Anyone play a Turner RS-6 on stage?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by WahmBoomAh, Jul 2, 2008.

1. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

HI ... technically it might not be an acoustic but my hope is it passes for one .
    I have the nylon version (RN-6) Rennaissance by Rick Turner and I love it .
    I `ve never played the steel string version and was curious if anyone could give me their impressions of how it works on stage .
    Does it do fingerpick or strum better?
    String to string balance ?
    Light pick , hard strum ...is it believable ?

thanks

2. dave251

dave251 Member

3. WahmBoomAh

any revival hopes on this thread ? thanks

4. Loud Librarian

Loud Librarian Member

I had an older model (knobs on the face of the guitar) that I used for a while when I played in an acoustic flavored rock band. I used it for "lead acoustic" type stuff, taking advantage of the big cutaway and lots of frets. I capoed on 7 most of the time to play inversions with our singer/guitarist. Nice fat tone that wouldn't distort when you hit it hard, the 18 volt system is cool. I played mostly fingerstyle on it through an electric guitar amp with some effects, especially compression. Not a natural acoustic sound this way but worked great with the band. I sold it once that band broke up as I was gassing for other stuff.

5. Loud Librarian

Loud Librarian Member

Oh yeah, NO feedback despite the compression. They are great stage guitars!

6. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I use mine in an acoustic duo and with the band regularly. I love it. The neck feels great, the tone is wonderful. While not exactly providing the "wood and air" of a full bodied acoustic, it sounds very authentic and even in a solo situation I feel it does a great job. It sounds a bit tighter than my 614 in comparison and for the rooms where the Fishman just seems to feedback no matter what I do, the Ren is a godsend. String balance is excellent, although I like a heavier E and B string than Rick puts on them since I think it fattens them up a bit. Lots of headroom with the 18 volt Timberline system. It kind of has this "growl" that I really like. I mainly flatpick so I can't really comment too much on the fingerstyle question, although mine has the 1 3/4" fingerstyle nut width and plays like a dream.

I've put it on the block a couple of times when gassing for other gear, but have always changed my mind before letting it go....thankfully!

7. WahmBoomAh

Thanks guys .... seems to be in the same league as the RN6 ..might have to troll for one ...there`s quite a variance of prices though.... keep me in mind