Anyone played a Gibson Vibrola ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by OlAndrew, Jun 25, 2008.

1. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

Hows it compare with a Bigsby ? I see most of the older 355s have the Vibrola.

2. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

Vibrola is the Brand, they did many models of trem.
    Could you post a pic or a year ?
    Basically the Vibrola called "side to side" that you see on Les paul 61 and 62, even tho some had Bigsbies and the Ebony tailpiece with Vibrola arm.
    The Side to side is a very heavy and quite complicated trem. I really dislike it personally but of course it s a piece of gibson history so when it s on a guitar we just let it be :D Lots of 335 345 and 355 are also equipped with it. Due to its complicated spring system and natural wear, a lot of them don t stay in tune at all and they are heavy. It s pretty though !
    The "lyre" Vibrola is a very simple concept and works just fine . It s light and stable when you re not using it and bend your strings, mute the strings etc.
    I hope that helps :D

3. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

I played an old non-reverse firebird with the vibrola style tremelo on it. It was more stable and solid than I thought it would be.

4. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

my '61 355 mono has the "side to side" trem, and I either avoid it by keeping the arm folded, or use it gentley to get that vocal wavering feedback at the end of a tune. Not the best invention to come out of the golden years at Gibson, but sure looks cool, and doesn't seem to detract from the killer tone of the instrument. Wish I could afford a matching SG custom. I'll try to post a pic this weekend.

5. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

Yes.

I love Bigsbys; Maestros...not so much.

I use them subtly...but the Maestro is just not my thing (even if you mitigate the tuning problems). I would rather have a stop bar.