Anyone playing a newer Gretsch guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mikeo, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Mikeo

Mikeo Guest

Like a 6120, TN Rose , or a Duo Jet

Fender is making so many different models and the prices are very steep for a MIJ guitar. Are there USA made models?
    I like the feel of the necks and the vibe of their guitars.
    Whivh pup to choose too?

Are they worth the $$$, I'll assume the resale value is pretty bad

2. photoguy

photoguy Member

I have a Tenn Rose and Duo Jet, both of which sound and feel great to me. The DJ is a '57 re-issue with Dynasonic p'ups and the Tenn Rose is a pre-Fender with TV Jones Filtertrons. I like to play around with Beatles music and these two guitars cover a lot of early sounds.

Here's a great discussion group for all things Gretsch, including some dealers that offer some pretty aggressive pricing:

http://www.gretschpages.com/

3. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

Gretsch is going through a new Golden Age right now . . . the new Fender supported Japan models are more consistently good than Vintage pre-baldwin Guitars . . . So I hear . . .

I have been jonesing for for one for the past year and half . . . but since I keep getting expensive parking/speeding tickets and the kid and wife and a relatively uncertain teaching career (adjuncting at the moment) I went ahead and spent what was left of my 'guitar account' -after charity- on a MIM Tele from a Pawn shop . . . .

only to be sorely dissapointed and still dreaming about a Gretsch . . .

Go into a store and play one . . . play a decent model, the 6120RHH is awesome, or 6120DC -Double Cut . . . . they feel like gold and sound . . . well, they sound like Gretschs . . . but also quite versatile . . .

Also, the 6120 -junior - known as the Roundabout- is an absolutely amazing beast . . . it isn't just the 'junior' is has a power and sound and feel that is surprising for something billed as 'the smaller version' . . . give em a try . . .

and if you can afford one . . . then I am more that a bit of insanely jealous!!!

(BTW: I hear nothing but great things about the Electromatic Hollow bodies too . . . Though if you play them at CG they will most likely be out of tune and set up badly and you might get the wrong impression)

4. Antero

Antero Member

I wouldn't fret about a Made-In-Japan mark - that hasn't been an issue for years, since my countrymen are just as industrial and corporate as America and far more obsessive-compulsive. ;)

5. Gary Shetler

Gary Shetler Guest

Mikeo ...

Don't let the Made in Japan thing throw you. They are very well built, high quality guitars.

I just bought a 6118 Anniversary model from Indoor Storm and the workmanship is outstanding. The neck, fretboard and frets are finished to perfection, and the guitar is just a joy to play!

[​IMG]

:dude

6. drolling

drolling Member

Outstanding guitars. The MIK Electromatic hollowbodies blow away all the recent attempts by companies like Epiphone & DeArmond to produce budget guitars with 'that great Gretsch sound'. I'd always balked at paying those kind of prices for an MIJ guitar, but after owning an Electro for a while, I just had to step up to a pro series model.

The 120th Anniversary model I ended up with comes from the factory with TV Jones Classics, the best humbucking pickups I've ever used. The Electro still sees a lot of use, tho', because those US made single coil pickups also sound really great.

For some reason, there seems to be many 'B' stock Gretsches for sale. These guitars apparently have small cosmetic issues and are hundreds of dollars cheaper.

Fender has done a really good job turning this company around and I'm pretty sure that my next guitar will be another Gretsch.

7. mainsale

mainsale Member

Just got a Nashville Jr. and I'm very impressed with it. Build quality is flawless and it sounds great, now that I've figured out how the controls work. I'd recommend one to anyone.

8. forestryguy

forestryguy Member

Like drolling, I got the 120 Annie (the bamboo yellow/copper one). Sounds and plays wonderful. My only complaint is that the tuning is somewhat unstable when bending strings or using the Bigsby. This was helped with a professional setup.

9. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

OK y'all

now you went ahead and made me:

more than a bit of insanely jealous!!!

10. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

First, thank you 'photoguy' for posting the link to the Gretsch Discussion Page. There are many, MANY helpful people there who are experts on this definitely unique and occasionally quirky beast. Go hang there for a bit, ask questions, and get the general sense.

I own two modern MIJ Gretsch guitars, the 6114 New Jet (a real sleeper) and the 6120 Setzer. They are each easily the equivalent of USA made guitars by Fedner and/or Gisbon.

I have heard nothing but kind things about "new" Gretsches since Fender took over distribution and marketing about two years ago. The pre-Fender ones weren't bad quality or anything, but customer service was indifferent when Gretsch was independent.

The main thing I'd be looking for on any modern Gretsch is to be sure you get alnico pickups. Beyond that - you'll know it when it hits you. That grainy, stringy dry tone (and I say that with love) is unique!

= K

11. drolling

drolling Member

Hey! Nice color scheme, hunh? Guy who sold it to me said customers refer to it as "edible" looking (I assume he was referring to the top, metallic copperflake doesn't exactly make my mouth water)

About the tuning stability. What gauge strings are you using? Guitar ships with D'Addario 11s, but I tried 10s just for fun and the thing was untuneable. Little graphite in the nut slots helps, too.

12. forestryguy

forestryguy Member

I have stayed with the stock gauge strings, considering going up to 12's (which I use on most acoustics). The nut was cut right and not binding, but a little lube job never hurt! So far I have rejected advice I got on the above-mentioned Gretsch Forum to surgically pin the roller bridge, replace it outright with Adjustomatic and/or upgrade the tuners. I may upgrade the tuning pegs if it doesn't require drilling new holes. So far, I have just tried to alter my playing style to avoid large bends on strings 3 & 4.
    I have been shopping for a Duo Jet as my next one, but those Tiger Maple Amber Nashvilles are very tempting!