• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Anyone own/play a Yamaha RGX A2?

tedm

These are lightweight resonant solid bodies, have fairly flat radius fretboards (13.xx ") and weigh < 6 lbs.

Since the latest versions have a USB port, the older ones are being blown out at $269 or so prices.

I've never played one, but the flat neck, and light weight (as light as a PRS SE hollow body?) are intriguing.

But if the quality and fret dress are like the < ~$300 Ibanez guitars I'd want to pass.

Foxtrot

I've only played one AIR, but I've played many other RGXs & countless Yamahas. Yamaha does great fretwork; the only frets on a Yamaha I didn't like so much were the PAC112s, but even they were far from unplayable.

The frets were great on the AIR. IMO, as trite as black guitars are the black version is much classier than the white.

jgyn

I like mine (white, no USB). Soundwise, it's intriguingly neutral- not Fender or Gibson. Used it live many times in high volume situations.

tedm

Got a black one. Great tone, feeds back like a semi-hollow, but controllable, semi-shoddy fret edges, med. output pups, very funky rotary pickup switch, and uses a 9v battery (optional) for lighting up the volume dial with red or blue (neck or bridge) or both colors (middle) position.

Best thing is it's extremely light, about 5 lbs. Plays well, body shape is like an Ibanez S or Schecter C1 type body. Great guitar for the price. Made in Indonesia.

Crikey

Congrats on the axe!

A year or two ago there was a white one on sale locally, and I played it for a few hours. I liked the feel, the light weight, the resonance, and the tone I was getting from the pickups. The quality wasn't perfect, but "good enough", especially for the price.

The only things I didn't like were the rotary pickup selector switch (I don't like them in general, and this one was really hard to operate), and the idea that if I wanted to swap pickups I'd need a router. I guess the real reason I didn't buy it was that I had me a few guitars already. :facepalm

I have always thought it would be cool to have something with, as jgyn put it above, that "neutral, not-Fender, not-Gibson" tone.

Crikey

tedm

I have no idea what they were thinking with the high tension rotary pickup selector. I agree the tones with resonance make it a unique lightweight guitar. 5.5 lbs, and has tone like my old large hollowbody electrics with humbuckers.

Congrats on the axe!

A year or two ago there was a white one on sale locally, and I played it for a few hours. I liked the feel, the light weight, the resonance, and the tone I was getting from the pickups. The quality wasn't perfect, but "good enough", especially for the price.

The only things I didn't like were the rotary pickup selector switch (I don't like them in general, and this one was really hard to operate), and the idea that if I wanted to swap pickups I'd need a router. I guess the real reason I didn't buy it was that I had me a few guitars already. :facepalm

I have always thought it would be cool to have something with, as jgyn put it above, that "neutral, not-Fender, not-Gibson" tone.

Crikey

snarkle

Silver Supporting Member
I've been VERY impressed with the couple I've played, but the lack of a tone control has kept me from buying...I tend to ride the tone control a lot.

But they seemed very resonant guitars, and I liked the pickups...one could call them neutral, I suppose, but I found them quite responsive to finger-style playing.

For under $300, you probably couldn't do much better.

tedm

I always keep my tone control fully cranked, and I can't imagine these pickups on anything but full on. I get a bassy neck only sound that I would EQ a bit if recording, but 90% of my playing will be bridge only which cuts through like most modern electrics.

Ben Furman

Silver Supporting Member
I like mine. (White w/USB.) The fret ends are flawless. Better than many higher-end guitars. I'm not thrilled with the tuners or rotary switch....

-Ben

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
You could certainly have the rotary switch replaced and add a tone control. It's pretty cheap if you can't do it yourself.

tedm

Are the USB ones still made in Indonesia? What does the USB thing do? Do you find it useful?

I like mine. (White w/USB.) The fret ends are flawless. Better than many higher-end guitars. I'm not thrilled with the tuners or rotary switch....

-Ben

Ben Furman

Silver Supporting Member
Honestly, I haven't tried the USB functionality yet. I do own a Mac laptop....

The instrument was made in Indonesia. I think early production models were MIJ, but production quickly moved to Indonesia. My guitar was one of the recent 8th Street Music eBay specials ($270 shipped). I never really cared whether it came with USB or not.

-Ben

chrisjw5

I have one that I paid $250 for with a Fender hardshell case. I bought it for the case but it's a really fun guitar. The P p/u's in it are really open and the light, chambered body gives it a neat, different sound.

A tone control would be nice, but isn't overly necessary. I haven't checked out the USB feature yet.

Maruuk

I fell in love with mine the second I picked it up (at 5.5 lbs). Then it played better than any guitar I have ever played, and I played a lot. Super low action, no buzzing, comfortable frets, great bending, incredible sustain, shallow (flat) radius, and 43mm nut width. Perfect.

While I love the wild look of the alnico soapbar pickups, and their output seems just right for lovely amp breakup at the right settings, their sound is a bit generic and lacking in distinctive character. They sound kind of between P90's and humbuckers. Brighter than the usual humbuckers, richer and smoother than P90's. But they do sound cool, definitely have their own thing going on. Killer harmonics on OD--to die for. They rock hard, yet remain expressive and responsive like a good woman. The neck P/up is great for warm, detailed jazz and whatever clean, articulate passages you want to run em through. The bridge just plain boogies all night long in OD. But chunks clean with a nice sharp metallic clank when you need that funk or country edge to bite for you.

This is one fantastic guitar. Mine was made in Taiwan--the early production run. I have heard they're a lot better than the later and cheaper Indonesian ones. I just know this has pristine fret edges and zero quality problems. It listed for like $900 or something back a few years. GC was selling them street for $499. And I got mine slightly dinged for $325 on a sale day.
Best money I ever spent.

Yeah the switcher is goofy but you get used to it. But why would anybody want to dull their guitar sound with a passive tone killer like a tone knob? All smart guitarists just wire their pups past those tone-suckers. Yamaha wisely eliminates them.

You get 3 very nicely defined and useful tones from each of the 3 pup positions. I use each a lot in recording and live. I give this guitar the highest compliment: it makes any amp sound great! And the neck makes any player instantly better. I play way better on this than my other guitars. It's like driving Ferrari compared to driving '74 Dodge. A fine note driving machine.

Good playing demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF8jw3_CyYQ&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.guitar123.co.uk%2Fguitars%2Felectric%2Fyamaha%2Frgx_guitars%2F&feature=player_embedded

Too bad he doesn't demo the cleans and slight breakup. It's a highly versatile ax.

Last edited:

Maruuk

Relatively thin (not deep), comfortable wide (43mm nut) "C" shape. I have big hands and it feels great. One caveat may be that the Indonesian models are different to some extent than the Taiwan models. Never played the Indies so hard to say.

Trending Topics