Anyone owned a Lentz AND Grosh S Type?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by bigwebb, Feb 25, 2012.

1. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

Looking for input only from people who have owned both of these and how they feel they compare. I have been mulling over purchasing a new lentz or grosh. From what I've read lentz seems to have more votes as number 1 than any other manufacturer for quality and sound. Thing is, I can't try a lentz ANYWHERE. I drove down to Mass Street music today and played several Grosh's and an LSL. There was one Grosh in particular that really grabbed me. It was a Grosh RC Standard in Mary Kay White, which actually looks almost pink. I honestly don't care though. The guitar felt and sound wonderfull. And it came in at about 60% of the cost of the lentz. So I'm thinking hard about getting it.

So I'd like to get some advice from those of you who have owned both. Should I hold out for a completely customized lentz at almost twice the price? Is there really that much difference?

2. tylerfreak

tylerfreak Member

I have owned both...the Grosh guitars are a little more inconsistent tonally speaking from the guitars I have played, but the "good" ones are some of the best bell-like sounding Strats I have ever played. I think the best sounding RC I played was Ash with a Braz. board. I would recommend trying a RC made of Ash just to see what you think of the tone. Grosh guitars are super comfy too with amazing fretwork in general; they feel vintage-y but not quite as much as Lentz guitars. If you can try a non-RC Grosh made of Mahogany do it...the ones with buckers made of Mahogany are fabulous.

Lentz guitars are all stupid light and his Ash and Alder both sound really really good. Lentz guitars feel like new pre-CBS guitars. FYI all of the Lentz guitars I played had rather girthy necks also...probably at least as big as Dons med-lrg shape or larger.

If you found a good Grosh that speaks to you go for it...I still remember some amazing tones from a few of those that I played but didnt have the scratch at the time to buy...amazing sounding guitars though.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  3. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

Thanks for the input. I REALLY liked it. I'm undecided on the color though. I actually do like it from an aesthetic standpoint but it's kind of feminine. But it felt so good that it just may be to much to pass up.

here is a pic

[​IMG]

4. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

i have owned both and currently own 3 lentz and 0 grosh.

the grosh guitars i owned were great guitars, built very well and sounded great acoustically and amplified but they felt very stiff to me (with 10's) which is weird becuase the scale and make-up of the RC isnt unfamiliar. couldnt ever get the stiffness out of them. don and Co. build a fine instument but we all like different things and i couldnt get them to feel right under my hands.

the first lentz i got was an HSL. i jumped at the chance because the price was right and anything i had ever read about them was nothing short of spectacular. i was curious. when i got it, i was suprised at how light it was, and the natural responsive nature of the guitar was astounding. it made all my other guitars (with the exception of my late 60's 335) sound dull and feel lifeless...so i sold everything else and found two DL90's.

so... no, i down own a lentz S, but ive played 'em...and my guitars share a similar deal. response, resonance, and playability. a signature lentz thing. hard to describe, but very addicting to the point where you might not play your other guitars because they wont have that "thing".

5. tylerfreak

tylerfreak Member

I like it! I think its probably Ash from the mary-kaye finish which I can tell you is a good thing. I bet it sounds fantastic. Go for it.

I love Lentz guitars too, but theres tons of "fans" who will tell you there is no other guitar out there; they are good, very good, but listen to your heart.

I have played Groshs that I prefer to Lentz so they do exist.

6. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

yes it's ash with mary kaye white. My wife says it looks pink. I played 3 other groshes and an LSL saticoy as well and this one just spoke to me.

7. eliot1025

eliot1025 Supporting Member

Yes, it has a subtle pink overtone. Very subtle. I like how it looks! I love pink S guitars. But I wonder if I'd be socially comfortable performing in public with one. I'm happy to see others play them, though. I think they look great. It's sad we struggle with the issue of the femininity of some colors. It's really stupid.

For me, it would come down to two concerns. 1 - How I expect I'm going to feel when playing the guitar alone. 2 - How I expect I'm going to feel when playing the guitar around others. Are you going to be using the guitar mostly at home? In the company of people you trust? In pro studio circumstances? Are you likely to be around d**kheads who'll give you a hard time? Guys (and gals) like that are legion but you may be fortunate not to run in those social groups. If your instincts tell you that you'll be socially uncomfortable using it in most of your circumstances then don't buy it. So, be realistic with yourself. As stupid as these "feminine" concerns are, my experience is that they are very difficult to overcome. Maybe with time you'll grow used to the color. It's a tough call. This guitar speaks to you and that means a lot. If it doesn't work out (socially) you can always sell it.

May we all have such problems.

8. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

I have a few Grosh Retros that are total freaks of nature in terms of playability, tone, and build quality. I will never sell them, and they are worth, to me, much more than I paid for them. I also own a pre-lawsuit Lentz S that is the equal of the Grosh guitars in every respect, except, perhaps, playability. Among all the things to love about these guitars is that, once I set them up (bought all of them used) I have NEVER had to touch the truss rod on any of them. That alone is huge for me. I DID briefly own a new Lentz SSL, but it wasn't close to the pre-lawsuit, so I moved it.

9. suckamc

suckamc Member

My new Lentz strat is as good an instrument as exists. It's a perpetual motion machine and is super light. I've owned pre and post "lawsuit" (there never was such a thing) lentzes. The post ones are at least as good or better. I haven't played Groshes often because I'm not usually a fan of the bigger body rout and the zinc blocks (though maybe he offers a different rout now...I just haven't looked at them in years).

10. SKYHIGH

SKYHIGH Member

Grosh retro classics are still pool route. Their NOS models are individually routed...but the guitar OP posted above is retro classic.

11. Mark Barna

Mark Barna Supporting Member

Don't let color bother you. I was at Wildwood last summer playing Fender Custom Shop strats, one of which was shell pink and looked the coolest. If I were rich I'd have taken it home. Remember, men wear pink collared shirts, too. Only idiots (drunks) might comment, and that would be very rare...and who cares, they're idiots. Stage lights will change color anyway. But if you're not comfortable, think twice. Buyer's remorse sucks.

12. SKYHIGH

SKYHIGH Member

I wear pink collared shirts...but would never wear a pink guitar. Too many nice colors and life is too darn short to be wearing/playing pink guitars. YMMV :)

13. Rkin1

Rkin1 Supporting Member

I've had both a Retro Classic and an SSL. They are both very fine guitars, just different. Both were Alder body, maple/rosewood neck) and purchased used.

My take was the Lentz felt very traditional as in vintage, but with pretty square feeling fret board edges, big neck (.90 or so as I recall) it always felt like I was fighting it. I didn't care for his pickups, too bright and thin for me.

The Grosh had the nicely rounded fret board edges and felt instantly comfortable (it was a size large neck, not the more common med/large) and was very resonant. To me it felt and sounded better.

Both Lentz and Grosh are at the top of the heap when it comes to small builders, IMHO. They both "get it" and really care about the instruments they create. I think Lentz has a bit more of a cult following due to his limited (direct) distribution.

All of the above is of course just my opinion, but I hope it helps.

14. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

I'm leaning heavily towards the grosh at this point because I've played it and it feels great. The color is honestly only a very small factor for me at this point. There were several others with colors that I much preferrred that also sounded and felt great but I kept gravitating back to this one. Decisions decisions.

On a side note, is there usually room to negotiate the price on a new instrument like this?

15. mep

mep Supporting Member

You could always put a tortoise pick guard on the guitar which would take away from the "pink"

16. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

Any photoshop experts care to help me out with this one? :D

17. tele_phil

tele_phil Member

If the guitar hits your g-spot in every way except color I would NOT worry about the pink. Pink is a very manly color in places like Costa Rica. You would be shocked at how many studly looking dudes wear pink shirts, ride pink bikes, and are damn proud of it.

Play the **** out of it. Your sweat will change the color. :)

18. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

doesnt look too pink in the pics...is it more-so in person?

wouldnt bother me if it was a killer...mary kay can have that hue sometimes.

19. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

It does look a little more in person but just barely. it's very subtle and deffinitely not a pink guitar. Again I think I'm past the pink at this point, it's just a matter of wondering if I'm going to be leaving anything on the table with the lentz i was planning.

20. tylerfreak

tylerfreak Member