• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Anyone owned both a THR and a Blackstar?

evildik

I've already got a Zoom G3 for headphones and direct recording. I just took a KRK Rokit 8 back to GC because I was really disappointed in how the G3 sounded through it (just fake and small).

I just play around the house, but I still want to get something that uses an actual speaker. I'm considering the new Yamaha THR series or perhaps a Blackstar HT-5 with the Zoom running through the loop for effects.

Is there anyone who has had a chance to play through both of those amps? If so, which would you recommend for kicking around the house? My local GC doesn't seem to have any Blackstars in stock but they do have the THR's which I intend to try before making any final decisions. Since I have the G3, the effects on the THR aren't really the selling point. I'm more curious about the basic tones sans effects.

Thanks in advance.

shanghaitele

Hi,

I have the zoom g3 (my favorite piece of gear) the black star ht-5R (head) and since few days also the THR 10.

I was thinking after i bought the THR to sell the Ht-5 but after some days i decided that the HT-5 is going to stay.

THR10 is a nice piece of engineering, amazing what come out from those tiny speakers, I bought it to use it primary with my Yamaha Silent and for that it is perfect. To use with electrics honestly i am not yet convinced that it is so amazing. I tried to use the Flat setting with the zoom g3 (direct) and the THR10 is like a micro PA, but overall the bass frequencies are its week point.

In term of models and effects, once you are used with the flexibility and quality of the Zoom G3 the THR 10 seems quite limited.

For me the Ht-5 with the zoom g3 in the input or in the loop it is an amazing combination, i love it.

THR10 it is a nice gadget that if you have extra cash for shopping it worth to buy it.

Of course this is my opinion.

gurumonkey

I have THR-10 and i can say that I've used other modelers into the aux in and gotten great results.

evildik

Thanks for the input guys. I did think about the HT-1, but the lack of an FX loop is holding me back since time based effects don't sound as good to me before the distortion. I'm a little put off by the single tone control as well, but the loop is a bigger concern for me.

Based on the feedback, I'll probably go in the direction of an HT-5 with the G3 in the loop. That's where I was leaning anyway. That way I effectively have a tube amp, a stand alone modeller, and a multi FX.

shanghaitele

Yes, HT-5 if you can swing it unless you will use G3 for all distortion, then you can set an HT-1 to clean and have your time based effects sound good
HT-1 combo wins in term of portability but HT-5 for not too much money more give you an extremely flexibility.

Trending Topics