Anyone Playing an Allen Encore?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rhollyday, Aug 9, 2008.

1. rhollyday

rhollyday Silver Supporting Member

I wanted to know what you thoughts are on this amp with 6v6 tubes?

How are the clean to semi dirty sounds with single coils and an es-335?

How is the trem

how is the MV?

I am also curious how it stacks up to some of the other popular fender-like amps such as the Tone Kings, Carr Rambler, Blackbird etc?

Thanks

2. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Yup. 6V6s are nice in this amp, especially since I have the lower power OT. Sounds a lot like you'd expect a good BF Fender to sound.
    Bias trem can make a bit of distortion. Its available depth increases with the master down a notch or so from max. Trem speed has more range than Rambler.
    Raw control is great. Subtle usage fattens up the amp nicely for single coils. Maxed out the amp gets fat and distorts easily.
    MV is OK, for a MV. I'm not a big fan of MV, prefer attenuators.

3. rhollyday

4. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

Great amp whether you have 6L6s or 6V6s in it. Great basic tone. Great reverb. The trem is probably the best I've ever heard. The master actually works very well for a vintage-type amp.

Never tried a 335 with it, but there are really at least five or six overdriven/distorted tones that can be had out of it:

(1) master wide open, volume up past 4 or so, "standard" blackface EQ settings.
    (2) same but with the master down and the volume up
    (3) either with the mids and treble maxed out and bass killed
    (4) raw with pre-amp overdrive
    (5) raw with power-amp overdrive
    (6) raw mixed in to some degree

No matter which way you crank the amp, the bass will get muddy/flubby at some point unless you dial the bass down with the EQ. Just like a "real" blackface. In between, it is "fat". So if you're looking for a real "chugga chugga", this amp probably isn't the way to go. That said, if you use it with some sort of distortion pedal that has pronounced bass, it can hold together just fine.

I easily prefer the Encore over the Blackbird, although I had the older blackbird (the newer ones have a bright switch and different reverb that are probably move it closer to the Allen's tones). I only briefly played a Tone King, and it was very nice, but didn't have nearly as many features.

5. rhollyday

Thanks for your detailed description. I had a tone King Metior II. While it was a really nice amp, It felt a little "stiff" for my purposes.