Anyone played a Nik Huber???

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by drwatson63, Aug 26, 2006.

1. drwatson63

drwatson63 Member

I'm lloking for a Les Paul type boutique guitar. I had pretty much settled on the McNaught singlecut as I had the chance to play one recently...wonderful craftsmanship. The Huber Orca model has had great reviews and is a little more expensive than the McNaught I saw. I don't know of any Huber dealers near me. Can anyone tell me their opinions about the instrument? Perhaps compared to a McNaught? Is it worth the price tag??? What about the Housel pups? THANKS

2. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

I've played a few (and had just a few more pass through my hands...)

They are awesome, and worth the dough/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Willcutts has a few Orca's in stock, and I know Cliff at www.destroyallguitars.com has several nice ones on the way. Give him a call, he'll treat you right.

3. george4908

george4908 Member

I played one of his Telecasterish-shaped models at a guitar show. Only played it 5 or 10 minutes but it was immediately apparent that it was an exceptionally fine instrument. Well built, played beautifully and sounded great. Very impressive.

4. xroads

xroads Member

Keep in mind that the Orcas don't have the LP scale, if that's important to you.

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I had one briefly. It was cool for sure but it didn't kick my ass like the Heatley I had did. That guitar had that something extra you don't find in alot of guitars. One of the Top 5 guitars I really regret selling. [​IMG]

Send Mr. heatley an email.........your selling yourself short if you don't. [​IMG]

http://www.heatleyguitars.com/

6. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

OldSchool - which was the one you had?? Just out of curiosity...

Just one 'lil recommendation: if you want to have more of a modern rock kind of attitude you should plan to get the Haeussel VIN / VIN+ combo instead of the Classic "paf clone" set Nik usually uses.

Oh yeah... A "fatback" korina Orca w/ the flametop (and the VIN / VIN+ combo) IMHO is one of the baddest tickets around. Especially after having heard some pro guitarists take one for a ride at Frankfurt -and seeing their incredulous faces!! :D

Good luck, hope you ride your dream hoober home ;)

JJ

7. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I had a Dolphin II. It had those rare German pick ups in it as well. It felt like a really fine piece of German enginering. But I compare it to a BMW and a Corvette. The Corvette will just give you that kick in your pants that only a V8 can do.

Another great new Boutique LP on the Market is Collins. The same acoustic maker is now making Kick ass LP's in Austin Texas. Check it out over at FAT SOUND.

http://www.fatsoundguitars.com/

8. koamarlin

koamarlin Member

How come you try to compare apples to pears....???

:messedup

9. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

If I'm not mistaken, many BMWs now utilize V-8s and V-12s.

I've never heard or played a Huber, and it was on my short-list of guitars that I really liked until I read that "Ultimate Les Paul" thread or whatever. Apparently, the body style of the Orca is very similar to a LP, but the tone is different. Better, but different.

10. Don L

Don L Member

Still digging this one. I'd have to say it is the best made and best playing guitar I have right now and have tried in 25 years of playing. The tone of mine is like a very good '50s les paul standard with some Fender sweetness and chime sprinkled on it. It has the "fatback".
    If you want something slightly different than a "traditional" les paul, you might really dig Huber Orcas...

[​IMG]

11. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

I still love that guitar. it is the color with the natural binding, just a stunning guitar

12. koamarlin

koamarlin Member

Nik´s Orca , especially the "fatback" version - is the non plus ultra Les Paul I have played so far. Plus : you get much more crispy tone out of it thanks to the Häussel pups.
    We´not talking BMW here - we´re talking PORSCHE 911 turbo.....!!!:p:) :AOK

13. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Wow that is the nicest one I've seen by far!! [​IMG]

That would make Gary Rossington blush!!:AOK

14. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Yeah but it has a lam-top, and it wasn't hand built :D :D
    Just kidding, selbstverständlich! (hope I spelled that right, LOL)

JJ

15. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

[​IMG]

Someone just posted this over at NHFC... incoming from the BMW facto...ehr - sorry about that ;) - ... straight from Nik's shop and handled by Marc's Guitars.
    Ka-zam!!

Different from Don's classy thang - this one sports a top that can be seen 100 feet away from a crowded stage (it's a Dolphin, in case you wondered). And I bleieve that it has an equally stunning brazzy 'board, to boot :dude

JJ

16. koamarlin

koamarlin Member

One of Nik´s early FOTOFLAME TOPS!!!!Auf jeden Fall!!!:BEER

17. straightblues

straightblues Member

I play Hamer guitars. I have owned well over 100 guitar and have been playing for 20 plus years. I have been to the NAMM show in L.A. at least 10 times and have played almost every guitar out there. These Hubers are the best guitars I have ever picked up and played, PERIOD. I generally think paying over $2,000 for a guitar is insane, but Mr. Huber has taught me that I was wrong. At least in the case of Huber guitars. They are that good!!!

18. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

I keep wanting one, but have never been able to play one. I really want a trem as well and there are very few of those around. Unfinshed neck as well. I've been gassing for a new guitar for quite a while and would jump on one with the right specs.

19. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

The specs are up to you, really.
    If you check nikhuberfanclub.com you'll see some pretty unique pieces, custom ordered by one or another enthusiast...
    Some nice inventory can be found on dealers' pages such as Willcutt, Synergy Guitars, Marc's Guitars, Destroy All Guitars (our own Cliff Cultreri) just to name a few.
    (for the complete list of the US authorized dealers pls check out http://www.nikhuber-guitars.de/2006_dealers.htm)

JJ

20. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

Where in SoCal are you located?