Anyone played both the ERT33 and 65amps London?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Chrissy, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

If so, can you please compare the following:

Character of the "click" channel (5879 or EF86 side)

Clean-up-ability with guitar volume

Volume with the clean side set to crunch

Many thanks!

Chris

PS I have the 33 and the London is on the way to replace it...

Note: Please compare the ERT in half power mode... thanks!

2. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I have the 9/15 and have played the London. No comparison in my book. I dug the 9/15 much better.

3. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Care to elaborate what you liked more? Was that compared to the EL84 or 6v6 side?

Thanks

Chris

4. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

el84 side. The 9/15 just has so much more body to it than any other 2 el84 amp I've ever played. I don't know if that makes sense. I happen to like thick sounding amps. Everybody's taste is different. I think the london sounded good, but I could get an amp for a lot less money that could so similar things.

5. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

6. Distortion

Distortion Member

I have owned all three of the amps mentioned and have to agree. Comparing the London to the 9/15 is much more of an equal comparison because of the wattage. It is really not fair to compare the 33 to the London. For massive el84 tones it is hard to beat the 33..

7. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Sorry for not clarifyng, but I assumed you would understand I meant please compare the London to the 33 on it's half power setting (2xEL84). My mistake. Seeing as you've had both, any chance you could answer the specifics I asked above? If you still find a comparison unfair, that's fine.

To all: I don't have or intend to have the 9/15 so comments on that are less useful to me.

Thanks

Chris

PS I'll ammend the first post so as to be clear for others.

8. Distortion

Distortion Member

I have to make it clear up front that I much prefer a larger power amp vs a smaller one even if you are running them at the same volume.
    Because of this and other reasons I prefer the 33 over the London .. The 33 ( even in half power mode ) has much more punch, chime, and overall body. It also has considerably more clean headroom, and for my ears I liked the overdriven tones of the 33 a bit better.
    Chrissy, if you have a London on the way, I would be interested in your comparisons of these amps.
    The London is a great sounding amp, but the 33 is hands down my favorite.

9. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Thanks D,

It looks like I'll still have my 33 when the London arrives in about 2 weeks, so I'll be able to compare.

I'll report back!

Chris

10. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

I have played both, not side by side, but I could comfortably
    tell you to not get rid of the 33. That is my honest advice, I
    won't get into detail because if I nothing good to say, I will
    say nothing.

11. studio8000

studio8000 Member

i also have an ERT 33 head and cab, and a London amp on order (head and cab) so i will also be comparing the two. i'm very curious to try them side by side... and maybe do some stereo action too. keep us posted on when you get the london, i just ordered mine so you'll probably get yours before i do.

12. Distortion

Distortion Member

One thing that really wasn't brought up is the specific application you are using the amps for.
    One advantage the London would have over the 33 is the ability to get those nice overdriven tones at a lower volume. The London breaks up much earlier than the 33 so if you are looking for lower volumes you might be happy with the London.
    Owning a 33 you know the cleans at low volumes are very very nice, but in order to get that amazing grind you need to push the amp a bit.. But all of Fred's amps are like this..
    I would advise you to do a side by side comparison before letting the 33 go..

13. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

I've got nothing BUT good things to say about the London, as some of you know. You all do have me curious now (once again) to hear a D13 in action, especially the 9/15. Cheers.

14. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Looks like it'll be v. interesting comparing the two!

I like to get my cleans via the volume pot of the guitar/picking lightly, so I'm thinking the early breakup will be a feature I like.

In regard to my original questions I'm hoping the London will have a warm lead tone as the 33's click channel does not suit me and my style - it sounds too bright and hard for me, even when blended with the clean side as often recommende. I like that it cleans up so well, but it's just not my bag.

We'll see which one (if any) makes the grade. I have my EL34 base covered (Orange Retro 50), KT66 is a done deal (Germino Classic 45) and now I just need to get the EL84 corner done.

Chris

PS Can you tell I play Brit style pop??? ;)

15. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

I find that the lead tone on the Reverb channel of my ERT 33 suits me fine. Occasionally I'll blend in the Click for more bite, but the Reverb channel on 3:00 with the boost engaged is heavenly...big, fat, warm notes that sustain for days, hours, minutes...sometimes even seconds.

peace
    -jeff

16. studio8000

studio8000 Member

Chrissy...
    did you get your London yet? have you compared the ERT to the London?

17. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

studio8000,

guess what! the London got delivered this afternoon but I'm on the road until Sunday - damn!!!!

I'll be putting the London thru its paces on Monday for sure - can't wait!

Chris

18. patchesprescott

patchesprescott Supporting Member

Chrissy - i am very curious to hear your opinions on these beasts...

please let us know

19. patchesprescott

patchesprescott Supporting Member

soory - i mean chris

ha ha ;)

20. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    I'll take my London 65 over any Divided by 13 I have owned. Which includes the FTR 37 and the SJT 10/20. I'll also take it over the ERT 33 that I played at Lou V's. So I guess you would say I like the London's better. Doesn't really matter what everybody else thinks you need to try them for yourself.

Chuck