Anyone played a Bourgeois DS 12 fret

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Bluzeboy, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

Looking for impressions.
    The good the bad whatever.
    Thanks in advance.

2. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

I spent an hour and half A/B-ing one with a collings 12. Can't say there was clear winner.

Bluzeboy likes this.
  3. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

I don't know about that model, but my Bourgeois, an MS Sig, is a 12-fret dread, and the best guitar I ever played for its intended purpose, slide and dropped tunings. Mine is pretty bright considering that it is Engelmann (?) and EIR, so adi and mahogany could be very bright. If I was in the market for a 12-fret fingerpicker, that would be on the "try" list.

Bluzeboy likes this.
  4. Bluzeboy

thanks.. the one I saw is actually adi and EIR.
    I’ve heard they can be a bit mid and top end heavy...

5. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

Mine is very well balanced, just as strong in the high registers as the lower ones, which is what I want for for slide, I wouldn't call it top end heavy, just well-balanced. I find it a bit too big and open-sounding for fretted fingerpicking though - I prefer something tighter, like a typical Maton. :)

Bluzeboy likes this.
  6. Bluzeboy

7. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

My '97 Martin Simpson is Adi and Indian Rosewood. Incredibly fat sounding guitar...a strong but not overpowering midrange. That 12 fret bridge placement really does something to the tone.

Bluzeboy likes this.
  8. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

Yes, it is worth noting that on these MS models, 12-fret is achieved by moving the bridge and soundhole back on a 14-fret-size body, not by increasing the length of the upper bout. I have long thought that having the bridge more centered on the lower bout has something to do with the outstanding tone, but at least one good "technical" luthier has argued that there is a lot more to it than that. Mine , a "95, was made in the "Akai" period, and record keeping doesn't seem to have been so good at that time - Dana was apparently too busy making guitars - which is why there is uncertainty about the top. However, from pics, one very expereinced luthier thought it was more likely Engelmann than sitka, and that could partly account for some aspects of its tone.

9. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Dana makes fine instruments in all sizes. Top shelf new builder.

Each one is going to have to be evaluated individually and mated to its potential owners technique and sonic preference and style.

That said...if you know you like the 12 fret sound, there’s no reason that a Bourgeois wouldn’t be an excellent choice.

His guitars (IME) are heavy enough to handle a lot of right hand energy without folding up, but aren’t so overbuilt that you can’t play quietly or with fingers.

Make mine in Adi/Mahogany please!

This coming from a fan of Martin voiced guitars.

10. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

The fully bolt-on neck is also a big plus wrt stability, insofar as it makes resets relatively cheap and easy, should that become necessary.

11. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

That’s true...that said I love my Martin. It’s got the sound I want.

I had a Ditson...that guitar was incredible. That was my last 12 fret D.

Lots of Smaller 12 fret terms have come and gone over the years. Sadly none made the cut