Anyone own or try the DLS RotoSPIN ? (not RotoSim)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nas, Dec 7, 2016.

1. nas

nas Member

Surprisingly little in the way of reviews or demos on this pedal. ( I saw Premier Guitar's John Bollinger do a demo on Youtube) Looks very interesting.

Anyone have or play one of these?

Thanks
    nas

2. mr zurkon

mr zurkon Member

I own one. I'm far from a rotary cab/effect expert, but the 2 best demo videos on YouTube show off the pedal well, meaning any changes (besides the ramp speed) is fairly subtle. So if you like the general sound in those videos, it's what you're getting. I will say the part near the end of the Premier Guitar video, when he switches to mono and dirty, sounds bad because his dirty sound is bad.

3. FuzzyAce

FuzzyAce Member

Oz Noy uses one.

edit: lol, my mind was stuck on rotoSim even though you said not the rotoSim

4. nas

nas Member

Thanks for the videos... yes I actually saw those. Surprising how there's not too much out there on this pedal.

5. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

I've had one for a year or so. I like it a lot. In addition to the Suhr Jack Rabbit, it's the only mod pedal on my main board.

Back in the 70s, I had the opportunity to use a Leslie 925. It's 40+ years later, but I think the RotoSpin does a great job of reproducing that sound, as I recall it. It doesn't try to make your guitar sound like a keyboard, but retains the sound of your guitar thru rotating speakers.

Lots of rotary pedals to choose from. I have not used the Vent or Lex. I have used the Ventura Vibe, RotoChoir, Line 6, Lester G, and several multi-effect pedals. The RotoSpin is by far my favorite. The Ventura has a nice vibe and sounds great, too, but requires you to keep your foot on the switch when enabling the fast speed. Not ideal if you're doing most of the song with a fast setting. The RotoChoir also sounds very good, but still changes the tone of the guitar. The Lester has a mid hump that I could never dial out.

A mix knob on some other pedals helps blend the guitar tone with the pedal tone. Since the RotoSpin retains the guitar tone so well, a mix knob is not needed, IMHO. The ramp sounds great and speed is adjustable, as are the fast and slow speeds. I usually turn the drive off, using my dirt pedals instead. The drive is nice, but subtle, as it should be.

The RotoSpin gives me my guitar tones and best replicates the sound of a spinning speaker. Some say it's more of a vibratone sound than a Leslie. I never played thru a vibratone, but I did use the Leslie. The RotoSpin does a really nice job of that sound.

rePlay and nas like this.
  6. nas

nas Member

Thanks for the feedback CEFlint, very much the kind of info I'm looking for. I've been doing quite a bit of research on rotary sim pedals and so far the ones that I really like are the RotoSpin and the Neo mini Vent 2... that unit sounds incredible from the clips and demos I've heard. I also liked the Ventura as well but I do wish the footswitch for the speed latched, so as it is now that puts it out of the running.

The only thing I don't really care for in the mini Vent 2 is how to edit the sound, it seems a little longwinded and cumbersome and it's just much easier to reach down and turn a knob if you need to tweak something. I know the Neo Vent 2 (the larger version) has a full complement of knobs for adjustment but at 5 bills it's just a bit too much for a single effect pedal... and the footprint seems a little bulky.

So the Rotospin wins out on a few things (size, editing features, ease of use with a power supply), and from what I've heard, it sounds pretty good. But the mini Vent 2 does have a small footprint as well and sounds exceptional... I think it edges out the RotoSpin in sound quality and realism, but I would actually have to play them both and see what really works for me.

Of all the roto sim pedals on the market today... those are by far the top two contenders.

rePlay likes this.
  7. Hugh DaMann

Hugh DaMann Silver Supporting Member

I had a RotoSpin and really liked it..but it was virtually indistinguishable from how I had my MF Chorus set. That said, I kept it and sold the Moog. I had a little difficulty dilaing in a slow Leslie sound I liked and not have be too overbearing when in fast mode.

I've since given up on the Leslie simulators and now use an Analogman Bi-Chorus. It's not the same, but seems to sit with the sound of the guitar better than the simulators I've used. I almost did buy a Mini Vent, though. I saw Warren Hayne's earlier this year and it sounded really good. However, I saw Doyle Bramhall II last week and he was using a Hammond Leslie G pedal and it sounded amazing!

8. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

The mini Vent does sound very nice in the demos. My biggest issues with it were editing and that it requires 12v instead of 9v.

9. nas

nas Member

The Analog man sounds sweet. What I like about the speaker sims is how you can ramp the speed within a song or a musical phrase to add expressiveness and dynamics. It's a very effective way to build intensity. Check out this demo by Gundy Keller, It's some of the most skillful and tasteful use of a Roto sim pedal i've heard. Really nice work:

10. rufedges

rufedges Member

I just pulled the trigger on the Roto-Spin, it is staying on my board. Sounds full and lush, great price, True Bypass when not engaged, and didn't break the back; I can't wait to try it in a split amp/cab configuration (one w/ effect, one without).

With any kind of pedal trying to emulate a Univibe/Vibratone where the original sound comes from a separate cabinet with a rotating speaker/horn, there have to be some compromises, that is just the plain reality. This little baby is legit, very organic sounding.

rePlay likes this.