Anyone prefer .047 cap w/ Les Paul ...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Phil Harmoneeek, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Phil Harmoneeek

Phil Harmoneeek Member

I know the status quo is .022 but I tend to like the "not as thick" .047 as I seem to like the way it acts on the mids. I'm talkin' when the volume is full & the tone is full ... even with everything up, the cap imparts a change to the tone ... plenty of differences with different style/kind/brands as well, what do you think?

Thanks Randall

2. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

.015uf for neck, .022 bridge.

Jack

3. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

.015 neck, .033 bridge here.

4. Phil Harmoneeek

Phil Harmoneeek Member

Why .015 for neck ... doesn't that in fact make an even bassier/muddier tone?

Thanks Randall

5. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

It sounds like you have it backwards. Bigger cap = more highs bleed to ground (even with pot on 10) = less treble = thicker percieved tone. That's why many folks like a smaller (.01uF or .015uF) cap on the neck p'up...so it's brighter/more sparkly. And some like the bigger cap on the bridge p'up so it's not so bright and might balance better with the neck.

6. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I never really experimented with caps. Most everyone always says that the cap doesn't make a difference if everything's full up on the guitar. But you think it still changes the tone?

7. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

.010uf neck & .033uf bridge is goodness for buckers.

8. Redfish

Redfish Member

I use .015 on the neck and .033 on the bridge. .022 on the bridge is just a little too bright when the tone knob is on 10 for me with my current guitar. I want the whole range of the tone knob to be usable. I find every guitar and every pickup combination to like different caps. I can even tell a difference between different caps of the same value. Hovlands in particular sound totally different to my ears than other PIO's.

9. go7

go7 Member

Hovland .01 neck ,022 bridge. Never play with volume and tone max`d to 10. rolling tone and volume is where the tone lives.

10. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I have some humbucker-sized P90s in my LP. 500k pots all around with a .047 in the bridge, .022 neck. Not muddy sounding at all! In fact, it might be the best setup I've ever had in this guitar!

11. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

what should voltages be, or i should ask how the V rating effects the cap?

12. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

The cap does make a difference even when the pot is on 10. Disconnect your tone control and you should definitely hear a difference from when the tone control was connected and on 10. The difference between a .047uF cap and .022uF cap won't be that dramatic when the pot is on 10...but there is a difference.

I like to have a little extra on tap so I like my guitars to be just a little too bright with the tone control on 10.

13. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

Voltage anyone?

14. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

Amps need 400v or greater. I think on guitar, you can get away with 25v, (maybe even less). I am not 100% sure on what is required for guitar, but I don't think you need much.

Jack

15. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

About any cap you can find will work in a guitar circuit. You're dealing with millivolt output levels.

16. Phil Harmoneeek

Phil Harmoneeek Member

Thanks for the posts & info guys ... it must be the particular caps I'm using/eperimenting with. I just don't like the .022 as much as the .047 & I don't recognize the .022 as being brighter at all, just different mids, anyways it's all about experimentation right?

Thanks Randall

17. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

My Hamer Sunburst has a .015uf cap for a master tone control. I've been meaning to try wiring a Les Paul up that way, and just eliminate the one tone control. Put the one tone control between the switch, and the jack.

On the Hamer (out of phase DiMarzio PAFs) it works exceptionally well. But there're a lot of factors at work in that guitar, so I have no idea if things would work as well in a Les Paul. And for all I know, only using one tone control might be more important than the cap size.

I don't think I have any .015uf caps though, and I'm not in the mood for combining caps right now. My usual sources don't have .015uf caps, so I've been pretty slow about trying this. Might just try it with a .020 cap.

18. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

What you're hearing is the frequency the .022µF cap sends to ground which is higher up in the midrange (sort of in that "honk" range) than the .047µF cap. The .047µF cap pulls out the treble at a lower frequency, more into the upper bass range.

You could try a .033µF cap which doesn't go quite as deep. Another suggestion might be to get a push/pull pot and wire a .047 and maybe a .015 cap so that you can either take off just the top edge as you roll the tone off or deeper with the .047.

19. DynoDrv

DynoDrv Member

WOW! I had .015uf and .022 neck/bridge and that didn't cut it for me. Feeling like there was something in my stash that would sound good, I pulled out my clip leads and started swapping caps in real time to hear the difference. It's when I started testing these late '50's/early '60s' paper dielectric caps in .047 that I was blown away how they made my '98 R7 sound. That singing sustain, without any harsh overtones, but still plenty of treble when on 10. Yes they all definitely effect the sound with 300-500k ohms in series to ground, subtle, but change none the less. Now it sounds like I just put in a set of original PAF's!!! Who knew???

Oh, and new .047 film caps didn't come close to doing this same thing, I tried.:dunno

YMMV....Until they open a guitar tone lab at MIT... I guess the mystery of what makes Les Pauls from the late fifties sound so good will just remain a mystery.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011