• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Anyone prefer a MIM Strat?

Oakley

I like my current classic player 60 Strat as well as any American Strat. It plays better than most I have owned. And the 69 pickups sound fantastic. The Jimmy Vaughan I owned gives me that "one-that-got-away" feeling.

NoBrakes

I'm not really a Strat guy but I've had a few over the years..Claptons, Am Standards, Hwy. In the MIMs I had a 70s reissues and currently have a Guitar Center MIM FSR Classic Player based Strat. It's the one with the Clapton Boost, two Vintage noiseless SCs and the Atomic humbucker. It had a little fret spout but once that was fixed its a fine player. Like the Claptons I like the vintage hardware vs. the modern 2 point bridges, tuners. This this is as good as most of the others I've had. For a guy who doesn't use a Strat as his main it a lot easier on the wallet to boot.

joy-z

I prefer MIM only b/c the neck profile is better for me - a little smaller at the nut.

dazco

But the truss rod man! It sucks the tone right out of he guitar!
/s
Yeah, you keep believing it's BS. That way you'll always have less tone than I, and with such BS mean spirited posting it's what u deserve. You believe what you want, but the fact you feel the need to post mean spirited insults because you simply disagree with something someone posts about guitar tone shows a kindergarten mentality that to me would make any opinion you have highly suspect. Have a nice day kid.

c_mac

Yeah, you keep believing it's BS. That way you'll always have less tone than I, and with such BS mean spirited posting it's what u deserve. You believe what you want, but the fact you feel the need to post mean spirited insults because you simply disagree with something someone posts about guitar tone shows a kindergarten mentality that to me would make any opinion you have highly suspect. Have a nice day kid.
:facepalm

It's forum to talk about gear, homey. Relax, its not like we are solving the world's problems here.

mix2much

I really like my MIM strat but I wouldn't say I prefer it over American models. I will say I am perfectly happy with my choice however.

toomanyamps

Yeah, you keep believing it's BS. ........ that to me would make any opinion you have highly suspect..........
Sorry but your earlier post:

..... Almost ANY vintage designed strat no matter how cheap will usually slaughter a USA standard. .........
makes anything further you say about guitar tone "highly suspect" and people are going to call it as BS.

The Am Std is a good guitar and NO series of Strat is going to "slaughter" it, not MIM Classics, not AVRI's not Custom Shop Reissues.
Somewhat better,slightly better, noticeably better, significantly better are all possible. "Slaughter" isn't happening.

I just disagree with the fundamental concept of charging a grand or more for a Mexican made bolt on guitar. For $300. Great player all day.

Robert1950

I have a Jimmie Vaughan Stratocaster. I liked it better than American Standards I tried. The neck profile (soft V) fits my hand so well. American hardware and electronics may have helped too. Body is a nice weight too.

sonicmayhem

I have a MIA strat and a Billy Corgan (hard tail highway one) strat. I tried Mexican and American strats when buying the standard. The American felt better and sounded better to me. I owned a MIM tele and a highway one tele at the same time. The highway one had fender noiseless pickups in it and the MIM was stock. The MIM sounded like the highway one with the tone turned half way down. Then the body and neck on the MIM could not hold a candle to the Highway One. MIM was gone soon after.

tingtongtone

yeah i do
i have a 2006 classic 60s player and it's better than any u.s standard i've played. real cs69s amazing neck. awesome guitar

Promit

I've found more than enough mediocre MIA standards in stores, and nice MIM standards, and vice versa. Doesn't seem to be much of a quality indicator. More of a specs indicator.

Goldwing

For me, the JV strat is the best in terms of quality/price. You get all the american parts like bridge, electronics, gotoh tuners and it's builded in Mexico. For me, it sounds and plays better than any MIA in the immediate above range like the HG1, american std, etc.

gadzooka

I used to have a '03 American Series Strat, and now I have a 96/98 MIM. I never had these together nor played them through the same amp. The main differences I am aware of are the neck and vibrato. The AmSe had rolled edged which felt nicer than the MIM neck edge does. Also, the AmSe had a spring-loaded vibrato arm that felt better - but that damned spring would always get lost.

For the money, I prefer the MIM. I love both, though.

Oakley

I have owned a few Strats over the years. I like the 60s Classic Player better than any of them. And next in line is the Jimmy Vaughan.

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
I wouldn't say I prefer my MIM's (4) over my 74', but after upgrading the pups and trem there is not a huge difference.
And for the money, $200 used, you really can't beat em.

Trending Topics