Anyone pull the trigger on the AC4 today?

BK Verbs

Gold Supporting Member
SDOTD $219.

In my cart and I can't decide. Had one once before then traded it away. Debating getting another.

MURFF

(formerly zzzzzzz)
Gold Supporting Member
I bought one of those about 3 months ago when they were running the same deal and I didn't care for it at all. It was very very thin sounding with negative low end. I wasn't expecting a huge sound but it was like playing through a tin can. I tried to unload it on TGP and craigslist for the same price as I bought it but there were no takers. The construction was all MDF too :/ A week later I just returned it to MF.

Maybe I got a dud but I'm not going to take that chance again as I installed different tubes and plugged it into different extension speakers all with the same result.

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
Replace C5 with a 400v .022uf sozo or mallory cap and the amp will have all the bass and lower mids to sound really good.
They put the current value in there so you wouldn't overload the crappy 6.5 and 8 inch speakers they came with.
It's a whole other amp with this change, sounds like what it is, the normal AC channel.

Last edited:

Vibroluxman

Replace C5 with a 400v .022uf sozo or mallory cap and the amp will have all the bass and lower mids to sound really good.
They put the current value in there so you wouldn't overload the crappy 6.5 and 8 inch speakers they came with.
It's a whole other amp with this change, sounds like what it is, the normal AC channel.

The Blue is a different model than the TV version you're referring to. It has a tone stack and 10" speaker and an extra 12ax7 (probably for the tone stack).

BK Verbs

Gold Supporting Member
I passed. I'm all set in the small tube amp department. I remembered that I was never really happy with the last one I had.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom