Anyone play a Fender Muddy Waters Tele?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AshlandBump, Jan 4, 2006.

1. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    The MIM version, not the custom shop model.

I'm thinking about getting one, any opinions, good or bad, would be appreciated.

2. Roe

Roe Member

I've heard lots of nice things on telecaster.com and on fenderforum

3. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I have one. It's the best bang for the buck Tele that Fender makes, IMO. Plays great, sounds great.

Those American vintage pickups have a beautiful sparkle to them.
    The neck has a nice medium chunky feel to it, not too slim but not baseball bat, either. Feels like an early '60s neck except medium frets and flatter radius.

You probably know all the specs so I won't list them.

4. nsriley

nsriley Member

Yup I have one as well. I love it! I reset mine up with 10's and it plays great. I love the fact it has great pickups, and has a rosewood board with nice sized frets and a flatter radius than vintage tele's. When I got mine(internet order) it had a horrible grounding problem on the bridge pup. So I ran my own ground wire and now it's quiet. Shouldn't have had to do that on a new guitar, but I'm handy and it only took me a few minutes. Otherwise the guitar's fit and finish were great along with the stock setup. I'd recommend then for best bang for the buck Tele.

-Peace
    -Nate

5. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I also bought one earlier this year.It was everything I wanted in a tele.
    Rosewood board,large wire and a ash body.The difference is I did not like the neck pickup .I thought it was way thin and lifeless so I replaced it with a SD
    Quarter Pounder.Now it has a huge fat tone at the neck.
    I still don't play it so am selling it.I would just rather play a strat. If your interested email me.

6. dangerine49

dangerine49 Member

As long as you like red, it's one of the best Tele's that fender makes.

7. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

I had one, they are very nice, more so when you factor in the $$s. They are a little heavy in general, around 8 lbs or so. Still a good buy.

8. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

I've got one also, and I think it's an unbelievable value. I haven't changed anything on it because it's great to me just the way it is. It seems to fit and sound better than the MIM vintage style Strat I had for a week. I was working at a Fender dealer when these came out and I think the '60's Tele is pretty much the same thing except for the knobs, decal, pickguard and neckplate. Something else to try if you don't like red.

9. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

I don't mind the red, though if I do get one I'd be a little heavy on red guitars since my Heritage is wine red. I've been thinking about making a parts Telecaster for a while and I may use the MW as a platform for that -- eventually replace the body with a one piece, nitro finished body. In the mean time, sounds like they're pretty good guitars as is.

Anyone have trouble adjusting the neck? It's my understanding that you have to take the neck off -- any problem doing this or getting the nect to sit in its socket properly afterwards?

10. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I just adjusted mine a couple weeks ago. All I had to do was take off the pickguard and used a good-sized phillips screwdriver. You should cover the neck pickup with a cloth or something because the screwdriver will rest on it while you're turning it.

11. Unburst

Unburst Member

Anyone know what pups are in them?

I heard theywere Original Vintage, but isn't the bridge staggered?

12. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

The Bridge pickup is a Original Vintage '62 Alnico V, and the neck pickup is a Original Vintage '52 Alnico V. The theory is, is that Fender is using up their old stock of Alnico V '52 neck pickups since they switched to Alnico 3 in their '52 RI Telecasters...

The Muddy Waters Tele uses all American parts but is assembled in Mexico. The body finish is way too thick and is Poly, and most of 'em have very heavy weight Ash bodies (mine is over 9 pounds easy) but they sound great and play great too...

I bought mine with the intention of just flipping it in a few weeks when my Lentz is ready, but I'm gonna have a hard time getting rid of it, they are that good...

13. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

mainstreetexile . . . don't you dare . . . 2 days left and it fits all my specs and I NEED it!!!

14. Lammy

Lammy Member

I love mine, although i just got a p90 equipped tele on ebay that may replace it...

15. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

Already got one and love it. The bridge pickup has a lot of guts but still does a good Tele twang. I love playing the opening notes to Folsom County Blues on it, sounds perfect.

16. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

. . . . . . . . . ;) :cool: