• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Anyone own (or try) a Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster?

exodus

Curious about the Troy Van Leeuwen signature Jazzmaster. Most interested in how the neck feels (the profile). Can anyone give their thoughts? Thanks.

bubbaheat

I have one and love it. I'd say it tends on the slim side. I don't like chunky necks and it suits me fine.

I'd never seen one up until about a month ago and now I've seen three in the used sections of local GCs within the past month. I prefer a 50's Gibson or PRS wide fat necks- the TVL neck is definitely thinner, but I still found it comfortable.

Things that I did not like about the guitar that you should check out and see if you're OK with:

* The back of the neck was finished with a very thick coat of poly. I didn't like the feel of it as I played.
* The fretboard was the very dry and very light "grey and ashy" colored rosewood (Granadillo?) similar to what Gibson used on their bottom of the line LPM/LPJ Les Pauls a few years ago. Functionally it's fine, but aesthetically it looks cheap and awful.
* The high e string was much closer to the edge of the fretboard than I'm used to. I think this is a common issue with Jazzmasters. I didn't slip off the fretboard, but the potential to do so sure seemed to be there.

Staticbuster

I played one a few months back and loved it. Everything about it was well done and it played very well. I'd like to get one someday. The neck is usual Fender C-shaped, and didn't feel small to me, and I prefer Gibson necks also.

Ultra GP

I've had one for a while. C shape neck profile (as mentioned above) but maybe a little thicker than a strat for example. Can't really say anything bad about the guitar overall - I like it more than the AVRI I used to have.

mikelo

I also have one and use it a lot. The rhythm circuit is actually usable so you have a solid 6 pickup configurations. Setup and build quality were much better than expected for the price. Solid buy!

Trending Topics