Anyone played the Orange Tiny Terror?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by p.snail, Jul 23, 2006.

1. p.snail

p.snail Member

I am super interested in this amp. Has anyone tried one yet? I didn't get to go to the NAMM Show this year because it was in Austin. My boss went and said it was really cool, but I just wanted some other opinions of it. I'm fixin to sell my Deville and thought this would be a great amp to replace it with. Smaller wattage so maybe better tone. I know they're being built in Asia, but so is the Vox AC30CC and everyone seems to be digging those (myself included).

2. p.snail

p.snail Member

No one? I hadn't really heard of it, until last month so maybe no one's seen it yet.

3. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

word is they probably aren't going to be available stateside til november :(

4. iMatt

iMatt Member

Just played one down my local dealer. Played it through a 4x12, sounded fantastic - surprising amount of gain on tap. :AOK Bought it and brought it home.:roll Can't play it though because I'm between cabs - waiting for a 1x10 from EarCandy having rather rashly sold a THD 2x12.:mad: Should be a great little stack though. :drool

ps Appologies for the gratuitous use of smileys but have my 5yr daughter sat next to me and shes the boss. Now, just one more ::eek: :crazy Ok two.

5. marshallnoise

marshallnoise Member

I brought this up for the sole purpose that I think your post is the only reason why I might want kids one day. :rotflmao

6. photios

photios Member

How long would it take you to put up some sound clips?

7. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

While I find the Tiny Terror to have a cool name,I'm a bit surprised that they didn't just call it the Tiny Tangerine...Okay,so I'm an idiot.

:crazy

Ed

8. gururyan

gururyan Member

Nah, I think they should have named it the....(drum roll).....

KUMQUAT

...get it? little orange?....:rolleyes:

9. hottub

hottub Member

LOL!

....or maybe Mandarin.....:crazy

10. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Anybody with a secret decoder ring know the US $ price on these , MSRP or otherwise ? :rolleyes:

11. ford

ford Supporting Member

www.humbuckermusic.com has them priced at $549. Plus it comes with a cute little carry bag....how cute...!!!

Rock

bford

12. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Not loud enough for me. This is what I need.

I'm kidding, of course. ;)[​IMG]

13. gururyan

gururyan Member

So how long do you think before either A) they offer a cabinet for the head B) a private builder offers a cabinet for the head C) they add a model which comes in a cabinet already.

14. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I know I'm on the list for one. And why do you need a wooden cabinet around an amp? If you're careful, the gear won't be harmed.
    I think I've found my new love...small, low watt amp heads and cabinets to mix and match.

15. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Orange has a new 1x12 cabinet to offer...Maybe thats for the tiny terror? I really like the look of that amp...Also, the thunderverb 200 looks freakin' awsome. Something tells me it wont be a big hit though...I really want a Orange TT...

16. somedude

somedude Member

It's not specifically for the TT.....it carries a 100w speaker rather than the 60w V30 that was in there before.

17. iMatt

iMatt Member

My EarCandy 1x10 isn't due yet, but i have now picked up another THD2x12 (to replace the one I foolishly sold) and have put the Tiny Terror through that. Been having a lot of fun with it. The single tone knob has a really useful range and I find myself moving it all over depending on which guitar I play and which pick up I use. I bought this mainly for the high gain sounds (which at home means preamp gain with master low) and am not disapointed. Surprisingly I also find I am enjoying the mid-gain sounds - though they don't sound quite so "natural" as the Univalve.

The people at orange tell me that switching from 15w to 7w lowers the plate voltage by 40%. There is a small but appreciable drop in volume, but I have not yet really noted much of a difference in tone or feel.

Some other snippets of info (there is not "manual") - the tubes are cathode biased so that changing is a straightforward matter of sticking in a matched pair. There are two 8ohm and one 16ohm outputs but you cannot drive two 8ohm cabs at once -either one 8ohm, or one 16ohm, or two 16ohm cabs pugged in the two 8ohm outputs. I got all this from Orange - they say they will put this imformation up on their website.

I paid £299 in the UK - to put that in context my replacement second hand THD 2x12 set me back £440. At the price the Tiny Terror is hard to resist - well obviously I couldn't - but though ts still early days bi think this is one impulse buy I won't regret (I even flirted with the idea of asking Tim at EarCandy to finish my 1x10 with Orange tolex!).

18. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

I just played through a Tiny Terror into an Orange 4x12 cab for about 20 minutes...used a Les Paul and an Prestige Ibanez...It likes the Les Paul better IMO.

It gets an A in my books...sounds really nice...crank it up (with the preamp only at 5)...AC/DC, Black Crowes, Led Zep...add more preamp gain, nice thick 80's tones...easily enough gain for rhythm playing, you may want to boost it a little for solos.

Great little recording amp...although it can go quite loud...it sounds really good at low volumes...and gets better and better as you turn it up (naturally)!

The half power switch worked really well too...overall compresses things but the tone stays quite tight in the low end, which surprised me.

Overall I'm really impressed. The padded soft case was also a nice touch. Orange did good with this one, definately check it out, nice bang for the buck...I'll be picking one up soon.