Anyone played a Kingsley Deluxe 50????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hbentley, Feb 7, 2008.

1. hbentley

hbentley Member

I owned a Kingsley Deluxe 30 and loved it. I've been pondering picking up the Deluxe 50, but can't seem to find much information on them. Has anyone played one? Anyone compared them to the 30's? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks guys!!!

2. tybone

tybone Member

Bigger, Louder more clean headroom. Same luscious tone just bigger. Lots of boost options too. If you have a 30 and need the same vibe but louder with more clean headroom do it. The amp went toe to toe with my opal on the dirty channel and hand slightly better cleans.

Larry

3. hbentley

hbentley Member

is it way louder? i thought the volume on the 30 was great. is it like fender twin headroom or can it get a little dirty at a reasonable volume (by reasonable i don't mean bedroom). last question...is it too fast with the solid state rectifier? that's probably my biggest concern. i usually like the little bit of sag that a tube rectifier provides.

4. tybone

tybone Member

Is it louder - Oh yes and spanky too. It is not quite like a fender twin clean. The Kingsley 50 seems to give the same tonal variations as the 30 but with the extra headroom. It is not super clean at high volumes like a twin but it seems like it can give you 50 fairly clean (and very sweet) watts.

Is it faster. A little but there seems to be a fair bit of give. It was still a precise amp but it had way more give than my Opal. That might be why I felt that the K50 cleans were sweeter. You probably want to talk to the folks at Kingsley for more on that one. Simon is a fine player and seems like a nice guy to boot. Both of these things help when talking with an amp builder.

Hope this helps.
    Larry

5. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Simon is a very nice guy and will answer any questions you have. He has certainly answered all of my dumb questions.

6. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

The clips on his web site are awesome. I saw on for sale on ebay a couple of weeks ago. Frankly I think any kingsley you could get your hands on would put a huge smile on your face. Even while sleeping!

7. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

The D50 has the same preamp as the D30, only the power section is different - instead of 4 x EL84s @ 30W, it's 2 x 6L6s @ 50W. So it's the same tonal family, just altered a bit due to a different/stronger power section, so more headroom, and the usual differences between EL84s & 6L6s or EL34s.

In fact, the ToneBaron's preamps are essentially the same as the Deluxe series, according to Simon, but the overall architecture provides a more expansive tonal field.

8. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

He will put a Rectifier tube in the 50 if you want it.
    He said the amp still has a nice feel with the SS rectifier so he decided to go in that direction with this amp.

9. Rocketship

Rocketship Member

Not to throw a wet blanket on the kingsley parade, but I owned a D50 for 3 years and did not ever bond with it. I tried every speaker and tube combination I could muster, and it still left me wanting. I might have had a bad one or something.... It was noisey and flat sounding.
    I am currently sitting on a carr hammerhead for gigs and a carr merc for home/recording and feel perfectly whole with my tone.
    :YinYang
    I recently tried a tophat Club Royale TC-CR1 and it sounded waywayway cool....:MMM

check er out...
    www.myspace.com/rocketmuzik
    www.myspace.com/parkaveband