Anyone played the 'wrong' guitar for years?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by deejayen, Apr 6, 2020.

1. deejayen

deejayen Member

I don't really have the opportunity to try out loads of guitars, and I tend to stick with what I have, and I probably adapt my playing to how my guitar plays and sounds.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone has spent half a lifetime playing a certain style of guitar, then found out that a completely different type of guitar was a better fit...

2. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

I’m beginning to think it was wrong of me to play the guitar at all. ;)

3. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

I just got through putting humbuckers in bridge of all my Strats. After trying it on one as an experiment I realized that was the sound I was never able to get out of a bridge SC.

jou ma, k tone, modavis99 and 6 others like this.
  4. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Oh yeah, I hear about it all the time.

Country with a Les Paul or SG
    Rock with a Tele
    Jazz with a Jaguar
    Metal with a Fender amp...

fretless, e???, JMP99 and 3 others like this.
  5. WordMan

WordMan Silver Supporting Member

Oh sure - absolutely!!

- Electrics: I grew up in the EVH era. So, moving from heavy 70’s guitars to frankensteins with locking whammy’s, wide-flat necks, no tone control, etc. I didn’t find “my” guitar until I got into Tele’s twenty years in. Couldn’t be more different - big neck, you *must* operate the Volume and Tone controls, no whammy, etc.

- Acoustics: the first great acoustic I got was a Taylor. The bright, modern tone profile and skinny neck worked based on what I knew. As my playing progressed, I ended trying a mahogany J-45 at some point and never looked back. The plain mahogany thump was so much more in line with my playing and tonal needs.

So yeah - decades. You learn and grow.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    e???, Bopcat, Steve Hotra and 2 others like this.
  6. Brian N

Brian N Member

Played a strat for 7 years or so; and a strat with vintage frets at that. I still really like the way a strat plays, but I found the SG plays just as well, and sounds about 100 times better.

7. HomeInMyShoes

HomeInMyShoes Member

I would hazard a guess that the yes answer is more probable than the no answer for me. I've had two electrics in my lifetime and the one I'm using has been with me almost twenty-two years. I am pretty certain that I could find a guitar better suited to me. I play. I enjoy the guitar and it serves me well. I sometimes think about a different guitar, but I have other things more important and necessary to spend time and money on.

I am an exceedingly practical and boring individual many days.

BobbyRay and Uncle Bob like this.
  8. drew365

drew365 Member

I find that I'm constantly evolving and what was perfect for me a year ago is suddenly suspect. So I've learned to never say never. My current #1 sat in it's case for a couple of years before I discovered it!

9. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

For several years I played a Strat only because my only other guitar was a LP Studio and the Strat was new and different. Looking back, a SSS guitar was not right for the music and band but I still made it work. I should have at least changed the bridge to a humbucker. A SSS Strat through a Dual Rectifier playing heavy rock seems silly now!

RG7X and monty like this.
  10. bluejaybill

bluejaybill Supporting Member

I bought a '68 Les Paul Custom and used that for about 12 years professional, then I found a nice old strat and ES345, and they were it for a long time. Now I'm sort of a telecaster type, for the last ten years or so. Still have the strat and a reissue Les Paul for when the mood strikes.

The Martin acoustics haven't changed for along time however.

LPTyler likes this.
  11. monty

monty Member

Yep, I was a Strat guy for 20 years (most of my heroes growing up played them) and was pretty stubborn about it. Found my perfect Strat then started straying around a bit. Years ago after getting fed up with the trem tried a guitar with a Floyd, fell in love with the specs and the deal was done. I may not be a shredder per se, but I love the specs on a fast playing guitar.

CanuckChris, StummerJoe and RG7X like this.
  12. deejayen

deejayen Member

Thanks. It sounds like I might not be the only one! However, I haven't discovered if there's anything 'better' than what I have.

My first main electric was a Roland Strat - ash body, maple neck, 7.25" radius, small frets. I think that was really nice, but apparently the neck was twisted in different directions on the bass and treble sides, and when the frets wore out I decided to splash out on...

A custom Tele. However, I'd not played a Tele, so thought I'd order a Strat was well in case the Tele didn't work out. In the end, neither worked out - they over-ran the quoted delivery time by 5+ years, and in the meantime I'd been given a...

Yamaha Mike Stern Tele - ash body, maple neck, 7.25" radius, smallish frets, unfinished neck. Seymour Duncan '59 humbucker in the neck, and a Hot Rails in the bridge. I'm still playing this, and it's probably not ideal, but...

A few years ago I bought a Gibson Music City - pretty much Gibson's take on a Tele, with ash body, maple neck, P90's and a B-bender. The 12" radius, wider string spacing, shorter scale length and larger frets took more getting used to than I'd imagined. It can sound great, but it is raw, and I think it might sound better playing crunchy stuff with attitude.

I play mainly clean country - old-style pedal-steel bends, and some Chet Atkins melodic stuff. I'm never going to be a 'hot' player!

Guitars are funny things anyhow - they can sound and feel different from day to day, and they might need a different setup etc. Sometimes they sound great, other times not so much. The Teles can be quite revealing, which I don't mind, but I wonder if there's another guitar out there which would play great and give my playing a little boost! I don't know...something like a Gretsch Billy Bo, or a Reverse Firebird, or a Rickenbacker, or a Strat, or one of those new Lowden electrics, or a Strandberg...or...!

WordMan likes this.
  13. RRfireblade

RRfireblade Member

Unfortunately no, I've played so many different guitars I don't even know what my type is. :)

SweetClyde99, WornFrets and Jutaika like this.
  14. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

That’s what I realize every time I hear my playing.

PBGas, HomeInMyShoes and 70 Mach 1 like this.
  15. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

The problem i had is i bought a certain guitar only because its what my heros played.
    Same for amps and pedals

Aftet reevaluating all my mistakes i am way more selective now with what i want.

16. fishlog

fishlog Member

Beginning to think the SG might be "my" guitar 25 years into playing.

This goes even after owning a couple through the years. But I would also have to say taste and situations do change so it might just be part of who I play evolving.

dankingjr and billboneys like this.
  17. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

Any guitar works for me , don't require a specific type. Only had one guitar for a couple decades and I pretty much keep everything I buy forever. Have a bunch now and I was shredding on my 335 yesterday , played a million notes over a simple loop for about 15 minutes and enjoyed myself a lot.

18. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Unfluencer Gold Supporting Member

That’s why I always make sure to own at least one of each.

drew365 and Jutaika like this.
  19. fingertip

fingertip Silver Supporting Member

I bought pedals in an effort to get some magic out of my Peavy Backstage Plus. Out of that period I bought a Laney 50 watt tube amp all the while taking lessons from a Berklee guy. Now I have a PRRI and things are making sense and I have time for TGP "playing technique" forum.
    But I did have the right guitar the whole time - Hamer FM Special.

20. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Yeah, I always knew I wanted to play a Les Paul, but could never afford one growing up. Took me about 15 years of playing before I got my hands on one, and when I did it felt like coming home. Since then it's all Les Paul.

In terms of learning and playing, I don't think there's such thing as a "wrong" guitar. Your fingers will adapt pretty well. I absolutely hate playing Strats, but yet I have initially learnt on a Squier Strat for the first 4 years of playing... so it's not like anything will impede your skill. It's more just that when you do find the right fit for you, it can inspire you to play more and spend more time with it - setting a good mood to create new music.

Windup 43 and LeftyGtrPlr like this.