Anyone put a Bigsby on their Tele?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shark_bite, May 6, 2009.

1. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Can you give me even one good reason why I wouldn't want to do this?

2. Kingbeegtrs

Kingbeegtrs Senior Member

If you plan to keep it go for it. If you think you'll ever want to sell it keep in mind that it will be hard to find someone who wants it.

For some strange reason the only color people seem to want a bigsby on is black???

I made one with Burgundy Mist once and it took me a coon's age to get rid of it.

It's one of those things that people either really love or really hate.

If you set it up correctly it should be a very nice instrument.....use the "mustang" bridge - not the jaguar bridge.

3. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

It'd go on a sunburst Rocketfire/self-relic'd alder/RW parts Tele... not too worried about resale. This is my number 1 guitar and I don't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting out what I put in from a monetary perspective. That was never my intention though - just wanted a guitar I could play the hell out of for years and years to come. I can't really bend the neck when I'm playing up higher on the fretboard. However, I know the bridge is a big part of the sound. How much would this probably change if I went from three brass saddles string-through-body to a Bigsby?

4. Kingbeegtrs

it becomes a totally different guitar. They play different, sound different, and feel different. I'd suggest going to some music stores and checking them out. Definitely not my cup of tea...but in the right hands they are so nice to listen to.

ChampReverb likes this.
  5. dunara

dunara Member

That wasn't my experience at all. I put a Bigsby on my Thinline - cut the back out of the existing bridge - and the change in the guitar was almost imperceptable. Except that now I had this wonderfully expressive tool at my disposal. The guitar still stays in tune, still sounds great and feels exactly the same - except, as I said - now it's got a Bigsby on it!
    Whack on a whammy - you won't regret it! :AOK

6. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Maybe I just need another Tele.

7. Kingbeegtrs

THINLINE being the operative word. You didn't have a tele to begin with.

8. Guitarhero27

Guitarhero27 Member

9. Kingbeegtrs

10. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Silver Supporting Member

Here's one of my earliest builds ( probably 5-6 yrs ago )

It was a great guitar but I wanted a bigsby and wanted barrel saddles so I dremel'd out the back wall of the bridge

the weight changed but the tone pretty remained the same. It wasn't exactly a "tele" w/ a Tom Holmes humbucker in the bridge but it sounded great before and after the bigsby mod

[​IMG]

11. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Now see that's pretty slick. I'm not sure I want to do that to the bridge Nick aged so nicely for me but maybe I should pick up another bridge to try it out.

12. DANOCASTER

Pat Pending bridge plates are only $12 at Musician's Friend :AOK

Plus - if you ask nicely - I'm sure Mr Sorenson will age another plate for you

13. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

It's a thought, but don't kid yourself - if I have a spare aged bridge hanging around, there's a 99% chance that I'll use that as proper rationalization for building a whole 'nother Tele. I have a serious problem.

14. ginormous

ginormous Member

One of the (bad ass) guys that plays with Neko Case has a Bigsby Tele. It sounds awesome. He was attacking it with some banjo pics on Letterman or Leno (maybe both).
    Go for it!

15. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

You know, on second thought - couldn't this possibly work with a stock top loader bridge like the one Jim Campilongo uses on his Tele? If not, would I maybe have to adjust the neck angle? I'd be curious to see a bigger/higher-resolution photo of this to see exactly what you dremeled and what you left alone.

16. DANOCASTER

that guitar is LONG gone and I dont have really any good pics. The ones I do have aren't very large ( these pics are full size )

here's the other shot I have - sans Bigsby. The little cut-outs go lower than the look. The pic is misleading - they go almost to the bottom

[​IMG]

17. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Actually that gives me a perfect idea of what you did, and I wouldn't feel too bad about doing that to the bridge I've got. Not like it's completely irreplaceable anyway. So thanks!

18. niner

niner Member

Hey Dan- curious why you don't like Bigsbys on Teles? just the weight issue?

19. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I think I just liked a post from 2009.

I doubt that the OP's great-grandchildren are even still alive.

-bEn r.

20. DANOCASTER

I Love bigsbys and have them on several Gibson / Guild / Gretsch guitars.. But IMO - the B5 for bigsby doesnt really alter the pitch like a B7 , it adds a bunch of weight , the arm hovers right over the 3 way and volume knob , and ( to do it like Fender did it ) it requires a different bridge that changes the vibe as well