Anyone play outdoor gigs below freezing?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Gillespie1983, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Gillespie1983

Gillespie1983 Member

Playing for a fund-raiser this morning at 8 a.m. outdoors. 28 degrees. What was I thinking when I volunteered??

Anyone else play outdoor gigs below freezing?

2. MERKS

MERKS Supporting Member

Nope, but you better have a strong heater blowing directly at you (your hands) or you will not be playing for long. Best to you.

3. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

I can't even play outside if the temperature goes below 60... My hands refuse. Good luck. I think the heater is a good suggestion. How about a Spinal Tap style pod? You could put a space heater in there...

4. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

- outdoors at 8AM? ski area maybe?
    - leave the nitro finishes at home, unless you're going for "relic".
    - put some "hot hands" in your shoes
    - forego your vanity and wear a hat
    - have a ball!

5. jota

jota Member

Yes, I already did and probably will be doing it again soon!
    16th of February and 7th of March at 22:00h it will not be very hot around here for sure!
    I used to have those bike gloves on so I would not freeze my hands completely!

[​IMG]

6. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

I did it for three years in a row. 3 hour acoustic gig in a park during the early morning. It was horrible. Never again!

7. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

I have done sevral at/below/near freezing outdoor gigs. Never fun. All were windy. One had those big jet heaters which felt good but constantly made my guitar go wildly out of tune. It was a New Years Eve gig. What were they/we thinking?

At least I has my pimp suit to help keep me warm. Here is a photo from the actual NYE gig
    [​IMG]

8. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

It's hard enough to get me to play outdoors in temperate weather. I'd prefer cooler than summer in oklahoma... On a flatbed.. Without shade.... But with old school lights...

9. ezcomes

ezcomes Member

there's a winter festival here every February...we've played twice at 9pm....great time...but cold...minus 22 degrees Celsius the once and minus 27 the other
    they had heaters on the stage but the first year my side ran out of gas half way thru our set...and the second there was only one heater on the other side of the stage...

I suggest dressing in layers...it's easier to take cloths off than be cold...I've been the only warm person both years

I would also suggest leaving you instrument in the car for a day before the gig to acclimatize...that way it will actually stay in the ne for more than a minute...

our singer didn't listen to me the first year and his guitar wouldn't stay in tune for longer than it took to tune it

10. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

I did a gig a few years ago for a multiple sclerosis benefit. It was 18 degrees when we started. We played in a large unheated barn, so at least we didn’t have to contend with wind. By the end of our set I felt so cold I couldn’t feel my fingers and I could barely play. Never again.

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

Yup - and it sucked... The guitarist and I had the worst time trying to keep our hands warm, and had tuning issues big time...

- georgestrings

12. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

We've played a number of cold outdoor gigs. Actually we play a Polar Bear Plunge a week from today I think we are looking at the 40's for it though.

Worst time was a benefit run where we set up before the sun came up along the run route.

It was so cold I normally wouldn't even be out in it much less play.

When the sun came up it was a bit better but still very tough to play.

13. profgalen

profgalen Member

I played an outside gig tonight. It was about 70. That's why I live in SoFla.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Zero

Zero Member

Band I was in about 5 years ago played outside in Minnesota, and it was 30 degrees. They had industrial (huge) heaters blowing warm air directly on either side of the stage, and I positioned myself in front of one. Felt like it did nothing. I cut the finger tips off of some old gloves. It was horrible.

15. wstsidela

wstsidela I'm bonafied Gold Supporting Member

Nope. Sounds like a Californian's version of a nightmare.

16. Greentone

Greentone Member

I wouldn't be doing that unless the fund raising was about a months mortgage for me. Lots o luck.

17. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

It is. We were playing this festival for charity up in Bakersfield in late December, were the act right before the headliner and went on at 8PM. It was 25 degrees by then and even with a blast heater 8 feet away and aimed right at me, my fingers felt like they we gonna fall off. When I could move them that is...

When we got offstage after our set, the bandleader of the next band said, "how was it dude?" I told him "Hey bro, it's so f%$king cold up there, for once I'm glad were not going on last." and he laughed...after their set he came up to me and said "You're right. I know it's for a good cause, but we're never doing this again in this kind of weather."

18. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Check out Keith Urban's outdoor NYE performance at Niagara Falls this year.
    He is trying hard but is not a happy outdoor camper.

19. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Will there be an audience... at 8AM.?
    On a side note...we provided guitar and bass backline for a band...about 7-8 years ago. They did a gig in Reno, outside, in Februaury. It was real cold. But it was right downtown, across from The Silverado.
    It was a benefit for Homeless/Unwed/Abused Young Mothers.
    The band (it MIGHT have been The California Cowboys) were doing it for expense money, so we loaned them the gear.
    The lead singer later told me that they got a few referrals from the lady that ran That Show.....she told her contacts that:
    "These guys played outside, in the cold, for free". And she gave them a thumbs-up when she could.
    Ssssooooo.......you just never know what one "small" act of kindness will lead to.
    good luck with the gig my friend

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  20. BK Verbs

BK Verbs Gold Supporting Member

There is a street preacher from P.R. that sings and plays guitar along with backing tracks for about 5 hours every Saturday on a busy corner near our apartment in Brooklyn. He plays a MIM Strat through a Mustang into a portable PA. He's got a bluesy Santana tone totally dialed in and does Christian Rock tunes often with long extended solos in between sermons in English and Spanish.

In any case, rain or shine, he's out there. It was a high of around 20 degrees yesterday and there he was spreading the gospel and rocking out. Have to give him props for his commitment.