Anyone played a Warehouse Guitar Speakers (WGS) Invader speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by traynor_garnet, Feb 21, 2012.

1. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

Looking for a greenback speaker that retains a nice high end for cleans and can handle a bit more power. The Invader seems to fit the bill, but it is hard to gauge online demos.

Anyone used one of these in person? Comments?

My other thought was to grab a Weber ceramic blue and silver.

TG

2. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

3. freaksho

freaksho Member

i had a set briefly. they definitely had what you're describing, but it turns out that was not the sound i wanted. i'm a smoother highs guy when it comes to OD (G12H30, V30, etc) so i found the Invaders too bright and raspy for my taste. i guess i'm just not a Greenback lover. also worth noting that they were brand new and i didn't give them a chance to break in at all. i understand the Green Beret is a very popular Greenback substitute so i don't think you could go wrong with the Invader.

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Look at the Eminence GB12 perhaps? 50w Greenback style w/ warm highs and fuller bass, plus a steal price-wise.

5. gulliver

gulliver Member

The ET-65 is nice, greenbackish but slightly lower voicing but still has nice highs, very big, full and ratty, great for low to mid gain - low power PAF + Vintagey Marshall tones. The GB12 is nice too, as mentioned, best for strat meets brit tones IMHO. For higher gain, you can't beat the 65 watt scumback stuff.

6. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

I just got a Liberator recently (also considered the Invader & ET65), and am really happy with it. Does bits of what you're looking for well.

7. jfwund

jfwund Member

I have an Invader paired with a Reaper 50 in my 2x12 and it's great for straight-up bluesy rock and grunge. I ended up with that combo by emailing WGS (pm'ing them on tgp) and this is what they recommended for the sounds I wanted. They were right. I'd recommend talking with them and telling them what you're looking for and what you're playing through, and they'll steer you right. Good luck!

8. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

bumpin - anyone have an Invader paired with a Vox or similar amp? Heard some clips over the weekend and was pretty impressed too.

9. surfhard

surfhard Supporting Member

I ran my Vox AC15HW1X through my Dr Z 112 cab loaded with the Invader just for kicks and liked what I heard. Cleans were great and od tones were very smooth. Very similar to the Eminence GB128 which is a great speaker in my book.

10. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

Interesting, so less fizzy/harsh than a Greenback at higher gain settings?

11. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

There's a speaker shootout on youtube where the WGS Green Beret sounded every bit as good as a Celestion Blue. It was impressive. Don't know how the invader will fare.

12. FuzzMike

FuzzMike Silver Supporting Member

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  13. 11justin22

11justin22 Member

14. strattitude

strattitude Member