Anyone play a komet 60 with a 212?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Young Angus, May 16, 2006.

1. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

I was originally going to wait and get a 412 g12h cab for my komet but someone has shown interest in buying my mesa 50cal+ combo and the only thing i use it for at the moment is a portable speaker for my heads, and i think i'll be able to sell it for close to what an Ulbricksound 212 g12h cab will cost me and so i was thinking of selling the combo and getting one of these 212's.

Do 212's sound pretty much just as good as a 412 or is there a big difference?

2. Blueser

Blueser Member

I have had two Komet 60's that I ran through a Germino 2x12 cabinet with G12H30s. The Germino is an oversized cabinet, with the same approxiamte dimensions as the large Bogner cab, so there is no low end problem there. It is an incredible sounding cabinet, though I think the G12H30s are a bit bright with the Komet 60.

I use this cabinet now with my Komet Constellation, and it is incredible.

3. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I have a client out here who uses an H55/H75 Scumback (30 watts each) mix in his 4x12 cab, but with a 2x12 you'd better have some extra power handling, as the Komet 60 is louder than it's rated wattage, and you could fry a pair of 30 watt speakers with that head.

Although the Komet can be bright, using darker speakers can tame the brightness. Also, if you opt for a cab with basketweave/salt & pepper cloth, it tames the highs a bit because the cloth is thicker.

Good luck.

4. Blueser

Blueser Member

Jim,

My only problem with this approach in the past, is that you typically sacrifice the clean tones on the Komet (and they are wonderful) with the darker speaker, as it really only get's bright when it's cookin'.

I have found that a more neutral set of speakers, like some Classic Lead 80s can do the trick as well with this amp.

B

5. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Thanks guys.

The main reason im going for g12h's is because i contacted Alex Garcia personally and he confirmed that the sound clips on the komet website were played through a 412 g12h cab (except number 6 i think which is through an altec speaker) and they sound terrific. He had nothing but praise for the g12h30's being a perfect match for the komet.

Do you really think i'd be in danger of frying two 30watt speakers with a komet? The website actually states that the power of the komet 60 amp is between 50watts and 60watts depending on output tubes.

6. Blueser

Blueser Member

Careful there....My understanding, is that the speakers Alex used for that clip were vintage G12H30s, that were well broken in, loaded in a mojolicious vintage Marshall cabinet. Almost like stacking the deck, compared to current day G12H30's. :D I would definitley try the Scumbacks with either a 2x12 or a 4x12 from Germino or Mojo (The cab maker for Germino). Give Jim Seavall (Southbay) a call.

7. nek

nek Member

I use a Dr Z "Z Best" 2x12 (Celestion V30 and an H30) and it sounds OK to me. I'm running a pair of EL34's in the Komet and I haven't blown up anything yet.

8. Scumback Speakers

The short answer is yes, I think you'd be in real danger of frying two 30 watt speakers with the Komet 60. What usually happens with amp power ratings is that they rate the amp's power output with a clean signal. That's usually with an oscilloscope, 8 ohms (although it could be other ohm settings), with no distortion (or very little) and a clean sine wave as measured by the Oscilloscope. However, in most amps (like say mine) that occurs with the volume at 2. My amp is fairly linear in volume output, so if 2 is 20 watts, then 7, where most folks like to hear the amp tone, is going to be alot more than 20 watts RMS.

As an example, I found a JCM 800 amp manual online that rates the amp's power output.

A 50 watt JCM 800 will put out 50-60 watts clean, but 90 when turned up to 8 or 9. The JCM 800 100 watt will put out 140 clean, and 190 turned up. As you can see, this kind of output will wreak havoc with speakers.

Speakers typically are not built to handle 50-100% more than their power ratings, so that's why Komet used an old 4x12 Basketweave cab with their Komet 60. The four old G12H30 55hz cones that they used were rated for 120 watts (4x30), so diming the Komet 60 would be no problem, and IME, a good match as it's got the speakers "working" with enough power to move the cones properly and with great dynamic response to pick attack, and your technique, or amp tone. But there was a good 25% headroom for the power handling, so it was no sweat doing that. And if the old speakers had lost a bit of power handling due to age, say even 10%, that would be no problem either.

I bought four old G12H30's from a seller here in LA last year, and he said that he used an old metal panel 100 watt Marshall from 72/73 with it, and swore the speakers were good. Three of the four had voice coil rub, a condition that happens when they've been overheated and go out of round due to too much power being applied to them. So you can't run a good 100 watt head with one single 4x12, unless you go with higher power speakers.

I hope this answers your questions on the speakers.

Blueser...FYI: Mojo hasn't built Germino's cabs for well over a year now. He uses another company (not sure who), but he's been using them for about 16 months now, from what he told me last October. Contact Greg about who he's using now, but it's not Mojo.

9. Blueser

Blueser Member

Thanks Jim.....I appreciate the information! :cool:

10. Scumback Speakers

No problem, Dave!

11. mlongano

mlongano Member

I play my Komet 60 through a THD 2x12 with Vintage and Longhorn speakers (80 watts), as well as through a Germino 4x12 G12H30. Both sound great.

12. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Hmm interesting...surely though i'd have thought that many people would be using 412 g12h30 cabs with their old marshall jmp's and such? That would mean that all these people were in danger of frying their amps if they cranked it...which many people probably do with their old marshalls...

13. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

I could quite easily make a point of always using my THD hotplate with the komet so that there would be less risk of frying the speakers...?