Anyone play a "Nashville" telecaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by squeally dan, Mar 6, 2008.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I've always liked the look and feel of my telecaster but I like the in between sounds of my strat. Are the Nashville Teles a good compromise? Can you get good strat and good tele bridge sounds? I'd be curiousas to what folks are using and would love to see some pics. I think the James Burton tele looks awesome!

2. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Mine is a custom built from 1977. This one used to be owned by Bobby Caldwell. This is a true studio tele from back in the day. I wouldn't say it gets stratty. Its definetly a tele. I have mine wired with a Schaller Super Switch so I go: Bridge, Bridge/Neck, Middle, Middle Neck, Neck. I like having the Bridge/Neck option like on a regular tele.

Believe it I found out that the builder of this guitar and my long time guitar tech are one in the same. He just refretted it this week with 6105s and it plays like a brand new guitar.

BTW, the top and back are flamed eucalyptus wood, hence its nickname the Koalacaster or Coughdrop tele ;)

[​IMG]

3. aaronbarnes

aaronbarnes Member

I've got a 2000 Am Deluxe tele with the three pickups. sounds good and can get kinda stratty. these have a mini toggle between the knobs to switch the middle pickup

I like the extra range of options, but it does'nt replace a strat.

4. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Member

I have a couple of Nashville Teles and I got them for just the reason you described. I was playing Teles 90% of the time, but still wanted the Strat quack on a few songs. I loved the Nashvile in that it would get the exact sound of the Strat, but it's close. I too did the mod to get the traditional switching of the bridge and neck pup (middle position on a regualr Tele), and that gives you an even wider range of tones and sounds. They are a nice guitar...

5. brdstl

brdstl Member

Man, I wish I still had that Nashville Tele somebody left at my house. I loved that thing.

6. peedenmark7

peedenmark7 Member

I like the nashville set up but find the look a bit cluttering to the face of the guitar...
    add a b-bender and you have the ultimate tele..

I dont care for a 5 way switch .

I wish I could find a push/push switch to activate the middle pickup..

the '90s import charvel tx teles had this option .

very cool as you could still work the tele 3 way but push the tone to activate or cancel the middle pickup rather than messing with a slide switch...

I may buy one of those imports simply to rob the push push pot to install on one of my custom made teles...

7. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck Member

Have any of you tried the new Peavey Generation Triple single? These have really piqued my interest. It wouldn't be my main guitar, probably third on the depth chart on three electrics. I've considered pulling the trigger with that price.

http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-PEA005938.html

8. c_mac

c_mac Member

I know that people want to split hairs here but the fact is this - a 3 pickup Tele does the nice quack tones that you are looking for.

9. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Cool. Whats my best option if I can round up about $1200. I may sell a guitar that is worth about that much.

10. jay42

jay42 Member

Does anyone make one with a strat pickup in the neck position too? David Gilmour has one, but it's probably modded.

11. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Here is one I had made.

[​IMG]

12. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Squealy_Dan, I think the James Burton is even closer to a strat in Tele's clothes than a Nashville... someone said mine was like a hard tail strat in a Tele's body and I think that is close. Unfortunately, it's gone... the person who bought it had 2 other JB Tele's!!!
    Anyway, if you can find one they are probably right up your alley BUT - the Nashville (especially the one listed right above my post) looks killer if you really want and need the Tele bridge/saddle/pup tones PLUS "some" strat-like options. Whereas the JB Tele is probably more strat-like than Tele-like (if that makes sense).
    Personally, for the money you are looking at I might even consider a partscaster put together by a well respected Luthier who can get you exactly what you are looking for....

13. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

I had this one made. I wanted to try to "hide" the middle pup with a white cover, but went with Rio Grande's and the neck pup doesn't have the silver cover, so I went all out with all black....and I wired it with a superswitch to go: Neck>neck/middle>neck/bridge>middle/bridge>bridge. I love it. It's a tele fer sure, but it does the Strat thing pretty well, too.

[​IMG]

14. Tramp

Tramp Gold Supporting Member

I had an Anderson Hollow T Classic "Pete Anderson" model that I just sold in the Emporium. The SA-series middle pickup with the swamp ash top was/is just to die for. A little bit spankier than what would usually be the middle position (neck and bridge) on a three-way. (I got that with the push-pull function on the tone knob.) All in all an incredibly versatile guitar with lots of usable tones. I never really used the 'quack' tones, but don't on my strat either. I'm going to miss this one! :(

[​IMG]

15. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Holy guitars Batman!

16. diego

diego Member

If you're looking for the quack on a tele by using a strat pick up in the middle position, an alder body will get you closer to it then an ash body. I have a Suhr Classic T with an alder body, maple neck with rosewood board, tele pups in the neck and bridge, and strat in the middle, and I prefer it the Strats I've compared it to. If you like Teles more than Strats, you might agree... it's not the same, but gives you some of the flavor.

17. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I went cheap - a MIM Fender Nashville Power Tele for $400 off Ebay. It not only gets the quack tone, the power bridge does a credible acoustic sound. I probably bring to more gigs than any other single guitar for it's versatility. It is my go-to 1st set guitar, because we do a few quieter songs that mix acoustic and electric tones (ya know - the dinner set).

It's set up with a 5 way switch and concentric vol/tone for the pickups. The power bridge is wired to what is normally the tele tone knob - vol only, no tone. You can blend the pickup with the power bridge this way. The controls are very intuitive and easy to use live - simple.

It plays nicely, and for the price, its a steal.

18. c_mac

c_mac Member

Weren't Strats originally made with ash?