Anyone own the FMR Really nice Compressor?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by regotheamigo, Jun 21, 2006.

1. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I picked one up today at Sam Ash to go with my FMR RNP and wanted your take on it. I will be using it on electric guitar stuff about 95% of the time, and vocals as well. How does it sound on distored guitar cabs? Thanks for your input.

2. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I think the RNC is a better compressor than the RNP is a pre-amp. F.W.I.W., I use a RNC with a Great River Micpre and Neumann mic. I think it works pretty good. . .

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

There's not really any need to compress electric guitar, if it's distorted. Maybe a bit if it's clean... but I'd wait until mix time for that.

RNC is just what the name says. Not colored, does its' job and gets out of the way. I've used it to take the edge off of vocals, when tracking.

Really can't be beat for the price, everyone who's intyerested in recording should have one, if only to experiment w/and learn a litle about compression, which is probably the most challenging concept of recording/mixing tools.

Loudboy

4. Orren

Orren Member

I've got two RNCs. I love them. I use them on acoustic guitars, vocals, and as "brickwall limiters" (meaning, only operating on the most extreme signals, and then squashing them to avoid overs) on electric guitars. I think they are very good. Clean compression with no real "flavor." They compare with any other transparent compressors under about $1500.

No experience using them in tandem with the RNP thought--I use them with API style preamps.

Orren

5. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

Do you think the RNC will sound good on solo guitar stuff with distortion?

6. elambo

elambo Member

You seem to need a lot of reassurance, even AFTER you already bought of these things. No need. It's a great compressor, but you won't need it much for overdriven guitars. Acoustic guitars - probably. Vocals - certainly. But anything above mildly distorted guitars won't need much help from your RNC. Clean elec gtr - sure! It will make them pop through a mix nicely. BUT BE CAREFUL! The easiest way to kill the sound of your mix is to use compression poorly. Err on the conservative side to begin with until you learn how to use the RNP to it's potential.

What are you gonna do about a mic now?

7. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

i find the really nice mode to be excellent on vocals and acoustic guitars when you want subtle compression... very transparent. larry crane (tapeop, jackpot studios) has 4 of them in his studio (and uses them), and he's got super high end stuff as well. that says something. super duper bang for the buck item.
    peace - jv

8. covert

covert Member

I have two and really like them on various things. I spent an afternoon watching Fletcher and another good engineer AB them against an LA3, and a purple M77. Very close, in the right hands.

9. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    Have owned one for 2 years. Only need it on clean electric and acoustic guitars. Don't record vocals, so no need there for me. On clean guitars, I use it as a limiter to avoid clipping the inputs of my recorder. Be very careful setting the "attack" parameter. This unit has a fast attack, and if you set it faster than 20ms or so you can kill the track and its dynamics. I generally set the attack at 50ms or so to allow for greater dynamics. The makeup gain parameter works well as a boost when the signal needs a little goosing before hitting the hard disc. It's a quality unit, for sure. Now you need to avoid overusing it and learn how to use compression. You need to understand what each parameter does (threshold, attack, ratio, release, makeup gain), gotta do your homework.

10. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I agree with Orren and others. You won't need compression for e. guitars. Use it as a limiter to avoid clipping the converters if you really need to use it. At close proximity to a moderately loud amp, the sm57 with give you all the 'compression' you need. That's why I like them on amps. Not sure what goes on inside the mic, but it sounds like the transformer gets saturated.