anyone play 24/192 WAV files?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by tedm, Aug 7, 2004.

1. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

If so, what player do you use? The WAV files from my Cubasis VST don't seem to play in Windows Media Player 9 when output at 24/192. Thanks.

2. OneMileWish

OneMileWish Guest

Hi ted-

It's probably your soundcard. What soundcard are you using? Most don't support 24/192.

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I do from Cubase SX and Wavelab. I have a Lynx L2 and Benchmark DAC-1 for output.

4. tedm

It's the EMU 1212m, does 24/192 well with several programs. It's the Cubasis VST wav exported 24/192 and WMP 9 player compatibility that I'm concerned with.

5. tedm

So to clarify, from your Cubase SX you can create 24/192 wav files, and play them in Windows Media Player 9? Thanks.

6. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

No I don't.

I don't use Media Player on anything except my work computer to play mp3's honestly.

I don't know if Media Player supports higher resolution stuff.

I would export the wav file as a 16 bit/44.1kHz and it'll play in Media Player.

7. tedm

Thanks Scott,
    What I'm trying to do is to determine the compatibility/interoperability of the Cubasis created hi res WAV files. Thanks.

8. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

This may sound like a no brainer, so sorry if it's off basis, but you are playing back through your EMU, not through your internal soundcard, right? If your internal soundcard is activated when you play things through Windows Media player, then more than likely it wouldn't support such a bit rate.

9. tedm

actually what you're saying is correct, WMP and WMD/WMA does so much SRC for you that I sometimes forget when it doesn't SRC the highest formats, so you're absolutely correct, for 24/192 I have to either go thru the EMU or map thru the ASIO driver to the WMD to a format playable thru WMP.