• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Anyone put a 5751 in place of their 12dw7 in the Swart Space tone reverb?

Robapov

I was wondering if anyone had used a 5751 tube, instead of the 12dw7, to drive the reverb in the Swart Space Tone Reverb...I am interested but i want to see if anyone has tried it before i drop $...

any info would be awesome

thanks!
Matt

RobertKeeley

Platinum Supporting Member
Howdy!
It is my understanding that you'll have very low gain on one side, and high gain on the other side of a 12DW7. I think of the D meaing Dual to remember that. That said, you'll experience higher gain in some part of the circuit and possibly lower gain in another. It may be just what your ears ordered, then again it may sound bad.
Just my simple understanding, wait for a tube-guru to weigh in I guess.
rk

CitizenCain

More than likely he's using the low gain/high current side (like a 12AU7) of the tube to drive the reverb tranny. The 5751 might not have the cojones to do the job and you'd end up burning out the tube.

mark norwine

More than likely he's using the low gain/high current side (like a 12AU7) of the tube to drive the reverb tranny. The 5751 might not have the cojones to do the job and you'd end up burning out the tube.
Now, that is VERY sound reasoning. I'd want to know the exact purpose for the "U side" before I subbed anything.

Contrary to popular belief, not all dual triodes are interchangeable.

bluetweed

Silver Supporting Member
I did this on the AST/the 12Au7 side was the reverb, so the dwell was kicked up on the reverb which made it sound much better and deeper/it was a little whimpy and splashey before the change/the other side of a 12dwy is a 12axy, so the RCA 5751 actually had as much gain or more than the 12ax7 new build it replaced (new 12ax7 tubes hardly ever reach a gain of 100)/everyone who heard the amp liked it much better with the 5751

Trending Topics