anyone own or ever played threw a Germino?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by regotheamigo, Jul 25, 2005.

1. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I talked with him on the phone today and he was a really cool guy, and totally went out of his way to answer any questions that I had. I am thinking about getting one of his amps like the Headroom 100 Bass version, or the Filmore Head. They sound huge on his site, and a couple of other sites I have been too. If you have one could you give me your honest opinion of it. I know he has other designs as well like the Club 40 Lead 55, and they all sound like they are worth getting. :)

2. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    i got an earful of a Classic 45 recently (TGP member feedback's) - with different types of guitars, starting w/his LP and including my Chapin Hawk w/HD P90s. definitely worth it sound-wise. i was not alone in this estimation :D

:cool:

3. aeolian

aeolian Member

After hearing that 45, I can't fathom what a 100W would sound like. Do you have a stadium around to practice in? :)

That amp brought back memories of the greatest classic rock parts I grew up with.

4. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

"After hearing that 45, I can't fathom what a 100W would sound like. Do you have a stadium around to practice in?"

LOL Yeah I am wondering myself if I need the 100 watt. The way I look at it is this. I have a rehearsal space in hollywood were I can crank my amps to 10 all day if I want too. I can also take out 2 of the tubes on the Germino as well and turn it into a 50 watt for club shows, or I could get a THD Hotplate as well. Most importantly I want an amp that I can have for the rest of my life that will have the power IF NEEDED for me to play anywere I want. Including Stadiums. A guy can dream can't he:dude

5. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

Another Classic 45 happy owner here. Germino amps sound incredible...amazing...so glad I bought it!
    :dude

6. 8lbs8k

8lbs8k Member

Hey there. New to the gear page.

I love Germino stuff. I have a Classic 45 and a Rock Grinder. I love them both. Greg doesn't make the Rock Grinder any more, which is too bad because it's totally amazing. It's a KT66 amp like the Classic 45, but it's 50 watts, with slightly more gain and bigger low end. I love the 45's volume though for sure. Something like 30-35 watts. Just low enough that I can hear myself sing through the PA. It really barks!! The Rock Grinder is my favorite amp ever. I really think it's the best. Awesome mids, big engulfing lows, enough highs to make strat texture really come out and les paul double-tones talk. Love it. Compared to my "real" Super Bass, the Germino is quieter, but single-note stuff is more substantial, more physical. It still has that liquid marshall thing, but it's more like a voice and less like the grand canyon.

You can't go wrong with a Germino. All of them are loud enough to get you in trouble with the sound guy, but what isn't?

Oh yeah and check this out: since I put in some NOS KT66's, I've put about 700 hours of playing on the amp with both volumes dimed and they show no sign of wearing out!!! Try that with a vintage amp!

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Happy Classic 45 2x12 combo owner here. Just did some recordings with it. Gig this weekend coming up. Great amp.......I'm luvin' it!!!

8. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

Another happy Classic 45 owner here, classic Tone Nirvana for me

:cool:

9. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Must join in on the Classic 45 love-fest. I have the head and a 2x12 Germino cab with RI Greenbacks and it's GREAT. Whilst I'm spending a lot of time getting to know my new amp (Komet 60) I don't see the C45 going anywhere!

Can't wait for my 2 Scumbag G12H 75Hz clones to arrive for that cab... also a 4x12 slant Germino cab that will get Heritage Greenbacks. Should be some awesome tone!

Chris

10. HHB

HHB Member

myself and others were blown away by the Germinos we tried at the recent triangle tonefest, and Greg is an uber cool dude as well as a smoking guitarist

11. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

I own a Classic 45. It's fantastic, it just ooozes tone all over the room. I would like to get a Club 40 or a Lead 55 one day.

I can't imagine owning the headroom amp either. You better think about that one before you order. One of the best things you can do is really crank up these Germino amps, that's when the magic happens. I play my Classic 45 up around 8'ish, depending how hard my drummer is hitting the skins that day. But you should make sure you and everyone else around you can handle the volume you are thinking about getting into. It will be very LOUD!

But either way, go with a Germino, just go with the right model that will fit your bill the best. :dude

Mike

12. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I've got a LoVo Lead 55 and it has the tone of my dreams, amazing funk cleans, great inbetween blues tones and the best distortion in the world for the post-punk stuff I'm into, GREAT AMP. And it isn't THAT loud... its loud, but with a hotplate, its perfect.

-TJK

13. vanborgen

vanborgen Member

Hey TaronKeim,

How do you like the Legendary Tones TMB with the Germino? I've got a Lead 55, which I absolutely love, and have been thinking about getting a clean boost to replace my Fulltone Fulldrive 2, and have been considering the TMB....would you recommend it?

14. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

DEFINATELY!!! I love the Time Machine Boost with my Germino, its my overdrive of choice for it actually, I use lots of fuzz pedals for different textures, but when I just want drive, I use the TMB and it works like a charm, the Modern side with the Warp switch on adds so much harmonic content to the amp you wouldn't believe it, pinch harmonics just SQUEAL and sustain forever, and I use the Vintage side for everything from a fuzzy-overdriven rhythm tone to a nice cutting lead tone, very versitile pedal, and VERY quiet for the ammount of gain it helps add. Definately has my recommendation with the Lead 55... also, I noticed Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables changed the bass response in that amp more than ANY other amp I've tried them with so far, made it more punchy and more clear... it was a very noticable and welcome change and with the TMB I can do an ENTIRE gig with just it my amp and those cables... well and my guitar too.

Hope that helps.

-TJK

15. will132

will132 Member

The TIM pedal really made my Lead 55 shine. Opened it up and gave it more clarity. I've heard good things about the Klon pedal with it as well, but never had the chance to try one.

Jim

16. vanborgen

vanborgen Member

Thanks TaronKeim,

I'll have to try one out. The idea of having a clean boost and a treble boost in one pedal seems to make the TMB a great value, too. Do you, or anyone else for that matter, know if the vintage side uses the same Germanium transistor as the Keeley Java Boost? Perhaps I should be asking this on the effects forum.....anyway, if anyone knows....

17. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

Thanks all you Germino guys out there. Yeah I am kind of up in the air with getting the Headroom 100? The thing is, I would hate to get a Classic 45, or a Club 40 and not have it be loud enough. Can't I also just take 2 of the tubes out of the Headroom and make it a 50 watter? I also want the Bass Version of the Headroom, and according to Greg its not as loud as the Lead head. Anyway. Let me ask you guys this important question. There are a butt load of Plexi Clones out there on the market today, and as much as I would like to try them all I won't be able too. What is it about the Germino's that make them stand out above the rest of the competion? These are things that I look for when buying new amps, and hopefully the Germios have them.

3D Type of sound
    Nice bottom End
    Musical sounding, even at cranked levels
    Clear, smooth, and round sounds
    Most importantly, makes you want to play all day long. :dude

18. riffmeister

I'm using a TIM with my C45. It sounds awesome!!

19. riffmeister

Yes, you can take out two tubes from the 100 watters, but you are still left with those HUGE transformers, so the amp will still be Very Loud. The transformewrs in the C40 and C45 are smaller, which contributes to their lower overall volume at least as much as the fact that they are running two power tubes fewer than the Big Boys. My C45 is plenty loud to keep up with a moderately hard hitting drummer, bass player with 450 watt amp, and 2nd guitar player with 50 watt amp. In fact, most of the time I'm using a very moderate amount of attenuation (Dr. Z Airbrake) to bring it down to the proper volume level. Remember, the are Non-Master-Volume amps.......they need to be turned up to High Volume Levels to get the mojo happening!!

There are many plexi clones and plexi-style amps out there. Is Germino king of this hill? I dunno......I've only owned two or three others. But I can tell you that the Germino really delivers the Classic Rock Tones of yesteryear in a very convincing way!! All this in an extremely well-built, reasonably-priced package from a down-to-earth guy that you can talk to on the phone.......makes me very happy with my decision.

20. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

What none of you sonsofbeotches invited me to the Germino lovefest!!

I am a very happy Masonette owner, the amp is just amazing.

Greg is without question one of the nicest guys you will find in the industry. He always answers my stopid questions in gross detail and is just a nice knowledgable guy to talk to.

Great amps!!

I own a 73 100W Marshall and I would use a lot of caution before buying an amp that loud. There is NOTHING like it on the planet but owning it is like owning a rail dragster.
    Not the best grocery getter, but point it in a straight line and open it up and WEEEE HAWWWW, look out.

There is nothing like the feel and dynamics of a 100W amp, not to mention the command it has. It just demands your attention and will not be ignored, reminds me of the T-Rex in Jurrasic Park.
    As my singer put it "just keep that thing in a dark corner and feed it a lot of raw meat"