Anyone playing gigs with a Line 6 AMPLIFi FX100 or 75/150?

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
I'm considering getting a backup, and sometimes main, small rig. I'm playing in two bands now. First band is all guitar with Helix. The second band (Irish band) I'm playing electric mandolin, keyboards, and saxophone. Bringing the Helix for the second band might be... well is overkill for the electric mandolin. It sounds really great, but I don't need all the flexibility. I just need some nice clean tones and effects with a volume pedal. Big plus also for a small second rig is being able leave it at the second band's practice spot.

My first thought is the Line 6 AMPLIFi FX100 based on price, the bluetooth playback feature, and the built in volume pedal. But, I'm open to other suggestions.

So, is it gig worthy? Yeah or nay?

Edit title to include 75 and 150 amp

Last edited:

tjontheroad

The silence is screaming lol :)

I decided to pick up an AMPLIFi 150 instead with a FBV foot switch. No, it's not a Firehawk 1500, but it only weighs 35lbs and cost less than half the cash. All I need now is DI box for running the headphone out to FOH.

lilwisper

Instead of the Amplifi FX may I suggest the Firehawk FX? You could use the more dedicated outputs (1/4 or XLR) to FOH instead of relying on the headphone out.

tjontheroad

Instead of the Amplifi FX may I suggest the Firehawk FX? You could use the more dedicated outputs (1/4 or XLR) to FOH instead of relying on the headphone out.
I thought of/considered that. This would mostly be for smaller venues at lower volumes where a FOH send isn't always required. Just the amp itself will do at these gigs. The DI box would only be used sparingly as needed. I was looking to the smaller footprint as also being attractive. The board needs to fit underneath my keyboard. That's partly why I'm now going with the AMPLIFi 150 with the FBV foot pedal. I'll be able to fit that and two keyboard pedals side-by-side.

danielsale

I have one, but don't gig with it. Probably wouldn't think twice about doing so, though.

I can't figure out why it has stereo settings that come out of the speakers mono. But that's another topic entirely.

rsm

I have an AMPLIFi FX100. I have not used it in awhile, but I recall it would often make a loud noise if I switched patches with any signal from the guitar. I think the Firehawk is a better option for live use though I'd have to go Helix even though it's overkill for my modest needs if I wanted Line6.

I have a Boss GT-100 which I really dig, enough that I also purchased a GT-001. You get most of what's in the GT-100 in the GT-001 and a few extras that aren't in the GT-100. I've used a Roland expression pedal with my GT-001. The GT-001 is $200 less than the GT-100, though not designed for the floor, if you can deal with patch mode playing and four patches are enough, you can switch patches with your foot...it's worth a look. IMO.

tjontheroad

Thanks for the replies. I ordered the AMPLIFi 150 instead on the floorboard FX100 and should have it next week. I spent a little more but also get the amp with it.

Reactions: rsm

Blahfingers

Thanks for the replies. I ordered the AMPLIFi 150 instead on the floorboard FX100 and should have it next week. I spent a little more but also get the amp with it.

I have the Amplifi 150. Most of the inbuilt tones are terrible (as are most of the downloadable ones people have created for them!). Just make sure to play around for yourself to create ones you like.

Also make sure you have the latest firmware installed which fixed a lots of bugs and added features people asked for. I use mine as a practice amp but I'm quite happy with how flexible it can be. I'm sure it'd be good live. To be on the safe side, upload your main tones to the amp itself so they'll work if you have a problem connecting between the app and and amp in a live situation.

rsm

I'm interested in hearing about your experience with the AMPLIFi 150. This thread has me thinking about giving my FX100 a software update and another go!

Cheers! :beer

tjontheroad

I have the Amplifi 150. Most of the inbuilt tones are terrible (as are most of the downloadable ones people have created for them!). Just make sure to play around for yourself to create ones you like.

Also make sure you have the latest firmware installed which fixed a lots of bugs and added features people asked for. I use mine as a practice amp but I'm quite happy with how flexible it can be. I'm sure it'd be good live. To be on the safe side, upload your main tones to the amp itself so they'll work if you have a problem connecting between the app and and amp in a live situation.
You mean presets suck? ;)

Agreed, I would certainly not want to be tweeking tones via Bluetooth in a live cell phone rich environment. I can envision lots of connection issues.

tjontheroad

I'm interested in hearing about your experience with the AMPLIFi 150. This thread has me thinking about giving my FX100 a software update and another go!

Cheers! :beer
The 150 came in yesterday. 1st impression is good. The amp has a punchy character. It can get pretty loud. Plenty volume for what I'm looking for. The tones are better than I was expecting. No where near as great as my Helix, but certainly usable. Some tweeking should get decent results.

The Bluetooth connection is dicey. I read about past issues with Bluetooth and the AMPLIFi app that were supposed to be resolved. But it would not connect/sync to the app with my iPad. It would only playback music/media. I did get it to work with my Andriod phone after a few attempts. So, the verdict is still out on this.

I should get to out to a rehearsal this week and really see what's what then.

Reactions: rsm

Trending Topics