Anyone own an SG Classic? (P-90s instead of Humbuckers)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rkymtnhi, Feb 13, 2008.

1. rkymtnhi

rkymtnhi Member

Do any of you own the SG Classic? I'd like to hear your experiences with this guitar--any strong pros/cons I need to be aware of before buying one of these used?

2. jgyn

jgyn Member

I like mine.
    I'm still more used to the feel of Les Pauls, though.

3. mainsale

mainsale Member

I've owned two of them but moved on to the Pete Townsend Signature because I wanted the wrap-around bridge. I think the Classic is a great guitar, especially for the money. Here's one of my Classics....

[​IMG]

4. justonwo

justonwo Supporting Member

Lots of people have them. I think you will find very FEW complaints. Great, great guitars.

5. fixed

fixed Member

I have one, not my "number one" but definitely a keeper. Speaking of, could anyone maybe recommend some better P90s to put in it?

6. rkymtnhi

rkymtnhi Member

I always hear Lollars mentioned in P-90 discussions. i like the Duncan Antiquity that I've got in my Tele--very dark and moody....

7. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i've got an SG classic that i've had for years. i switched out the stock plastic tuners from some Grovers and installed a bone nut and it sounds excellent. i've been contemplating switching out the stock pickups for some fralins and lollars though...

8. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Straight out of the box, the setup on my SG Classic was perfect! Looks great, everything works (I've played brand new Gibsons where that wasn't the case...) and feels fantastic.

I also play a Strat w/Texas Specials and a Les Paul Standard, so the SG Classic is a nice addition.

You can get some good clean tones, either jazzy or a bit chimey depending on which pickup you use and how you have the tone controls set. The cleans don't have quite the sparkle of a Strat, but they're real nice. I like the sound of the Classic straight into just about any amp with no pedals.

The crunchy and higher gain stuff is also fabulous. To my ear, the P90s get really close the the grind of humbuckers, with a bit more clarity and good volume knob manipulation potential.

I play through a Blues Junior and a Champ 600 RI. The clean sounds are excellent with both amps. The coolest thing I've discovered is running the SG Classic into the Champ, but using the Blues Jr.'s speaker. Played clean, crunchy, with a fuzz box (Fuzz Factory, Fulltone 69), overdriven and distorted (OCD, Direct Drive, LTD...), it all sounds good.

The Classic also feels great, is super lightweight, easy to reach the higher frets, inspires me to play more, and oh yeah, they're pretty cheap too. I bought mine new, but used they're a really great value.

The only (very minor) complaints I have is that the P90s are a little hard to get dialed in, pickup height wise. Also, the guitar is just slightly neck heavy, but I think a leather or suede strap would take care of that (currently using a nylon strap). Oh, and occasionally the P90s can sound a little dull and boxy, mostly at really low bedroom volumes, though.

Have fun,

- jeff -