color. My impressions were as follows:
    - The quality is fantastic. The top looks great - its real. Sure, its probably a veneer and fairly thin, but its not photo - there is alot of good 3-d depth in the wood.
    - I have not regretted buying it for a second. It feels like a quality instrument when you hold it. The craftmanship is very nice.
    - The stock bridge pup is great. neck a little muddy. But people complain about the stock pickups on just about EVERY guitar...
    - The electronics will be gutted and rewired - but I do that on every guitar I consider a keeper. I have a set of SD Alnico II Pros waiting to go in this one. Heck - alot of folks gut and rewire real gibsons, so again, hard to knock the epiphones there.

That being said - I bought it used for $385 and I paid a bit of a premium for the looks. Most used Epis are going to go for $275 - $350 and they are fantastic values at that price. Would I pay 600 or 700 for one brand new? heck no - id save another 200 and get a gibby vintage mahogany or something. But I don't buy new anything. I buy all my equipment used.

So in conclusion - for ME a value seeking used equipment buyer who changes the electronics and pickups on just about every guitar he buys - I am perfectly happy with the epi and I sing their praises whenever I think I can do so without being flamed.

[​IMG]

9. rockbutt

rockbutt Member

I bought my son an Epi Les Paul about a year ago. Beatiful flame top veneer, well put together, nice neck and no problems with the frets, and it stays in tune. Very good built quality. However, the pickups are a bit dull sounding in comparison with burstbuckers and 57 classics.

10. Think Floyd

Think Floyd Member

Being a long time Strat player, the most comfortable Epi I've tried was the LP-100 with its thinner body and nice-feeling neck. But, I'm afraid to buy one because of the low quality.

11. Think Floyd

Think Floyd Member

I wish Epi had lower-priced versions of the Gibson LP Doublecut or the 339.

12. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

Yea, a DC LP would be nice, as would a LP JR.

I realize they have the "special" model junior fro like 129 - but I mean something a little nicer - on par with their other top of the line copies.

13. hot lava mike

hot lava mike Member

My first electric was an Epi Les Paul- not bad for the money. The jack plate and pick up switch were flimsy and eventually replaced b/c they kept breaking. The pickups were terrible and I eventually replaced those as well. Stays in tune fine...generally, but I can't get the intonation quite right on the g-string. All in all, even with the upgrades I put into it, it's still much cheaper than buying a real Les Paul. Also, the headstock doesn't have as much of an angle as a regular Les Paul does. I can't play the solo to Heartbreaker on it correctly.
    I've had it for 17 yrs and it still plays fine. Great guitar for a beginner, or someone like me who doesn't want to haul around a really nice guitar to not so great gigs.

14. Babaji

Babaji Member

...I would have never believed that I would like anything about them...until last week. I found a worn, candy apple red, Limited Edition, 1999 Korean made, LP Deluxe, with mini humbuckers. Other than the dings, it was well made, and had a nice acoustic ring to it. It sounded a little muffled in the pawn shop and needed some repairs to the pots and input jack. Picked it up for $80. I replaced the pots with CTS ones and changed the skimpy wire to the traditional Gibson braided. This brought it to life. The pickups sound like...Mini HB's! Plays like a real lester...it's under 7 lbs...It is a beast!
    Bill

15. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

80 bucks? holy schnikies! nice score. Love to see a picture...

16. Bluesbuff

Bluesbuff Member

MY only experience with Epi LPs is the 56 gold top. Its well built and the P90s are decent quality. The pots/switch/jack could probably be upgraded but otherwise it's a good guitar. It doesn't compare however to my Gibson Deluxe LP with Lollar P90s so it doesn't get much playtime anymore. But for 20% of the cost of the Gibson you can't really go wrong. I have an Epi dot that I upgraded the pickups and electronics and it's a great guitar, not quite a 335 but still for 600 including upgrades a good value.

17. mike80

mike80 Member

I have a Limited Edition Epi Lp. I love it. I replaced the bridge pup with a Burstbucker, replaced the tuners with Grovers just for aesthetics, and I love it. I have a problem with the toggle switch every now and then, but I have a replacement ready to go in it. It plays just as good as 90% of the Gibson LPs I've tried.

[​IMG]

18. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

I have a 56 Goldtop model, and I gutted the guitar of all the cheapo electronics, and put in high quality stuff. I used Fralin P90's, CTS pots, switchcraft jack and switch and all vintage cloth wire, and oil in foil caps.

It now sounds really good for trashy, Chess era blues tones.