Anyone prefer 10s to 12s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rotten, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

2. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I prefer 'em because I get a tighter, more articulate sound out of 'em. -E

3. bosstone

bosstone Member

I don't know if I prefer 10" to 12" speakers but I did sell my Hiwatt 4 X 12" cab with Rola Celestion G12-65s and switched to a Marshall 4 X 10" 1965B cab because it had a great sound with tons of harmonics and two of these 4 X 10" cabs are easier to handle than one 4 X 12" cab. I haven't missed the larger cab. I still use single 12" combo amps and I also use a single 12" detuned cab as well but I love these 4 X 10" cabs and end up plugging them in to the combos a lot.

4. Uncle Pat

Uncle Pat Member

I was always happy with some quality 12's and didn't really get hip to 10's until I acquired a 3x10 Vibro King. What a revelation...that amp made a believer out of me.
    Since then, two more amp grabs have had 10's, and I recently sold my last remaining 1x12 cab to get a 2x10 box to use with my Z-28.
    My biggest gripe with the 1x12 was the laser beam effect. I didn't care for what a Beam Blocker did to my sound, so the 2-10's was an easy choice.

5. erplander

erplander Member

I've loved the sound of four 10s since my first amp, an Ampeg VT-40. Loved the tight sound of that amp, and I think the four 10s was a big reason. Same with the Super Reverb, which is my main amp now.

I've just got a Bassman head, and I was thinking of getting a 2 x 12 cabinet for it, but this thread has got me wondering if maybe I should consider a 2 x 10. Any thoughts?

6. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I've always loved the sound of Supers and Bassmans. Lately, I've been playing with a 2x10 cabinet and am not as excited by the sound. I wonder if you need 4x10s pumping out of the same cabinet to get that sound.

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

I'm really liking the 8X10's in my '73 Ampeg SVT Cab.
    The deep cab design adds amazing bottom and still delivers
    plenty of highs, but not bright as my open back 2X12.
    The tone is more compressed due to the deep closed back, chambered design,
    but it's gutsy as hell with my Hot Cat 100R

I'm definitely interested in having a deep closed back 4X10 built on the same design principle also with AlNiCo's

My 2X12 Vintone Cherry semi open back is louder and delivers more mids to highs with lots of chime.

The added volume is mostly due to the hi efficiency EVM12L and JBL K120

8. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

I've always played a Vibrolux Reverb, so never knew any better. I love the tighter, more articulate tone. BUT, the bottom end is there. 10s can do big bottom just fine. I like the tone, I like the tight, I like the weight of the cab.

My new fave tone is this Freda Live 2x10 paired with my Heritage Colonial:

[​IMG]

Ridiculously BIG tone. 32 lbs. Gonna absolutely have one built for my 6G6-B Bassman, which I've always used with a 4x10 cab. No need, no mo'.

10s rock hard.

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

10's are cool and so are 12's thats why I have a 10" and a 12" in my Fargen Dual Classic combo...

Chow,
    Seegs

10. KazJY

KazJY Member

I always believed in 12's, and then tried a 1x12 Goodsell Super 17 -- right before leaving the store, I plugged into the 2x10 real quick - I liked it much better - more focused, and "tighter" if I can use that word (oops, I already did...). Maybe it depends on the amp...

I am giving 10's their fair shake now.

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Heh...I had the same experience. I keep thinking my old amp was a VT-22 410, but in any case...it had 4 10's, was heavy as hell...had a little lever for tightening the reverb springs for transit, and was one SWEET amp.

I loved the sound of he 10's. So much so that I started looking only at 10's when I wanted to buy amps again after many years...I don't have the VT-whatever anymore.

It's a toss up nowdays. I bought a little template thingy that reduces (and provides mounting screws) a 12" speaker hole to 10, and converted a 2 x 12" cabinet to a 2 x 10". I have liked it, but am not getting that GREAT sound I used to with it.

Generally, I think 12"s are a little "rounder" sounding, which also has its place and I find myself liking them a lot. Also, it depends a lot on which 10's, maybe the ones I got just aren't that good.

I have been using for a few years now a Hot Rod DeVille 410, and it gets me there too.

So it really depends on the amp, the speaker and how much you can afford. For me the answer is having a couple of cabinets, one 2 x 10", a 4 x 12", and a couple 2 x 12's (that I modified so they can run parallel or series together or alone).

That way, head cab or combo extension I can try all the possibilities easily.

12. Jeffj

Jeffj Supporting Member

I am just now really getting into 10's. I have always played 2 X 12's or 1 X 12's. Within the last year or so I have been playing a Princeton & a Princeton Reverb & have found the tone & response I have been looking for for a long time....I think a lot of it is due to the 10" speaker.....

13. bosstone

bosstone Member

A lot of the effect of speakers depends on the size of the cabinet they are in. I have a single 10" detuned cab and I would bet most people who heard it would think they were listening to a 12" speaker if not 2, 12" speakers. People naturally tend to put 10" speakers in small cabs and blame the smallness of the sound on the speaker.

14. FFTT

FFTT Member

This is true, people try to go with small skinny cabs or open backs attempting to make them more portable and sacrifice depth and tone.

A detuned 2X10 would be the same size as a 4X10 but in theory deliver
    as much or more fullness than a 4X10 or 2X12.

15. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I like multiple 10's better than multi 12's for the same reasons everyone has ealready mentioned. I find 2x12 and 4x12 to be woofy or boomy. I find 2x10 / 4x10 to have plenty of tight bass and a more present midrange quality. In short I think 10's compliment guitar frequencies better than 12's.

That said I know several bass players that prefer muliti 10's over 12's as well.

16. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Not that I necessarely like 10's better, but the Goodsell I have with the 2X10's sounds fantastic. I've always had 1 and 2X12 combos, and they have always sounded good, but this G 17 2X10 just sounds amazing. More sound dispersion, tighter focused bottom end, and not a bad sound to be heard. Smokes my HRD 4X10 for sound quality, but not for volume. The G17 2X10 combo sounds every bit as good as my 73SFTR, and its' much smaller and less complicated.

17. bosstone

bosstone Member

2, 10" speakers have 25% more cone area than a single 12" speaker. A 2 X10" cab will be bigger than a 1 X 12" cab and all other variables being equal, the cab with 10"'s will have more bass.

18. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I used EVM 10's for years in an old Acoustic 6x10 bottom with my Mark IIB and always preferred it to 12's...then I tried a butt-load of different 12's in various cabs and liked them ok, but I had a chance to try an old Marshall 1965B and was amazed at how open and natural everything sounded compared to my 12" cabs....now I have a 1965A and a 1965B and these are my favorite cabs to date. Way lighter than my old EV loaded 6x10 and they really kick out the low end!

I see there's one for sale in the Emporium at a fair price and I almost bought it just because.....but I have plenty of cabs so I passed....still would like to have it though!:D

19. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

The Freda, and I suspect the Port City are great choices - big, deep cabs with very functional porting - in my limited experience, adds up to huge tone. Big, but still light and portable, especially the Freda.

20. Roe

Roe Member

10"s have a great, quick attack. this can be very revealing and unforgiving. that might be one of the reasons why people want 12"s instead