Anyone playing the Reverend Buckshot?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I ask because I'm deep into a Reverend love phase. So much so, I'm considering selling off BOTH of my Tele's to get another Rev (and bring more cash flow into the house) :puh
    I really dug the Revtrons in the flatroc, but this little bugger seems like it might be a Tele killer AND give me access to a Revtron tone as well:
    http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/guitars/bolt_on_series/buckshot.html
    My one concern would be replicating the Tele twang without using a standard ashtray bridge. But, I played a James Burton Tele for years that had a hardtail bridge and I was still able to get convincing Tele tones out of it... not nearly as good as my G&L Bluesboy or MIJ Partscaster Tele w/ Barden bridge, but it was solid. I'm not a super hardcore Tele guy anyway. Chime in about the buckshot though!
    :RoCkIn

2. Gasp100

Wow, NO RESPONSES??? I KNOW people are playing these things "in the field". I'm sold on the Reverend's, I'm sold on the revtron pups, just wondering about personal experience actually playing as Buckshot and using the Tele bridge pup with the stop tail piece. Anyone?

3. sqadan

sqadan Member

I really want a Reverend... BADLY - the only newer brand other than G&L that really attracts my attention. I'm really GASsing for a Roundhouse 290 though.

4. reed

reed Member

I have a buckshot. can't compare it to the others, but can tell you that I've grown to really like in just a couple of months. unique sound, really flexible. some tele twang but still something completely its own. I can't imagine doing better for 500 flat.

One note -- pretty sure mine is one of the chambered mahogany runs -- I think the new ones are korina. supposed to sound similar...

5. Gasp100

Yep, those are my 2 "very slightly left of center - ie., not Fender" choices. The USA versions are even better than the overseas, but each is nice in it's own right.
    Oddly enough I played a Roundhouse 290 at my local shop and if I didn't have an aversion to Gibson LP/SG style bodies I would have bought it. Small, snappy, great clean and with OD. Nice guitar for the price.

6. tcforec

tcforec Member

I walked into my local shop yesterday and the guy had literally just put a like-new burst, hollow mahogany buckshot up on the counter with a card in the strings that said "$300"....didn't take me long to reach in my pocket. Threw in a killer gig bag and then sold me a brand new, slightly (and I mean slightly) damaged G&L hardshell case for another $20. I felt pretty damned good about the deal. Thing plays great (especially after I put 10's back on it and jacked the action).

7. Gasp100

OMG!!! Why doesn't this happen to me!!! :eek:

8. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

im looking for a p90 guitar to finish or my arsenal... I'm thinking about a daredevil p90... I'm bummed I passed on that heritage 137 that was in the emporium... anyhow, there is a store that is semi near that is actually a reverend dealer.. I may stop out soon and try some..

9. ford

ford Staff Member Supporting Member

I wish these were alder......just for a touch more of that tele bite... I think all of thier models are korina now... which is a good wood for sure.

rock

bford

10. strattitude

strattitude Member

I also wish they were alder or ash. Then I'd have it instantly!
    My JS390 is a bit too dark sounding...

11. Gasp100

it's weird, although I own 2 Tele's (both in the Emporium right now) I don't really play country or super twangy stuff. Both of them give great tones for any type of music. I'd have to give the nod to the Bluesboy for being more versatile because it handles OD a little better/smoother in the bridge than the more traditional sounding Tele partscaster with '52RI pups (as expected). So, if I were to keep the Tele partscaster, I'd probably swap out the bridge pup with something slightly more modern - the neck pup is a keeper for sure. Even though the Seth Lover in the neck of my Bluesboy is amazing with OD and a jazz lover's delight clean, it's still just a tad muffled for my tastes.
    So, the Buckshot intrigues me because of the hotter/more midrange/more modern (or so I've been told) bridge pup and the Revtron in the neck. I do hear differences in guitars made out of ash, alder, korina, mahogany I seem to dig the differences all of the same.
    I'm close - if someone buys my gear in the emporium I'm there :crazy

12. tcforec

tcforec Member

13. Gasp100

That's the one I want too - damn you :dude

14. ford

ford Staff Member Supporting Member

Man.... I'm going to buy my son a used Reverend if they keep popping up for 300 bones!!!!!!!!!!1

rock

bford

15. tcforec

tcforec Member

Darren has some good deals come through his shop and is very good to deal with on parts and tubes and such. However, this guitar was his buddy's and I walked in within the hour of it being out for sale. Lots of inquiries. My first Reverend and it sounded great through the old '66 Deluxe reverb. Cranking it through the old Matchless sc30 tonight!! Can't say enough about it.

16. Gasp100

I think your boy Darren is selling a Gold Top Charger 290 for $350!!!
    That is the OTHER Reverend I wanted, but I went for the bigtime with a USA reverend SSC (3P90's...). I couldn't possibly grab another P90 guitar right now, although the price is definitely right.
    Tell him to let me know the next time he gets more Reverends in :dude

17. TNO

TNO Member

I snagged that Charger 290 from Darren yesterday. It's heavier than I thought it would be but the guitar sounds and feels so solid I think I can deal with the weight :)

18. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

who in the heck is darren?:confused:

19. Galapogos17

Galapogos17 Gold Supporting Member

I have both a US Slingshot and a first run prototype alder Charger 290. I can tell you that each guitar has it's own sound. The middle position on the Charger 290 is my favorite sound out of any guitar I own. It has great clarity and chime to it. It has more midrange and less of an airy sound compared to the Slingshot. It still has great sustain. I think the Charger is really one of the most underrated Reverends. It really doesn't get talked about much, but it's a great guitar.

The quality of the imports is just as good as the US models. However the US models do have a whole different vibe going on.

20. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I have a brand new Buckshot incoming :hide

I'm looking to it mainly as a backup to my Epi Riv w/Bigsby....wow, I have gone "all Korean" on my guitars (for the moment anyway), never thought that would happen :crazy