Anyone own the Splawn Quickrod?

regotheamigo

I've been seaching around for a nice 2-3 channel amp that can cover clean, rhythem to lead stuff, and think I may of found it in this amp. My only concerns is it can only sound like 80's hair metal, and not to modern. I love that sound, but NOT going for a Dokken, Ratt type guitar tone. If it can pull off old and newer tones than I am on board!!

Erik

I often wonder how these amps get so stereotyped? I have 2 Quickrods and for the life of me, I can't get them to sound like 80's hair metal. :D

The amp is very good with pedals, but can be really picky about speakers. IMHO, it sounds fantastic with Greenbacks, less than optimal with V30's. The amp can go from classic rock to metal, depending on your taste.

Deathmonkey

If modern is your thing, you might prefer the Nitro. Or, if you like the Quickrod but want a little bit more of a modern edge, try the Pro Mod. Personally, I prefer the clarity and authority of KT88s - I have a Competition, a Pro Mod, and a Nitro, tho, and they are all very versatile, especially live, where having the various footswitchable controls are a great idea.

For modern rock, I'd probably steer you towards the Pro Mod. IMHO the KT88s don't add the midrange color the EL34s do, which in turn sounds more "hifi" and modern to me. For a more modern metal sound, I'd definitely suggest the Nitro. Any of em can pull off more vintagey tones, I think, so it's up to you what you need in "modern" tones.

There's a bunch of clips here:

Nitro: http://www.netmusicians.org/?value=Splawn Nitro&section=amp

QR: http://www.netmusicians.org/?value=Splawn Quickrod&section=amp

And one Pro Mod clip, lol: http://www.netmusicians.org/?value=Splawn ProMod&section=amp

Hope this helps show the differences.

regotheamigo

I often wonder how these amps get so stereotyped? I have 2 Quickrods and for the life of me, I can't get them to sound like 80's hair metal. :D

The amp is very good with pedals, but can be really picky about speakers. IMHO, it sounds fantastic with Greenbacks, less than optimal with V30's. The amp can go from classic rock to metal, depending on your taste.
Well every clip I have heard all sound very 80's metalish like George Lynch. Like I said I love that stuff, but it would be nice to be able to have a old school sound plus some newer stuff. The Nitro sounds cool too, but thought that it was more for VERY heavy metal stuff like Bullet for My Valentine, and Slipknot. I want something that can cover anything from Sabbath to Foo Fighters, Soundgarden type tones. Thanks

Melodyman

Because when Splawn was starting out alot of early users were using them for 80's hair tributes and/or cover bands.

regotheamigo

Thanks! Really appreciate the heads up! :)

If modern is your thing, you might prefer the Nitro. Or, if you like the Quickrod but want a little bit more of a modern edge, try the Pro Mod. Personally, I prefer the clarity and authority of KT88s - I have a Competition, a Pro Mod, and a Nitro, tho, and they are all very versatile, especially live, where having the various footswitchable controls are a great idea.

For modern rock, I'd probably steer you towards the Pro Mod. IMHO the KT88s don't add the midrange color the EL34s do, which in turn sounds more "hifi" and modern to me. For a more modern metal sound, I'd definitely suggest the Nitro. Any of em can pull off more vintagey tones, I think, so it's up to you what you need in "modern" tones.

There's a bunch of clips here:

Nitro: http://www.netmusicians.org/?value=Splawn Nitro&section=amp

QR: http://www.netmusicians.org/?value=Splawn Quickrod&section=amp

And one Pro Mod clip, lol: http://www.netmusicians.org/?value=Splawn ProMod&section=amp

Hope this helps show the differences.

Phil M

Shapeshifting Member
Silver Supporting Member
I had one for over 2 years, doing mostly modern rock. As long as you're not expecting it to sound like a Dual Rec and want more of a Marshall type sound, you'll be fine. It's tight, chunky and mean sounding if you want it to be. Can do good classic rock tones as well.

Basically, if you don't play Dokken, the amp isn't going to make you sound like George Lynch anyway.

regotheamigo

Thanks Phil! That's exactly what I wanted to hear :) I'm sold!!!

I had one for over 2 years, doing mostly modern rock. As long as you're not expecting it to sound like a Dual Rec and want more of a Marshall type sound, you'll be fine. It's tight, chunky and mean sounding if you want it to be. Can do good classic rock tones as well.

Basically, if you don't play Dokken, the amp isn't going to make you sound like George Lynch anyway.

Khoi

you be the judge, does this sound modern enough for you? :D

I have a Quickrod coming, I had a Nitro before, but wasn't into the big low mid thing. I like the high mid Marshall flavor

Phil M

Shapeshifting Member
Silver Supporting Member
I think from listening to that some people might feel the Nitro sounds bigger and beefier but I feel the Quickrod would sit better in a mix with bass and drums. After owning one, I can tell you that it is also capable of completely dominating the mix if that's your thing! Really good if you're the only guitarist in your band.

The Nitro is KT-88s, right? That tone actually sort of reminds me of my VHT Ultralead (also KT-88s).

Melodyman

The QR's mids were almost too much for me, it sounded nothing like the upper mid range of my Marshalls, more like a mid midrange if that makes any sense. :)

Phil M

Shapeshifting Member
Silver Supporting Member
I have played Marshalls and other EL34 based amps for a long time and generally crank the mid knob--not on the QR though! You know what they say about tweaking an amp's sound with your ears not your eyes. I had to dial it in where it looked wrong--like it should've been a scooped sound. That amp definitely had tons of inherent midrange and could get out of control if you weren't careful.

orangekick

Supporting Member
I had a Quick Rod and just couldn't jive with the brightness of that amp. I did play an EL34 equipped Nitro recently and I really liked that amp. I'm thinking about picking one up. I really liked the low-mid emphasis of the Nitro.

guitarded_1

Silver Supporting Member
The QR's mids were almost too much for me, it sounded nothing like the upper mid range of my Marshalls, more like a mid midrange if that makes any sense. :)
I didn't feel that way about my QR. I found mine to have a heap of upper midrange "snarl"...too much in fact. I put in some KT77's and that helped. In the end, although I really liked the amp, I just felt that it was a bit too dry and stiff. And the cycle continues...

Phil M

Shapeshifting Member
Silver Supporting Member
... I did play an EL34 equipped Nitro recently and I really liked that amp ...
Interesting. I thought the Nitro and QR were identical other than the power tubes (and presumably the OT that goes with each tube type). I would've thought that a EL34 equipped Nitro would be a Quickrod...

You learn something new every day.

orangekick

Supporting Member
Interesting. I thought the Nitro and QR were identical other than the power tubes (and presumably the OT that goes with each tube type). I would've thought that a EL34 equipped Nitro would be a Quickrod...

You learn something new every day.
The Nitro is supposed to be voiced with more saturation and more emphasis on the lows and low mids. The EL34 equipped Nitro is the only one that I have seen in person. Prior to that, I thought that it only came with KT-88's since that is all that anyone had been talking about over on HC.

I have always preferred dark amps, so the Nitro seemed to be more up my alley. I think that the EL34's are better for me personally because the EL34's do color the midrange a bit more than KT-88's.

Erik

I was playing a JCM800 before picking up my Quickrod. The QR seemed to focus on similar tones, but could get (a lot) more aggressive. I agree with what Phil said, the QR can dominate a mix if you're not careful. The QR is the only amp I've played that could step on another guitarist and your bassist depending on how you dial it in. I had a bassist that would really push his mids, it would drive me crazy. (That wasn't a problem when I played the QR.) That being said, I don't think that is necessarily a good thing, it just is what it is. Again, like Phil said, use your ears to dial this amp in, not your eyes. I'm currently using a Bogner XTC as it is easier to dial in with other guitarists. The Splawn is a sonic bully and I got tired of always dialing back my mids and trying to get the other guy to boost his.

Phil M

Shapeshifting Member
Silver Supporting Member
I was playing a JCM800 before picking up my Quickrod. The QR seemed to focus on similar tones, but could get (a lot) more aggressive. I agree with what Phil said, the QR can dominate a mix if you're not careful. The QR is the only amp I've played that could step on another guitarist and your bassist depending on how you dial it in. I had a bassist that would really push his mids, it would drive me crazy. (That wasn't a problem when I played the QR.) That being said, I don't think that is necessarily a good thing, it just is what it is. Again, like Phil said, use your ears to dial this amp in, not your eyes. I'm currently using a Bogner XTC as it is easier to dial in with other guitarists. The Splawn is a sonic bully and I got tired of always dialing back my mids and trying to get the other guy to boost his.
Erik, I am in love with the XTC ... "Looks like I'm following you again!" (think Kenny Bana from Seinfeld)

Trending Topics