Anyone played through a Red Iron amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by blues revenge, Jul 6, 2008.

1. blues revenge

blues revenge Member

I think I might be interested in the T-Rex-whats your opinion? He uses a different preamp tube SL6 or something? Why would he use this when everybody else uses Ax7s?

experience please. They are really cool looking and I wondered about them and if I would like it. So any descriptions etc are welcome

2. DøøG

DøøG Member

Do a search for all that stuff here, Red Iron, 6SL7 tubes, you'll find some answers. They were at the last ampshow here in NJ (Red Iron), a lot of guys dug em. Difference between the octal tubes and pentode, triode? So in order, 6SL7GT (or 6SN7, lower gain tube in the Connie), EF86 and 12ax7? Generally the octal and pentode tubes are a bit fatter than a 12ax7, extended mids and a round bass. The Connie uses the 6SN7 in it's clean side, fat n chimey, IIRC. I played thru a Red Iron Trex at the ampshow, a lot like a trainwreck....cool amp...

Good Luck!

3. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I own a T-rex. It is one of the early ones with NOS 6CA7's in the power section. I also built an Express clone based on "Francesca". The T-rex is thicker in the bass and lower mids, and has no negative feedback, so it is much less piercing. It also is cathode biased closer to class A, so it is much softer than my "Express" which is class AB fixed bias and hence, about 45 watts, but it is still a pretty loud 35 watts. It has slightly less gain than an Express, but it blooms easier and has more harmonic richness going on. (Mind you, my Express is a clone and not the real thing, but some who have played through the real deal say my amp is very close). The amp is very touch sensitive and sounds like an old tweed on steroids. I love the sound.

4. cleansed leper

cleansed leper Member

Regarding "Why not use 12ax7s like everyone else?" I like to characterize it this way. If you're trying for a distinctive sonic signature you have to do things differently.

5. gearitis

gearitis Gold Supporting Member

I've never played through a T-Rex, but if has the same kind of magic going on as the Mil-Spec, I want one! Below is a copy of an email that I recently sent to Paul regarding the Mil-Spec.

Hey Paul,

I just wanted to let you know how much I am digging the Mil-Spec. It sure is one special amp! I love the cleans, and the bit of crunch that I can get just by using the volume knob on my guitar or by varying my pick attack is fantastic. With a boost pedal it is just sick. It is one of those special amps that is a finely tuned musical instrument in its own right. There is a connection between my hands, my guitar and the Mil-Spec that I don't believe I've ever experienced before.

6. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Hey guys- help a brother out, here: Any clips of these Red Iron amps around? The ones on the website sound great- but the manufacturer's website clips always sound great.

Has anyone ever started a thread- poll or otherwise- about who makes the best Wreck clone? Inquiring minds want to know.

7. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

I'm waiting to join that club....T-Rex a comin!

8. blues junkie

blues junkie Supporting Member

I'm on that list T-Rex & 112 Cab :banana

9. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

PM the price of the 1x12 cab please!

10. gainfreak

gainfreak Member

I had the pleasure of playing the T-rex amp and it was one of the best sounding / feeling amps that I have ever played. Its an Extremely musical amp that is touch sensitive and has tone for Days.

Paul ROCKS and so does his amplifiers!!!

~Ralph~

11. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Add two more to the list, studiodunn and me.....:RoCkIn
    [​IMG]

12. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

I talked to Paul this morning. My Mil Spec is on the bench! And it does have a military spec power transformer. I'm psyched!

13. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

My Red Iron Bronx amp #01 is Red Sonja.
    She has been soaking up the sun on the left coast, hanging out at night in the studio with the very talented AndyZ. Andy has been using her on some demos, and has posted new clips on Pauls website.
    Andy's a great picker and the clips should be very representative of the girth and range of tones available from this amp with nothing but a guitar, a cable, and a cab.
    She will be back on LI later this month and I may send her down to the Tampa ToneFest in August so our southern brethren can check her out. She is my first amp with 6550's. A totally different thing than any other amp I own.
    New Clips here:
    http://www.redironamps.com/
    Go to Amps- Bronx

14. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Man, I've been listening to those clips over and over. These amps sound great. For you guys that own them, do the Red Iron's get that "almost out of control" gain that Wrecks/clones are known for, or is this amp more controllable? My guess from the clips is that they are more controllable- somewhere between the raunchy thick gain of a Wreck and the smoothness of an Alessandro. Is this accurate or am I off base?

15. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Very good description, except I really don't see much 'Wreck or Alessandro DNA in these amps. The appeal was that they are really coming from a different place sonically, response-wise, and in terms of circuitry choices. Very refreshing to see new and different approaches rather than just another spin on the same old thing.....

16. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Definately one of my fav builders these days, and a good friend too.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  17. trisonic

trisonic Member

Baz,
    Gotta say that the TRex definitely has some 'wreck DNA to my ears. More controllable, more articulate than an Express, I'd say.
    Need to spend some time with jeff's when received to ensure my memory correct.....

Best, Pete

18. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

You guys are really building up my anticipation - I am on the waiting list for a T-Rex, but probably have another month or so before it will be ready.

For those of you who got a Red Iron recently - how long did it take for Paul to complete the amp once it hit the bench?

- Chris

19. mmorse

mmorse Member

I heard Fusionbear's T-Rex and his Wreck clone at the TM Hang. I think his description of the T-Rex is right on target. To me it sounded very much like his Wreck, just a little darker overall with a tad less gain. In fact, I thought his 2 amps were the best sounding amps at the Hang. And plenty LOUD!!! :AOK

20. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

I guess I'll be the dissenting voice in comparing Red Iron amps to 'Wrecks.
    I think as soon as you see Paul's hardwood smallbox cabs it conjures up that assocation.
    I just don't hear a tonal connection. Touch response yes. Much more controllable and civilized. Perhaps more compressed. .
    For the record, I have played a number of real Wrecks, several of them Expresses.
    I don't want the uninitiated to think the T-Rex is jiust another wreck clone.