Anyone play a Marshall Stuidio 15 ?? Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StompBoxBlues, Jan 5, 2008.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I have a chance to pick one up, and have never played one. The claim is there are only 500 made total, but if I'm lucky, someone here has tried/owned/has one?

What do they sound like?

Can you gig with them at all?

Is it a "loud" 15 watts?

Just ANY info at all welcome!

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I would actually say that it sounds even more like a small Jubilee than a JCM800 - it's got a similar darker, crunchier tone, though with less gain.

I gigged with mine, and it was plenty loud enough. I did think it was a bit boxy sounding, so I fitted it with EL34s - which is perhaps not a good idea, although it didn't cause any trouble in the couple of years I used it like that - which made it much bigger-sounding and more 'Marshally'.

3. bosstone

bosstone Member

I have had two and thought they were great little amps with good tone and a good range of sounds. They have good cleans through very good JCM 800 type distortion. The mid control is the secret to that amp and if you really want to hear what that amp can do in a performance setting, put it through a Marshall 1965 4 X 10" cab or your choice of 4 X 12" cabs. It definitely sounds boxy to me through its own combo cab. I think boxy little cabs make boxy little sounds. After trying a Celestion Blue and a Rola Celestion G12-65, I put the stock Celestion back in because neither of the other speakers made a significant improvement. The stock speaker is well matched for that amp. It is great for practice or recording this way but it does so much more with an external cab that I would always use an external cab. They are a very good deal at $550.00 to $650.00 if they are in good condition. I wouldn't go much beyond that price because at that point there are a lot of other great choices. This is unless I wanted it from a collectors stand point. They are rare and they will go up steadily in price.

I have read in several places that there were only 500 made and that they are the only Marshall to use 6V6 tubes. They are about as loud as the typical 15 watt amp but no more than that.

4. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I put a Scumback G12H-75hz in it. I thought it brightened the tone up and made the low bass bit more solid. The V30 that's in there just has a nasal tone I couldn't abide. Otherwise it is a nice sounding amp has decent master volume and is fairly light weight.

5. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

There was a cap mod on the net somewhere a long time ago that I did to mine and I liked it, seemed to open up the sound a bit:
    change c1 to 120pf 400v
    change c2 to 1500pf 400v
    change c13 to .005uf 400v

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks all of you for the tips, they were better help for me to decide than the HC User Reviews. I think I got a good sense of what its plusses and minuses are.

Bosstone, good advice, that helped too because the guy is asking (keep in mind I am in Norway, where prices are higher for all this stuff...I always have to addon a bit in my calculations from US prices for used stuff) a good deal too much for it I think, so I decided that...along with the bass being not prominent...I think I will pass.

Thanks for the help!

7. dorianadams

dorianadams Member

would you like to sell the original speaker?
    I love my two studio 15's
    Mids at 0 = nearly blackface- mids at 5 = tweed or vox depending on gain settings.mids 10= med high gain marshall ( Jubilee?) type sounds.Also capable of Matchless style rich clean see clip #2Killer amps
    Here is a little bit of Studio 15
    www.blues2001.com/wannabe.mp3
    www.blues2001.com/intermezzo.mp3 live noodling
    www.blues2001.com/cheaphotel.mp3
    Oops. I just saw where you already passed on it.

8. frank4001

frank4001 Member

Great amp. I just popped a Weber 1265 in mine because my V-30 is having the dust cap re attached...I just may keep it in there...Sounds great...a little extra bass it seems and very smooth. As for gigging sure its loud enough but it all depends on the situation. You may need to mike it..Can be under powered in some...Small bar or club?...Put it on a chair or something and off you go. I like a bit more power if I'm doing a 3 piece though.

9. badtoneno

badtoneno Supporting Member

I loved that first clip man- nice tasty playing and the song was cool too. Kind of reminded me of 3 Doors Down a little- hope that isn't taken as a cut.:dude

10. dorianadams

dorianadams Member

I consider that a nice compliment. 3 Doors down is a great band.Thank you very much.:RoCkIn

11. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

Isn't there a trick where you can run the speaker out back into the amp (headphones) and then get a killer cranked amp tone at variable levels?

I seem to have read that somewhere, but am not sure if it is safe or advisable.

12. bosstone

bosstone Member

If you just plug the speaker into the headphone jack you get a set 1 watt output to the speaker.

13. dorianadams

dorianadams Member

I really don't run it that way because it sounds tweezy but you can do it and it is safe.

14. bosstone

bosstone Member

I agree but it is a great way to get very usable sounds at apartment loudness levels, which is something that very few amps are capable of. I used mine that way while watching TV and doodling on the guitar at the same time and quiet practicing. Using the attenuated circuit with the gain and master allowed for some fairly decent sound at very low volume.

15. dorianadams

dorianadams Member

Oh yes.The speaker in the headphone output is good for late night apartment playing and such but I would never record that way or anything. Not much studio 15 love around here?
    [​IMG]
    one more clip. All studio 15 kinda George Harrison/Freddy King??
    www.blues2001.com/tiredofdreamin.mp3

16. dorianadams

dorianadams Member

PS that is Studio not Stuidio!! :) I think Stui Dio is Ronnie's brother?

17. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I still own one. I can't gig with it (I have a 100watt min),
    but others do. Yes, they're a loud 15watts and amazing
    sounding. These do best with NOS tubes, you'll feel
    the difference.

18. dorianadams

dorianadams Member

Great point. I also use a Mullard 12AT7(CV4024) in the PI.I have Bendix5992 in one and RCA blackplates in the other. They give v1 a real workout as well. Gotta have a REAL good tube in there. DC heaters keep it real quiet. I love the tone stack on this amp . I would love to hook up the mid control to a footpedal. With this amp it would be almost like a sweepable channel switching.

19. bosstone

bosstone Member

Martin Barre of Jethro Tull used 6 at once in concert for about a year and recorded two Tull albums with one. That won't meet your 100 watt min, though.

20. dorianadams

dorianadams Member

well they actually put out 33 watts at full clipping so you could make a case for that meeting the spec Also you can use the line out (S) to run slave power amps and more cabs......or go to effects and then to a stereo 50 watt a side Marshall power amp for a wet rig etc. Love the tone of these things.Plus they run cool . They beat up v1 but power tubes last forever.